DSI Rev2

Rev2 is the answer if the (poly) Iridium is what you would rather have.
The 8 voice version is enough, and being two synths in split that’s twice the synth a Pro3 is. I mean, 4 Rev2 voices in unison with a little slop dialled in can be massive.

True. But I can’t use the Reverb on the Rev2. I like the others, but that reverb is so weak, so I go outboard with a Ventris. If you add the cost of a Rev2 (8voice desktop) to a Ventris, it’s still way cheaper than the Prophet~6. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

1 Like

damn it, want to have it now. This is one great synth. But too expensive just to play it sometimes and that’s usally the case, isn’t it? Maybe not or maybe it’s fine to have this synth just because it’s classic…

i agree it is pretty weak. chorus is great, phasers are…strange…the first phaser is waaayyy too much and you really have to tame it. the second is too weak. same with the flangers.

the distortion is might good, though. put that bad boy on some leads and you got a stew goin’, bucko.

I’ve used the High Pass filter fx a few times, sweeping its cutoff wth the aux ENV or LFO.
Not to be overlooked.

You mean the HP filter I presume?

I don’t like the reverbs, phasers and flangers. I don’t really know what to think of the delays. I like the ring mod a lot, as well as the chorus. It’s subtle and blends really well.

1 Like

Thanks, yeh, HPF it is.
I suppose the one thing the Rev2 FXs do have going for them, is that the mix and both parameters are all individual modulation destinations. LFO mods to the ring mod tuning is pretty interesting sometimes.

1 Like

Yep, It’s a pity that REV2 has the Hight Pass Filter avaiable only as a quite weak FX.

Chorus is really great though.

Digitone is on my list, but I still feel quite weak at FM synthesis. I did some FM patches using Deluge, but there are only 2 operators, so algorithms are quite basic. You can listen to the example in the video below (patch no 3 at 1:03):

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if you aren’t currently an expert on FM synthesis if you use the Digitone. The interface is amazing, and very intuitive. (but still deep enough to keep you busy for a long time) I would recommend it for a first FM experience.

2 Likes

all the more reason to get a digitone lol

1 Like

Prophet 6 and Rev 2 have different filters. I went with the Prophet 6 because I liked the sound of the filter more. FX are great. It can sound stable, it can sound full of life, it can sound unstable. I never missed more modulations on the Prophet 6. But I didn‘t want to create experimental sounds. I want to do what the prophet can do best: amazing lush sounding synth chords and pads! It also can do great monophonic sounds. But the p6 is not the best choice when it comes to deep bass sounds because of thr clicky envelopes. So for this the rev2 or pro3 i a better choice I guess.

Back off on the OSC levels, the filter peak point, and the AMP amount. (Make up the gain in your mixer if needed/or Sub OSC.) I’ve read often about this clicking attributed the excessiveness of the OSCs/LPF/Amp. Most often, people refer to the P6 most closely resembles the P5 when these three parameters are reigned back. And the P5 patches on the P6 also reflect this.

2 Likes

This is interesting. Does this apply to the Rev2 as well?

Also, I’m really growing to like my Rev2 a lot as I explore it more and more every day. I tried sitting down and just making experimental sounds and got some pretty wild stuff. Today I made a really straight-forward pluck sound and was so happy with the snappiness of the envelopes.

It’s honestly…too deep? Like, I get done making a patch and think “I literally haven’t even done 1/4 of what this synth can do.” I’ve never once messed with making a B patch. I usually use up all four LFOs (i’ve always been an LFO fiend and wish the OT had more LFOs), but then only end up using two or three bits in the mod matrix.

Just started playing around with the gated and poly sequencers today. I wish there was a way to transpose the poly sequencer but there doesn’t seem to be? So it’s almost like I should (hypothetically) program a chord progression and play over that.

