DT as Main soundcard?

Hi to all :slight_smile:
I have a question: since I had to dismantle my entire setup due to a broken water pipe in my studio, I am now working in another room in the house.
As I cannot set up as it was before, I am trying to restrict to the minimum.
I intend to use DT as my main soundcard and wanted to ask a question: can the inputs on the DT serve as a line in to connect a synth?
I know they cannot serve that purpose normally but maybe OB help in that regard if DT is set as soundcard.
Thanks.

1 Like

Oh man, that sucks. I hope everything turns out fine!

When using the DT as an audio interface, the L/R inputs can be accessed as one stereo track or two mono tracks in a DAW. There’s no preamp though, so guitars and stuff will come in pretty low.

1 Like

Nope, wont work as the inputs arent connected to USB audio. You can not use it as a proper interface.

I think this is the case when using it in class compliant USB mode, but when using it as an audio interface in Overbridge mode (not necessarily using the OB plugin), you can access to the inputs.

2 Likes

Caught it just before disaster :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Having me lost here :joy:

From what I understand, there are 2 ways: OB or class compliant mode. What you guys are saying is class compliant would NOT let me access the inputs on DT whereas OB mode (whether using OB plugin or not) would let me access the inputs?

Yeah, under Settings -> System -> USB Config, you have have these options:

If you’re in overbridge mode and use the DT as an audio interface, you have access to these tracks:

At the bottom of both lists you have the inputs as either a stereo track or two mono tracks.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @Eaves and @ghostbuddy for chiming in.
Therefore if I want to have the following temporary setup: DT as soundcard and a synth plugged in DT’s inputs, I should use DT in OB mode?

1 Like

My pleasure, man. And yeah, that’s how I have my DT set up.

1 Like

Then I have a couple of stupid questions:

1. What is the point of both options? OB mode / USB mode?
  2. Also based on your screenshot, I could use 2 mono synths in the DT’s inputs? One on L input and the other on R input?
  3. Would that work the same if I added a second sound card (aggregated in Mac), therefore giving me 1 stereo pair/2 mono ins on the DT + inputs on the other soundcard (MOTU UltraLite MK3)?
    Sorry for wasting your time @Eaves it is a bit all new to me as I had discarded OB up until now :slight_smile:
1 Like
  1. I haven’t used USB mode at all since Overbridge mode does everything I need. You need to install overbridge on your computer for this to work, though. I hear that USB mode lets you send audio over USB to ipads and other devices where you can’t install Overbridge.
  2. Yep! Tested it just now, the L and R mono tracks work like that.
  3. Can’t help you there, haven’t tried that myself.

No problem!

4 Likes

Thanks a LOT @Eaves.
Really appreciate the detailed answers, screenshots and your time, especially on a Sunday :slight_smile:
I will test the aggregate device to see. That would be a killer feature as that is the extra line INs (or 1 stereo).
Again, THANKS :pray:

1 Like

I was already using OB for multi tracking the DT.
So I am good to go.
I just did not know at all about those inputs since they could not be used as line INs while using DT in standalone mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I was pretty happy when I found out you could monitor the inputs in stereo when using it as an audio interface. Whenever I use the DT and DN together though, I usually take the DT’s outs into the DN’s ins because you have more control over the inputs there.

1 Like

Well I have to say I am pondering VERY seriously buying a DN.
Mainly thanks to your YT video on setting up both together :slight_smile:

I’m gonna piggyback on your thread because I too had to set up my Digi as the main card now but for different reasons than yours, I cannot access my main card for at least a few months.

My question is: can the digitakt serve the purpose of a midi interface and allow for firmware update of another machine via midi?

No idea whatsoever @Phillip
Sorry cannot help on this…

1 Like

I’ll try to answer my own question later today in case nobody else can before me. I’ll report back anyway, I just need to get out of bed :joy:

1 Like

Not possible. USB midi is not connected in any way to the physical Midi Out :frowning: