DT bug reports - OS 1.02

I connected my digtakt up to my roland workstation as a slave last night to see how things went, I didnt ask the digitakt to do anything other than start, stop and keep time and it seemed to perform the task but something I did notice was that when in sync the tempo screen showed a regular drift from 120bpm to 120.2bpm, I was only using a 4 bar loop on the workstation and didnt hear any lack of tightness but that may have down to the shortness of the loop. I shall try a long loop later to see if I can hear any difference, strange though.

Midi clock drifting like that is pretty normal. Happens on most machines.

2 Likes

Should the 0.2 drift then become part of the global timing on the digitakt, I had to turn the dial to the top or bottom to change it from 120.2 back to whole numbers again as it affected all patterns in the project even when disconected.
Is it possible to move the digitaktā€™s tempo in decimals?, I havā€™nt noticed it if you can.

Wasnā€™t freezing up when slaved supposed to be fixed with 1.02? Clocked to Ableton and constant freezing upā€¦ not giving up on it yet but hoping thereā€™s a better resolution than ā€œwell at least I can take it to my couch and work in standaloneā€? Tried as master too, still freezes. Using USBā€¦ Is it USB vs midi? Feeling gutted- really want this to work but OB functionality depends on USB- if thatā€™s not stable itā€™s game over for me.

@EtanTloh Elektron is aware of this and is currently working on a fix, next os coming soonā€¦

I midi synced my DT to my A4 for the first time last night. Worked perfectly. No glitches at all. DT was set as master.

OS 1.02

1 Like

I might have found something that helps, so Iā€™m pinging @Olle and @Ess on this.

I record midi out from my Reface CS or Sub37 into the Digitakt, and then sequence that back for immediate sampling into the Digitakt.

I get frequent crashes with the Reface, almost none with the Sub37.

The Reface doesnā€™t really filter Midi data. Itā€™s an on or off thing. The Sub37 can exclude a lot of incoming and outgoing Midi, though, and in my case, it does.

So it seems the sheer volume of midi transmitted at any one point, dramatically increases the risk for a crash.

2 Likes

Right, only most machines wonā€™t tell you when itā€™s drifting.

Indeed. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a little bit of drifting.

http://www.flygfesten.com/bildmaterial/programpunkter/drift_flygfesten.jpg

1 Like

you write you synced your DT to your A4 ā€¦ but then you write DT was the master

thatā€™s a bit bit misleading. You know the problem only (or in at least 99% the cases) appears when the DT is the Syncslave

No I didnā€™t know that the midi crash issues were solely with the DT as slave. Iā€™d never midiā€™d up my DT unit before, so I didnā€™t pay attention to the specifics of that problem.

Not in my case. DTā€™s the boss but keeps midi crashing. I think itā€™s more of a stack overflow thing.

interestingā€¦ i had yesterday 1 case of a freeze with DT as master ā€¦ but it worked generally a lot better then as slave

hope elektron find s the reason for the bug soonish ā€¦ without proper midi-sync the DT feels at least for me more like a nice toy than a serious studio-device

1 Like

Hope the randomness of the midi freezes doesnā€™t mean itā€™s an insurmountable bug for the devs- so many permutations to ppls crashes, seems unlikely they would be able to cure all in the next OS.

Track sounds fantastic! Are you able to send midi program changes? That seems to be the only thing that I can consistently get the DT to lock up with. Itā€™s just weird that some have more midi problems than others.

Iā€™ve had a crash with only midi out running from the DT into my Tanzmaus, simply setting up CCs for the Tanzmaus. I wasnā€™t even send midi note data (AFAIK). However the setup wasnā€™t 100% vanilla, I had 7 tracks on the DT set to the same channel (1). Were you sending the same channel on more than one track?

2 Likes

I will have to send a ticket for this, donā€™t see it in this thread.

Iā€™ve had it happen with two different patterns todayā€¦get a few drum tracks going on the DT by itself, but then when I fire the DT from my sequencer, it looks like itā€™s playing, but one or more of the tracks goes silent. Then I can tap the pad for the silent track(s) once, and it will (sometimes) make noise again. Absolutely nothing to do with either pattern or global mutes, itā€™s like itā€™s playing but needs me to remind it to make sound. Rebooting doesnā€™t help. I assume itā€™s something to do with incoming midi signal, though I havenā€™t tried unplugging midi and trying it alone, yet.

1 Like

No - the sequencer wasnā€™t even running. I was just going in to each track, setting the CCs and then changing the value while tapping a pad to make sure that they were working. The only thing I can think of is that I had about 4 tracks all set to ch 1, with maybe 5 or 6 CCs set up on each. If there is some kind of ā€œinvisibleā€ wobble on the encoders and that effects the tracks non currently selected as well, then I suppose the DT might have crashed because it was trying to send too many CCs at once. Currently there isnā€™t a way to deactivate a CC once itā€™s been turned on (AFAIK). I did build a drum pattern via midi with p-locked CCs after the crash with no problems, but from my point of view the crash occurred with no note data coming out of the DT and no midi cable connected to the DTā€™s MIDI IN DIN or USB.

Also, MIDI INDIN is now my new side-project pseudonym. :wink:

Also also - I didnā€™t realize that you couldnā€™t see p-locked MIDI CCs. I hope they fix that one soon too.

Ah, yes. While they were muted, I had three tracks all set to Channel 1.

Maybe thatā€™s it thenā€¦Iā€™ll try to replicate it after I get home tonight.

1 Like