My one gripe is the fact that it only has one FX slot. I very, very often want chorus+reverb or ring mod+reverb, or delay+reverb…I should honestly just buy a reverb pedal or something at this point–but there is something to be said for being able to modulate FX parameters with any mod source–which I’ve done with ring mod and delay. I’ve always got it running into my interface and I could load up my DAW but it’s just not as fun. When I sit down for a sound design session with the Prophet I like it to just be a self-contained session.

1 Like

I suppose you could point a slow square LFO at what ever it is that the sequencer triggers. If the duty cycle can match the sequence length?

The clicking? I find It does on some factory patches, but not on the ones that I make.

same. biggest shortcoming for sure. wish it had two like the P6/OB6. that’d be perfect. it’s fine to plug in a guitar pedal or whatever, but it’s also nice to have the patches be self-contained.

still… most of my synths have zero effects and I have to add them externally. so it’s only a minor gripe. TONS to explore and enjoy about the machine otherwise, as you mentioned.

1 Like

Rev2 seems like a synth that fits great with an Octatrack. The bi timbral aspect really speaks to me as I am a minimalist. I basically only want to use octatrack and one synth.

A4 seems like the obvious choice but I want a knobby synth. So the Rev 2 seems perfect to be honest.

But my hesitation is more towards the aspect of it not being experimental enough.

Can it get freaky?

Short answer is yes. More-so than most modern poly-synths. It has a TON of modulation ability. There’s a VCA-hold mode that you can make polyphonic drone sounds with. Toss the simulated BBD-Delay on, and you have soundscapes for years. :smiley: If poly isn’t a requirement though, then maybe look at the Pro-3. If non Sequential, maybe the Hydra. (or possibly one of the new Waldorfs)

Poly is definitely not a necessity as I feel like the music I make is more about filling a void with synths (the main staple is percussion and vocals)

But small size is a necessity. Therefor the rev 2 desktop looks really enticing. On the surface the rev 2 seems like just “another” subtractive synth as it doesn’t have any dedicated knobs for say fm or am. But with the extensive mods it seems like you can get into that territory by some creative mods.

I really like the sound of the Rev 2 so that speaks a lot for it.

1 Like

The Rev2 can definitely get experimental…It’s really up to you. 4 LFOS, 8 mod slots, a third assignable envelope, two different kinds of sequencers, arp…You can kind of just go wherever you want.

Guess it depends how you define experimental. One of my first synths I learned synthesis on was a Novation Bass Station II and I made some fairly experimental sounds that my friends complained hurt their ears. I was quite proud of them lol. Most synths these days are probably more capable than a BSII.

No, it doesn’t have FM or AM or wavetable. If you want newer kind of sounds I would look at the Hydrasynth desktop. Actually, for my money, a Hydrasynth desktop costs about $400 less than a Prophet Rev2 desktop and personally I would go that route. Like if I had to decide between the two. I was actually deciding between the two keyboard versions a few months back and went with Rev2 because they’re comparable in price and I decided I wanted an analog synth–not wavetable–just because I’ve never actually owned an analog synth. Not that I care about that whole debate! I love all synths! But I still wanted my very own analog with a nice keyboard for myself.

EDIT: I’m going through sold listings of the ASM Hydrasynth desktop and a used one can go from $600 to $700 which is an insanely good price…That comes out to almost half the cost of a Rev2 8-voice desktop. I know you said you wanted something knobby, but from what I’ve heard about the Hydra, everything you want to reach is just a click away.

1 Like

I have a couple of drones I’ll dig up just for an idea of some of the less typical sounds. Only a scratch of the surface too as I made them right after I got mine. I’ll post them as soon as I find them.

1 Like

Good advice!

You can do some AM/FM sounds on the Rev2 but not even close to something like the Hydra. I picked up a Prologue 16 and I’m really liking the digital parts for that. However one LFO cripples things a bit. It’s still a respectable mix of both worlds though.

I’d still lean Hydra for crazier stuff though like you said.

Or maybe a small rack of Noise Engineering modules?