Drum machine for hard techno

I think you’re gonna be happier with sound processors rather than yet another sound generator.

3 Likes

TR8S + OT is already a heavy combo with heaps of possibilities for sound-design through THRU-machines.

an AH is like the perfect icing to this :slight_smile:

you should also consider the NIIO IOTINE CORE 4 for further processing, even though there is a lot of overlap with the AH.

for heavier processing to get to “that” industrial sound i would definitely recommend the X1L3 SHARD DESKTOP, wich is also PERFECT for a lot of “happy accidents” :wink:

4 Likes

yeah I had a Rytm, Analog 4 and OT in the past but now use modular for drums, still not sure if it was right decision but sound wise it is great.

Modules are BoomTschak (sick analogue voice), Plonk DSP based perc and Plaits. Sequencer is Varigate 8+ and MI Grids

2 Likes

You might not have solved the OP’s problem but the x1l3 stuff looks right up my street. Might have to start saving for the desktop version of the shard.

1 Like

that was not what i was aiming for :rofl:
it’s a 1-man-company though, and the focus is clearly on power-electronics, which is a big subgenre of industrial though

Love Noise E

My euro is a mix of Noise E, Erica, Intellijel and micros

5 Likes

One of mine

TR8S thru OT.

13 Likes

If yall consider processing to be a vital prerequisite for writing “hard techno” (I disagree but anyway), then the answer is clear - get the Akai force or MPC live. Pretty much unlimited sample layers and effects, transient shaping, sidechain compression, parametric eq, saturation, “lofi” fx… and so on.

I’ve personally never had probs getting my rytm go ard, but YMMV I guess

5 Likes

Some nice sounds here. How much processing and bespoke samples are used in the tr8s?

Thank you! All sounds are stock TR8S. Some ACB, some samples. Distortion on master, delay at full tape distortion, reverb tweaked so it’s to my taste. Fed into an OT thru machine with a filter (you can clearly hear me sweeping the cut off) another reverb ( on a cross fader scene) and then OT master compressor. Thats it. Literally. Single take recording, I sent the raw wav file off to the label and they released it.

4 Likes

I’m just trying to talk myself out of wanting a tr8s as well I think

2 Likes

It’s a really nice track. Have you got anything else to say about the TR8S? Any limitations you’ve encountered (such as no plocks)? What do you like most about it?

Thanks man! Um, it sort of does have p locks, just different to the elektron way.
Motion recording is cool. You can set per step automation.
The fx are really good, loads and loads of options to tweak. The sound quality is excellent. It has a soft clipper on the master output! Its hella loud. I really like how light itis, good for gigs. The faders are awesome. The only thing I dont like after one year of having it, its a bit big… but that certainly isnt a deal breaker. I really like it as a drum machine, a real joy to use. Basically I design kits and save them. Then I write patterns. Sometimes I use the OT to sequence it, very easy to set up. Zero complaints about the TR8S from me basically.
My favourite thing about it? The sound, and the tactile experience.

(Edit. Worth noting, I owned a AR for a short time. I found it took way more time and effort to get sounds I wanted, and mixing it was not easy, no didicated level knob for each track.)

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback. So the step automation is from the motion sequencing? Can you sequence the patterns from the octatrack?

Correct. You hold down a step and twiddle the knob just like on elektron. But you must have motion record on, AND you need to have a reset lock after your first step lock. Yes you can sequence it from OT. Very easy if you are familiar with the OT midi sequencer.

1 Like

It’s also great for layering since the channel insert effects offer a lot of scope for compression, drive, filtering, and EQ. Not as extensive as in a DAW, but much more options than in something like the Rytm.

1 Like

I often pair mine with a Digitakt… great combo. TR-8S for drums impro, Digitakt for more prepared grooves.

the tape delay is great… sometimes I just push the feedback to the max and the unit starts making drones on its own.

3 Likes

One of the things I really appreciate is that for velocity / accent you don’t need to have the “reset” step, it just saves separate velocity for every trig as a matter of course. And you can enter it by holding the trig and turning the Accent knob. It’s so fast.

I’ll raise you an AR track:

This is not the hardest I’ve been squeezing out of my AR but I don’t have good recordings of those. No other synths than AR used. There’s some external fx: AH filtered reverb & delay.

4 Likes