Dreadbox Hypnosis

I was excited for this at first, but then I noticed there is no midi to sync the digital delay. That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Sounds really good ! Dont really mind the no midi sync but the thing is quite big …

I want a button lock on the Freeze Button. Click on click off.

[ADDED: March 20th – you can lock the Freeze on, if while you hold the Freeze button down, you press the button (in the middle of the right hand three) to leave the delay mode, the Freeze gets locked on and you can release the Freeze button. A bit awkward but it works.]

And i bet the defaulting to off when you switch patches is going to get changed – it should just retain whatever the state you have it set to, seems to me.

I guess the thing has to be big enough to put the spring reverb inside. Doesn’t look like it has any control input at all (see below)-- even a CV or gate input could be useful, and maybe more doable in an analog (mostly) system like this.

With the stereoness of this, might be nice paired with something mono that is calling out for some width – lots of possibilities here.

View of the connections:

1 Like

could be fun if we could play the reverb with our fingers or something else but don’t think we can open this window? I think personally the Koma field kit fx is still better for more cv control/manual control over the spring reverb or the Knas Ekdahl moisturizer!

Just hit the box! :wink:

2 Likes

Or shake it
shake

3 Likes

All sounds rather nice in combination with an Erebus v3 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpCTlSBzX20

1 Like

ADDED: It’s cool that you can lock a freeze and then use additional effects on the input – sort of like a “bitimbral” effects machine while doing that.

3 Likes

Anyone have this yet?! Would love to hear some user feedback!

Mine arrived yesterday, my studio isn’t really hooked up, but hooked it into my mixer with and played some Rhythm Wolf into it. It sounds really good, feels really solid, and looks beautiful. I have only spent approximately 15 minutes with it, but I like all the effects thus far. Sounds really good on the drum machine and bass synth.

1 Like

…a truu dreadbox…but always be aware of the also truu spring reverb…
once ur on shaky ground it will resonate the hell with and out of it…

and as all dreadboxes…quite boutique in sound AND price…
and in this case…especially…only for luxury lovers…
and people with a miami vice lookalike fetish, of course…

1 Like

definite Miami Vice fetishist here.

2 Likes

Can anyone recommended a jam friendly non modular synth in combo with the hypnosis for producing soudscapes/drones/ambient?

I have so far only used it with the Rhythm Wolf, and Volca FM. The effects sound really nice on both boxes, looking forward to getting my studio space together to try it with a wider variety of sounds. But with both of those boxes it definitely adds some movement and textures that I look forward to hearing more of. I definitely have some weird droney patches programmed in my Volca FM, looking forward to setting up a more powerful sequencer than the rhythm wolf to use midi LFOs on the algorithm parameter on the volca FM.

It’d be cool to hear it pretty much anything IMO. As far as a jam friendly synth, maybe one of those Roland Boutiques, or a volca keys/fm (with midi keyboard controller) would be fairly inexpensive options.

Surprised I haven’t heard more about these! Any other thoughts from the past couple of years?

1 Like

They had been unavailable to buy for quite a while, BUT i see they are available again !

2 Likes

We had all been hypnotized into forgetting it existed.

Back as DIY:

5 Likes

Having some sync options for the delay clock and the smaller form factor is a big plus for something like this. Mono in/out though is a bummer considering the stereo on the original seemed to be one of the the big marketing/selling points of it.

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered the DIY kit.
Was looking for a spring reverb so delay and chorus are a bonus for me.
Not sure about the spring reverb (small thank but nice decay) but w’ell see.