Drum n' Bass Battle #3 (Cinematic Noir Edition) [SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!]

Why not now? What do you need to get started?

Breaks?

1 Like

@mrcrappypantson

This site has everything you need.

And it’s all free.

1 Like

Here is a little sample gem… I will never touch this soundtrack… I don’t want to ruin it for my own listening pleasure by scrubbing over the audio a millions times making a mediocre track.

2 Likes

Haven’t made a start yet but have an idea on the direction i want to take it.

Been busy with trying to help a friend with recording guided meditation and trying to create my own ambient backing track instead of using existing stuff. Must say im learning a lot of new things and may even use some techniques for this battle :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Classic French noir shit here

Lalo is the king of 70s soundtracks, his scoring was utter perfection imho… don’t even get me started on the enter the dragon and magnum force stuff, I could listen to that all day long and never be bored of it…

3 Likes

I found this clean as well… its the main theme, about halfway thru. Good catch!

This is just Jazzy!

1 Like

Bought this soundtrack on record years ago at a fair back when i was into collecting bboy breaks etc.

Check out that drumbreak at 40 second mark!

3 Likes

F#*k me that’s good.

1 Like

Hmm convinced myself to skip this round and focus on school but found a what I believe to be unused 60s break so I might do something anyway. Total chaos!

1 Like

What are you studying?

Western esotericism to become a timberhouse preservationist is the plan. How that makes sense is a secret :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha. I know what those words mean individually, but together? I’m sure it has context.

I was just asking because I’m in school as well.

1 Like

Had a go at making my own old break and then resampling. Quite fun but far from sounding right. I think the original break needs to be faster and less complicated.

At least I’m playing and learning!

Resampling on the op-z isn’t possible, and slicing is a little painful. What is the best hardware groovebox for slicing beats and mangling them a bit?… MPC One? Polyend Tracker?

1 Like

I have a both the sp404 and Maschine mk 3.

I am very fond of both. I like the 404 for its immediacy and baked in resampling workflow.

The Maschine is a broader workstation. It has a more expanded workflow and a little steeper learning curve, but chopping is more robust, and the arranger is far superior. Resampling is not as intuitive or immediate.

1 Like

Improving the break, if a little messy and chaotic!

1 Like

Yeah mate that’s a classic love that tune…:+1:Theres a set of rare groove compilations that I keep in my playlist called dusty fingers, it’s chock full of tunes like that, well worth grabbing if you can find them…

3 Likes

I like how you are experimenting and showing your process.

Thank you for that!

It’s interesting to explore the contrast from chaos to order, and if you are needing a variation, you could mute some elements for a couple bars, and bring it back in for a drop.

You can get a lot of ground from just a single break, and you should be very proud with what you made.

Using pre made breaks locks you in, but making a break from scratch gives you so many options to show off your efforts!

1 Like

You know, I want to bring up a good point. I am starting to realize that you don’t have to stay on a specific device if you’re fighting the process.

I’ll give an example. I made a sketch using a drum loop on the 404, but playing in something with the MC101 sing a Keystep pro.

Could not make a baseline because the warble was messing me up that the sound had on the 101.

So I was ruminating on a solution, and I realized I should go into Logic and use the piano roll instead of refiring the pattern over and over and over.

Plus a new environment might shake up the blockage.

1 Like

Damn, I’m really struggling this time around. I’ve got an appropriate film noir and have sampled and chopped to get a good starting melody but every time I return to it, Logic complains that some of external device is presenting an odd sample rate (“Error while trying to synchronise Audio and MIDI”).
I’ve restarted a few times but the issue keeps coming back :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: