Drum machine ideas?

I’ve always loved the og Electribe er-1. Feels like the drum gets closest to that? I just can’t justify keeping desk space for it any more but it will forever sit in a pristine box waiting for the right moment. Maybe a volca sized version would do it.

5 Likes

OT + Nord Drum 2

5 Likes

I have volca beats so fun

1 Like

One of my all time favorites. I’ll never get rid of mine.

I’ve gone through a ton of drum machines, and finally decided this winter to just pick one, and live with it. I had sales on Rytm II, Tempest, and Tanzbär I lined up for the same price, and I went with the Tanzbär.

For my purposes, the pure analog sound won out. I just now turned the corner in understanding the UI, and often the manual is of no help. I’ll probably still pick up the Rytm in the future, especially if I go down a more performance-oriented route.

I’m a songwriter, so the fact that I could dial in a simple (but incredible-sounding) beat almost immediately, and write along with it, won out for me.

I also learned that every drum machine has its pros and cons. For instance, there’s no screen or any way to set tempo on the TB, and the only user feedback is a system of color-coded LEDs. It is an obtuse and confounding machine. But patience is rewarded. The same can be said for all the top-tier machines, and not a one is perfect, unless you can see the beauty in its flaws.

Then you can consider immediacy, and I think Roland has that down pretty well.

For travel/basics, there’s Volca, Pocket Operators, Model, etc.

Even further, there are apps that you can write on, and transfer/refine on a good machine later.

Good luck!

3 Likes

How about a Bastl Kastle Drum?

2 Likes

Yea that looks super fun along with a pocket operator! Would play well with my 0-coast for office break fun

I did order the jomox drum module for my Eurorack setup. But these and the Rytm on my list for future drum modules.

1 Like

It’s a cool little device. I like to sit down with mine and try to find all of the weird in-between sounds and glitches. I’ll run it through some effects and record while I jam on it, then I go back and find all of the sweet loops/bursts in the recording to sample into my Digitakt.

2 Likes

I’ve been really into synthesizing drums digitally. I use Drambo but I could see a nord being a nice option.

(I’ll never part with my Tanzmaus though)

1 Like

and I can see sampling the Kastl Drum into the Rytm if that is possible. Or to Octatrack for reuse later.

I ended up getting a Moog DFAM and Analogue Solutions Leipzig v3 for table top beat making. So far enjoying both quite a bit. Plus I can use with modular and MIDI gear (except DFAM)