Dreadbox Medusa

Thank you!

I was going to buy one and use it with DN but now after your feerback I will look into something else

1 Like

Thanks, I was planning to buy it this week- end, definitely not buying it anymore.

I love the idea of Medusa, what I would love even more to see is a crash course in getting warm organic tones without external FX.

got this feeling that itā€™s a sleeper classic in the making maybe

Check out Miltos Schimatariotisā€™ youtube channel. He has a bunch of great sound design videos that walk through some good stuff step by step. They are from last year so obviously with v4 there are some changes but they are all on v3 so relatively close to what is capable now.

2 Likes

Not sure where you are coming from on the build. I think itā€™s pretty slick. The knobs are pretty smooth and the grid is really awesome how it works. Itā€™s not a tank, and you probably need to be careful about bringing it around but itā€™s a lot more solid than many other synth I had. I personally donā€™t have much problem with the buttons themselves.

Iā€™m fully aware that this is not the way you normally press the button. I just wanna showcase the sound and how it behaves if youā€™re not press it completely centered.

I think I was the one who begged him to make tuts ā€¦ yeah heā€™s got the warmest out so far

oh yeah, hahah, thatā€™s weird, Iā€™d be annoyed by that, I just had to try on my Medusa, and yeah it doesnā€™t do that sound!

I sent the video to Polyend and they said itā€™s completely normal and supposed to be that way. I think that statement bothers me more than the actual issue (it sometimes happens with manufacturing).

Hello

Did anyone test MPE control of Medusa in Live 11 ? If this works, for the price its worth it. Can buy a used one for 550 euro. I like the drone sounds and if i can use as midi controller in Live 11 for MPE, it would be icing on the cake

I didnā€™t test the MPE mode with a computer, but I donā€™t expect the velocity and aftertouch values to transmit more accurately than I tested via regular midi. 550 ā‚¬ seems like a very good price for the Medusa. If you donā€™t expect a high degree of accuracy in an MPE controller, the Medusa might be an option. As I stated a few posts above, I found the Medusa to be barely be playable when using aftertouch and velocity. X and Y axis control worked okay though.

Anyone experimenting with the FM synthesis. I finally got around playing with it. Is FM synthesis that simple or the Medusa take on it is really simplified? Itā€™s really fun and I love the sounds that come out of it, but I was putting off learning how to do it as I though FM synthesis was a lot more complex than subtractive synthesis.

Just got my Polyend Medusa and itā€™s fantastic. I have 2 question about GRID mode.

1. I programmed some sounds per step in GRID mode, but realized I didnā€™t program the base sound in normal note mode. Is there a way to copy the synth settings from the GRID mode parameter locks to the main synth mode?

2. I have the XYZ controls set to mess with pitch and cutoff, but when in GRID mode, they donā€™t work. In regular note mode, they play fine. I tried assigning the XYZ destinations while holding down a pad, but it didnā€™t make a difference.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have a million more questions, but Iā€™ll try and keep the posts to a minimum! Haha.

1 Like

I just got one and tried it with my DN and couldnā€™t be happier with how it worked out. Iā€™ve had the Medusa for 2 days and Iā€™m already in love with it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPmXf0NhROZ/?utm_medium=copy_link

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a quirky drum sound. Sample it!

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s actually pretty nice, but Medusa feels a little bit lost in thereā€¦ At least aloneā€¦

3 Likes

Nice I didnā€™t realized that bag is so huge! They should have more photo on the site. Is there a lot more storage on top? Would probably fit my medusa and octatrack easily, and maybe my lyra-8

I can measure it for you tomorrow, when Iā€™m back in my ā€œstudioā€

Ya I got the bag - fit perfectly for the medusa and the OT or other pedalsā€¦ itā€™s a pretty sweet gear bag! The medusa and the OT is really quite a dream team! with the midi connection and everything!!

1 Like