Drum machine ideas?

So I am on the fence whether or not to get an Elektron Rytm or some other drum machine. I am obsessed with drums and sequencers and samplers. Already have an A4 and OT which are fun and great but drum synthesizers are super awesome. I am looking at some new drum stuff from Soma like the very expensive Pulsar machine as well as the cool sounding AVP RItmobox from Russia. Thoughts? It would be tons of fun to have a portable beat making box to use in my office in between work breaks or grab on the go to jam instead of lugging a large modular system everywhere.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call any of them portable. But yeah, Rytm all the way, especially as you already have 2/3 of the Dark Trinity. Being able to save your creations is a huge benefit and then you’ll be able to bring them home to your setup. Do the Russian boxes save anything?

2 Likes

I don’t know about those non Elektron drum machines specifically, but I like some variety in my setup. I think Elektron boxes tend to lead me down a certain path creatively and using only Elektron machines to make music reinforces that.

1 Like

yes it allows you to save patterns in memory on the AVP Ritomobox. From the user manual:

• Mute/Unmute the five sounds in any order.
    START/STOP button – starts and stops the sequencer;
    STEPS button – selects step modes (1-8 and 9-16);
    8/16 button – turns on 16-step mode;
    9-16 button – turns on 9-16 steps for programming;
    LOAD button – loads a saved programmed pattern from memory (16 slots);
    SAVE button – stores the programmed pattern to memory (16 slots);
    TEMPO control – controls the speed of the steps.

Still paying almost 1k for a cool beatbox that lacks the power of the Elektron gear is still unsure of. Also near impossible to find local USA dealers that sell them. Jomox is another consideration but I’ve heard the UI is less than ideal.

3 Likes

Model:Cycles maybe? It´s a very versatile little drumsynth…battery handle now available…

3 Likes

Yeah, I got mine for this purpose and it’s turning out to be great for all kinds of other stuff. Will be selling my TT-606 as it’s way more versatile and fun.

Rytm all the way!!!

2 Likes

yea a buddy has one and said he would let me try out his rytm. I will do that before deciding. That or Jomox would be fun or maybe Tanzibar v2? Sad that here in the USA, getting access to the cool new european drum boxes is difficult!

1 Like

Zanzibar. It’s Zanzibar.

3 Likes

The one thing that makes the Rytm stand apart from its competitors is its sampling capabilities. Running samples through its analog filters is straight heaven.

3 Likes

This and combining analog drums with sample layers through the filters/distortion. Only the Tempest can compete on that front.

3 Likes

Pound for pound, I don’t think there are many instruments as good as the Analog Rytm Mk2, not just drum machines.

And when it comes to drum machines, nothing else I’ve used comes close.
The performance features of the Rytm are superb and unparalleled, mix that in with the Elektron Seq possibilities and it soon becomes your go-to.

1 Like

I keep a Tanzbär 1, Model:Cycles and a few pocket operators in my work drawer for when it’s slow. Tanzbär 2 stays at home it’s too precious. Tempest, Roland MC’s (101 and TR-6S) and Nord Drum 2 also in the arsenal depends on the vibe.

It’s super important to have multiple drum machines at home and work.

2 Likes

The RYTM has no equal imo but the TR6S is amazing value, you get ACB, FM, and sample playback, its super portable and runs on batteries. Its my “poor man’s RYTM” lol

3 Likes

Can’t you not add user samples to tempest. Amazing unique box but definitely a let down.

Otoh you’re not roped into certain machines in certain places.

1 Like

How do you feel the modeling you gain compares with the maybe broader feature set of the mc-101 - I’ve been loving the 101 as my bedside groovebox.

Just looked it up. You’re right. Okay, so Rytm MKII is the king of sampling drum machines, end of story.

2 Likes

Im not fussed, I really wanted “just a drum machine” so I feel like the MC101 would have possibly been a compromise for my use case

TR-606 for simple (TR-06 could be even more fun)
Octatrack for endless workflows. With samplechains, it just kills.

I miss the Volca Drum sometimes. The sequencer isn’t amazing, but it could make some rad beats. Real small and cheap, and can be externally sequenced.

2 Likes