Dreadbox - New analog synth - Nyx V2

A lot of issues working with the OT. Very cool machine though

what kind of issues?

MIDI donā€™t work properly. Iā€™ve sent an email to Dreadbox (apparently Iā€™m not the only one reporting) and waiting for a reply.

1 Like

Odd that this only got reviewed at Sonic State now, but here it is:

1 Like

Yep Iā€™m wondering why this synth got little attention and discussion.

Are there any known issues still out there?

Would you use it for leads, bass and sfx? Mainly mentioning drone sounds.

Iā€™m curious but thereā€™s plenty of choice in the sub-$500 mono market these days.

Why would one grab the Nyx v2?

1 Like

Itā€™s a brilliant synth! I own the Nyx v1 and absolutely love it. It is unique, versatile, interesting. Apparent reasons for deciding against it: Minimal midi implementationā€¦thatā€™s all I could think of.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s not a Moog or Behringerā€¦ Thatā€™s the known issue preventing it from getting more attention. Even Roland gets more attention.

If I didnā€™t have an MS-20 Mini and pedals Iā€™d consider a Nyx 2. Made #1 on some best 2019 hardware list. Iā€™d also look at Erebus, which has a different architecture but has the Dreadbox sound that I like.

1 Like

I have become very interested in the nyx v2 as well. From the videos Iā€™ve seen, it seems to be a grossly underrated bass synthesizer.

Right! I hear you. Behringer takes the spotlight and news coverage these days.

But Iā€™m wondering as Iā€™m hunting a mono synth up to $500 to join my A4 add a different flavor to low end, something gritty with sizeable low end.

I was thinking Pro-One clone or add 200 bucks and go Nyx v2. I see the nyx as the more capable and also musically pleasing. Somehow dreadbox has this musicality maybe the filter does it.

Would you go Pro One or Nyx 2 if you had A4? Do dreadbox hold value over time?

I like the nyx v2 from demosā€¦

If youā€™re thinking Dreadbox for low end, definitely go for the Erebus! I donā€™t know if it is the filter or the oscillators, but the Erebus is much beefier and ā€œrounderā€ sounding than the NYX. I like the Nyx for pads and atmospheric weirdness, Erebus for leads and bass. I own both, both last gen.

2 Likes

About 9 min. when Nick nearly gets lost in ambient land is my favorite part.

1 Like

All sounds except drums by Nyx V2 according to Youtube comment

1 Like

I love the sound of what I hear in this video. So musical.

Any videos on Nyx doing bass?

Iā€™m curious, any owners of both v1 and v2? Iā€™m space-constrained in my performance rack, so the v1 looks quite attractive. Wondering if thereā€™s any reason Iā€™d want the v2 if Iā€™m not too particular about the extra patch points.

Main selling point for the Nyx v2 are the additional patch points, better layout, the separate LFO controls, and the additional reverb controls. What speaks for v1, is the form factor and the fact that those are still through-hole soldered. The new gen Erebus and Nyx are SMT soldered (if you care for this sort of stuff).

The v1 had some quality control issues, but the Dreadbox crew is really helpful and fast to fix/replace faulty units.

Also v1 and v2 donā€™t sound exactly the same. Not better or worse, just a little different. Me personally, I prefer the last gen sounds to each, Erebus and Nyx, which is why I didnā€™t upgrade them thus far.

I find those Dreadbox synths to be really amazing value for money, such great sound and well thought-out designs, they are really something.

I think you canā€™t go wrong with either (v1/v2). The Nyx is quite complex with all its routing capabilities and dual filter, and it is definitely NOT one big sweet spot, but once you get it, itā€™s a really amazing synth for atmospheres etc.

To @Timewalker, because you keep asking about the Nyxā€™s bass capabilities, see my comment above re Erebus vs Nyx for that. I find the Nyx v1 not the best Dreadbox offering for bass to be honest, not sure what it is, but it sounds thinner than the Erebus when I try to go for bassā€¦could be the filter. For everything else, the Nyx is really great and interesting.

4 Likes

I dunno - I only searched Youtube for Nyx doing ambient because, well, the talk about Nyx being suited for ambient is what got my interest. You are free to search Youtube, Google, etc. for your own interests of course.

I donā€™t own either Dreadbox (yet) but itā€™s quite telling everyone else is saying get the Erebus for bass

I have both and would definitely use the Erebus (Mk2 in my case) for bass over the Nyx v1.

Thatā€™s very helpful, thanks. In the sound demos it sounded like the v1 was a lot better for drones and soundscapes than the v2, but I wasnā€™t sure how much of that was just the reverb or the person playing itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about getting the Nyx V2. Unfortunately itā€™s not available here in Japan so I will probably import directly from Greece. Does it come with one of those multi-region power supplies that support 110-240 volt and has a bunch of plug adapters?

Not sure about the V2, but the V1 did and the separate version they sell on their website certainly does. Send Dreadbox an email and theyā€™ll probably be able to help make sure you have the right PSU and adapters.

2 Likes