Drum n' Bass Battle #2 (Arcade Edition) [Playlist is up! SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!]

My first try. Sampled the goat Metroid Prime for some ambient vibes as a base.

2 Likes

Oh! can you submit your track privately so everyone can vote on them blindly?

And if you can send via file sharing, that way I can download it and add it to a playlist on Soundcloud for everyone together

1 Like

Well it’s not done yet. :smiley: But I will when it is then. I like sharing/hearing people’s progress though… :confused: :joy:

1 Like

After the voting, there is a big reveal on who produced what, then everybody talks about what they did.

I don’t want to discourage you though, it’s just part of these battles! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

The menus in this game are pure joy

1 Like

Would you be interested if I started another Mission Brief that isn’t battle oriented?

I’m playing around with the idea of a thread with a prompt, or even a specific sample, where there isn’t any rules or deadlines, and it could be more geared for ongoing tracks, just to share ongoing progress?

EDIT.

Here is the thread for what became of this idea!

7 Likes

I think you should organise these challenges how you see fit :slight_smile: I just like posting snapshots/wips etc. in either this, the Jamuary or Current Sounds thread especially if it’s in a genre I generally don’t dabble in.

But sure: I wouldn’t mind more ‘open ended’ genre prompts/briefs

1 Like

I see the appeal of WIP’s outside of a battle format.

I was in the mood to throw up a YouTube video to sample from and casually make a beat from, maybe something more mainstream.

Something I can change out once a week, but keep a running list of old prompts so people can join in whenever they feel like it.

Once people are super done with the track, I could even put a playlist up on SoundCloud, since I paid to post unlimited tracks. Try to get my moneys worth.

What are you in the mood for as the first prompt?

Maybe something 80’s or 90’s?

Or a rap acapella?

1 Like

A random mission brief without voting is always fun.

4 Likes

I’m really not a rap/hiphop guy so I’m not the right person to answer the acapella question…

But a themed youtube sample challenge sounds like fun. 80s, 90s, cartoons, sitcoms, car ads, nature documentaries, influencer synth reviews… plenty of fun things :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, this is perfect. There was one that had me gassing real hard. Then I talked myself out of it.

I find it real quick and post it up and change it out every Sat.

I’ll tag you in it.

This will be fun.

1 Like

Hopefully this is a fine place for this question –

A few years ago, I found a drum and bass mixing tutorial on Reddit, and it was really good. I’ve been trying to find it again but without any luck. It was more about fitting sounds properly in space which they described as a room, and IIRC the tutorial was a PDF or some sort of doc within an iframe.

Probably a long shot, but anyone happen to know what I’m talking about?

2 Likes

I think I know what you’re talking about, though it’s not dnb specific. It’s from a book about mixing fundamentals. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: The Art of Mixing by David Gibson?

2 Likes

Ohh that looks pretty good, but isn’t what I remember. I’m pretty sure the one I’m thinking of was specifically a drum and bass mixing tutorial, or maybe on a dnb forum/site? It wasn’t a book and was short enough that I read it over a couple lunch breaks.

Heres something I just cooked up… Its not related to the battle, but I was just in the mood to make some DnB.

1 Like

Interesting - I’m curious now. Dogs on Acid is the only really active dnb forum I know of. Was it on there?

I am having the most fun doing this challenge.

5 Likes

Mission accomplished

3 Likes

I struggling for time right now to get seriously stuck in but Tuesday night is green lit, so hopefully I’ll have a submission on the way soon :muscle::+1:

1 Like

I really look forward to it!