DT as Main soundcard?

Yes, that should be possible. I aggregated a DT and some Roland Boutiques back in the day.

1 Like

Thank you @craig :pray:
For the moment, I am just delighted to be able to use DT as main soundcard and its L+R inputs for monitoring external synths :slight_smile:

Off topic but wanted to share it: before the water pipe ā€œincidentā€, I had all my synths/groove boxes/controllers etc set up. I was actually getting to the point of being overwhelmed by all the gear. This ā€œincidentā€ has forced me to work with one bit of gear at a time, therefore developing more knowledge about each piece. It has been the case with MicroFreak, DT and now getting into my Blofeld :slight_smile: Since Blofeld is multitimbral, I plan on working with DT in conjunction with Blofeld to see where it takes meā€¦

For the future, I plan on getting a patchbay at and aggregating both MOTU and DT as soundcards to see where it takes meā€¦ Will then most likely sell my Midas Venice 160ā€¦ To fund a DN or Hydrasynth desktop.

2 Likes

:scream:

:sob:

Yeah, youā€™ll need a separate (but cheap) midi interface or a soundcard with Midi on it, Iā€™m afraid.

It works as stated :slight_smile:
Thank you ever so much for your help :pray:

6 Likes

Nice!

Hi @Eaves
I have a question (promise it will be the last one).
DT has to be in OB mode?
Therefore to monitor the L+R inputs of the DT, I presume OB (the app) has to be opened.
I ask because you mentioned in an earlier message that:

I believe you refer to the VST?
I ask as OB has a tendency to crash. Not often though.
Just wanted to clarify.
Thanks again for your time, much appreciated indeed.
:pray:

1 Like

I donā€™t use neither the VST or the standalone Digitakt program, but I do have the overbridge engine running in the background (for me it starts up automatically when turning on my pc). When th DT is in overbridge mode, I can select it as the audio interface in FL Studio.

1 Like

Thank you once again for your answer.
I really appreciate you taking the time.
So far I was using OB to multi track from DT only, not using L+R inputs, which I believe is the culprit i.e. I never had a crash while multi tracking.
Now that I have had the Blofeld connected, it has been happening a few times. Sound stops coming out, including whatever being generated outside DT/Blofeld (YT for example).
Have to restart my Mac.
I am not going to bother too much and will take the DAW route :slight_smile:
Thanks again man :pray:

1 Like

Just noticed this threadā€¦

Iā€™ve had good luck using OB with my DT. I have it as my sound card, and have it set up with Bitwig. I also use the L/R inputs to run my Argon8 through the DT into Bitwig.
I also use the DT VST to sync, and for total recall.

If I have time I could record a video explaining how I have it set up (if there is interest). It took me a lot of trial and error to get it all working :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the offer. Very kind from you :pray:
As mentioned earlier, I was only using DT in OB mode to multi-track in my DAW (Reaper).
Recently I found out I could monitor the L+R inputs in OB mode through the app under Mac but also in my DAW (thanks again @Eaves).
That would be interesting indeed to see a guide on how to do this although after a few crashes using the app just tracking my Blofeld, I took the DAW route, as stated earlier.
On top of that, I am not sure Reaper is supported.
But yeah, It would be nice if you are willing to show around :pray:

1 Like

You donā€™t need to setup an aggregate device in Mac. Overbridge handles ALL inputs and outputs from Digitakt. Leave your sound card selected in the preferences. Enable all inputs and outputs in the overbridge engine.

1 Like

@StreetDeezy
Unfortunately OB is not stable enough for me at this stage. As stated earlier it has crashed a few times on me. Although I like the idea of working with just DT and one synth in DTā€™s inputs, monitoring through my DAW, my MOTU is more reliable.

I donā€™t use the plug-in, I myself only use the standalone app for tracking.

@Phillip
Just using the app I also get crashes when tracking the L+R line inputs on the DTā€¦ Not the case when tracking only DTā€¦
Weird :thinking:

Are you using a USB hub or plugging directly in? Iā€™ve had issues with OB when using a hub that were solved when going the direct route, so that may be something to consider.

@OverneathTheSkybridge
Not using a hub.
Though I believe the culprit is when I start tracking L+R line inputs of DT using OB.
I believe there is no other way (USB+audio mode?) to monitor line inputs on the DT.
Will have to go back to using my external soundcard (MOTU UltraLite MK3).

Are you on the latest version?

1 Like

You canā€™t access the MIDI Out port direcly for sending SYSEX etc. from your computer but you can:

• Use the MIDI Out port to play an external synth from your DAW if you select a MIDI track on the Digitakt. All MIDI notes which come in via USB will then be forwarded to the physical MIDI Out port of the Digitakt
  • The same goes for the MIDI In port: When you select a MIDI track on the Digitakt, all MIDI notes played on an external keyboard (which is connected to the physical MIDI In port) will be forwarded via USB to your DAW.

For both youā€™ll need to configure the INPUT FROM and OUTPUT TO settings to MIDI+USB (Settings -> MIDI Config).

1 Like

Latest indeed.
Though it is weird how stable it is when tracking DT only. The moment I track its L+R inputs, it crashes after a while.