Dreadbox Medusa

Marc Doty posted this on another forum:

"The issue with oscillator one going out of tune when the filter cutoff was changed has been addressed in a firmware update. It was actually a thing that happened in the firmware update between 1.0 and the most recent one. "

1 Like

Thatā€™s a relief at least. Not enough to counter the oscillator noise issue for me though.

Cheers!

The sound of this thing has been very disappointing.
Havenā€™t heard any sound emit from it yet even mildly pleasing.
Seems to have a rather harsh tonality, and not in a nice way

1 Like

They had 10 in stock at Juno yesterday.
I didnā€™t buy one. Need to save money atm.

Unfortunately, heā€™s now caught up in a flame war with someone who behaves a lot like a former member here, thus delaying the information flow a bit. youā€™d think someone with his experience would have learned by now not to feed trolls.

Might head in a different direction, personally.

Yeah, agreed, I just donā€™t get itā€¦ it sounds awful!

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve seen/heard, whatā€™s sorely missing is fx on this thingā€¦
Ideal world Iā€™m talking.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering how much some of the negative comments about the sound are related to absence of onboard FX. I donā€™t hear the oscillator distortion or whatever that John and maybe one other person (also John?) on Youtube or another forum mentioned - not more than what Iā€™ve heard from the Korg Monologue or Arturia Microbrute. Sounds pretty good with the Ventris to me.

Abyss for example sounds so good, but then I must factor in the built-in phaser, delay, etc.

Doty digs a bit deeper into the responsiveness of individual pads here - but itā€™s unclear if the sensitivity to each of the X, Y, and Z parameters can be adjusted.

1 Like

By the looks of it you can set from -100 to 100 the sensitivity of the destinations, here is a shot from the manualā€¦

1 Like

I think it sounds fine! Iā€™m more interested in what craziness can be coaxed out of it, not into boring old typical patchesā€¦
Love the ability to hold an envelope or lfo button and then twiddle a destination knob to assign it quickly, I first enjoyed that on the DSI Pro2, really speeds up creationā€¦
Even a rudimentary fx section would have helped as itā€™s not particularly stand alone in that respect.
That sequencer/grid is nifty though, like the baby born from Nord Lead 4 impulse morphs and the Polyend Seq with a little Monomachine sfx-6 keysā€¦
The fact you can make 64 note/chord sequence and then just play each step by hand is great, when the seq is stopped.
One to watch, just really needs a random lfo me thinksā€¦
Updates aplenty for sure from the devs!

1 Like

Here Doty starts digging into the sequencer, then promises yet another video on the sequencer.

s.

Some info on the external sequencing:

"thank you for the message and the kind words!

Medusa is not a monophonic synthesizer, itā€™s a paraphonic synthesizer with two different paraphonic modes. Medusaā€™s Grid will be able to send out only limited MIDI information. The Medusa Grid sequencer is a 1 track 64 step unit and can sequence only one track at the same time. It will send out only one Sequence and notes only (also as a keyboard) at the same time, it wonā€™t send out the CC or MPE functions.

Weā€™ve limited the MIDI functionality of the Grid build into the Medusa Hybrid Paraphonic Synthesizer for a purpose. Later on current year weā€™ll introduce and release the Grid as a separate product, which will hold 64 independent sequencer tracks and will send out the MPE functions of the Grid keys and CC functions.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Best

J"

The quoted email does read like an unofficial new product announcement - the Grid-only spinoff of the Medusa that has been discussed/speculated about before. If so, we will probably never see MPE in the Medusa.

Every time Iā€™ve looked at the Seq product page, Iā€™ve failed to find any mention of XYZ sensitivity of the individual grid pads.

So the new MIDI-only Grid, if truly under development, will have to compete with Linnstrument, which is a proven MPE controller, has colored pads, etcā€¦ Fortunately for them, Linnstrument has only a 2-track sequencer, so their best chance to compete is to implement a kickass multitrack MIDI sequencer that also delivers the MPE and MIDI CC that peeps want.

1 Like

First of all, at least a dozen other people have noted and subsequently commented on the rather distinct noise inherent in the oscillators, one of them being Doty himself, and I was certainly not the first one to speak up about it. And thatā€™s just below Marcā€™s videos, never mind elsewhere online.

Secondly, Dreadbox themselves responded to these concerns, saying that they are aware of the noise, but that unfortunately nothing is to be done about it. But if you canā€™t hear it or otherwise donā€™t care, thatā€™s just fine by me. You even made a joke, in a previous post, about how your ears may not be what they used to be. For me, however, this sideband anomaly (or whatever the cause) is a nonstarter.

And lastly, I really donā€™t appreciate you surmising that I am responding to my own posts, like some juvenile with nothing better to do. The posts I make online, in this community and the others that I participate in, are informed, helpful, and well-intended. And I am more than secure enough, with the one voice that I have, to weather whatever disagreements may come in response to the opinions or observations I put forth.

Cheers!

Hold up, man if you saw me say that you, John, responded to your own posts, put up the proof that I did say that and Iā€™ll apologize.

What I meant by ā€œJohn again?ā€ was I saw a post on a forum other than Elektronauts that was similar to yours - I wasnā€™t sure if that was you or not. I post on multiple forums and itā€™s not a big deal to me if somebody says ā€œwas that so and so?ā€ about me.

My comment about the negative comments about the sound were not directed at you, personally. There were clearly others that said they hated the sound. If it wasnā€™t clear before, let me just say that I respect their right to having opinions and I respect yours as well.

1 Like

An easy enough misunderstandingā€¦ My apologies for misreading what you wrote.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Cheers to you too!

1 Like

It always surprises me when people take personal offense to peopleā€™s personal opinions about noise that emits from small strange boxes
And yep medusa doesnā€™t sound great

2 Likes