Dreadbox Hypnosis

New FX box with rad 80s paint job

16 Likes

Dreadbox%20Hypnosis

So it looks both analog and digital (likely). If itā€™s digital thatā€™s new for Dreadbox (by themselves).

2 Likes

Someone sent me this clip earlier. Iā€™m on the road and my earbuds are messed up, so all I heard was a very basic arp. Certainly looks ā€˜interestingā€™ and am always interested in what Dreadbox are up to.
EDIT! Just saw it :slight_smile:

Instant win purely for the paint job alone.

6 Likes

49 Memorys 7 banks of 7.
Wonder if the pink area to the left is a display, iā€™m guessing yes.
Looks well layed out and straight forward, despite itā€™s ā€˜space ageā€™ styling.

Fresh Prince or what!?
Saved by the Bell even :joy:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that pink area the reverb tank?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a Freeze Button!!! Cool.

Bottom row with green around it.

2 Likes

So the delay is analog Bucket Brigade Delay (BBD), so thatā€™s not digital. Maybe the Chorus Flanger isnā€™t digital either.

You could do freeze with the Bucket Brigade, so i will change what i said earlier about this being a combination analog and digital device, this could be purely analog.

Thatā€™s pretty cool if it is. Looks like Dreadbox had a lot of fun doing this, as per usual for them ā€“ fun for them to make means fun to use for us.

2 Likes

it clearly says ā€œstereo digital delayā€ though. and ā€œanalog spring reverbā€ (which I think rotallytuined is right, the pink ā€œdisplayā€ is actually a window to the spring; which isā€¦ frigginā€™ RAD!). so that only leaves the question of whether chorus-flanger is analog or digital.

regardless, I am stoked on this thing. effects I love by a company who makes awesome stuff, styled like a skateboard I had in the 80ā€™sā€¦ what more could I ask for?

3 Likes

There is discussion in general whether Bucket Brigade is analog or not. It gets called digital but it can be considered technically an analog effect. Reference: Wikipedia on Bucket Brigade Device.

Perhaps what this is, is an digital simulation of an analog bucket brigade device. None of this really matters.

eh, fair enough. I moreso meant that if their marketing calls one effect analog and the other digital, itā€™s fair to assume itā€™s digital. weā€™ll have to wait until more details emerge though.

honestly I donā€™t care either way, if it sounds good. although an all analog delay line would drive up the price.

CDM says the delay in the Hypnosis is bucket brigade.

I thought the delay was digital? Youā€™d need quite a few BBD chips for long delay linesā€¦ The chorus/flanger stuff can be obtained with just one BBD chip, so guessing thats what theyā€™ve done here.

It probably is digital.

Youtube description sez

Time Effects Processor with 3 Independent Effects :
Analog Spring Reverb with a 3-Spring Tank and a Unique Pitch Modulation Circuit
Stereo Analog BBD Chorus-Flanger with 3 LFO Waves
Stereo Digital Delay with 3 Delay Types and Freeze Function
Variable Input and Output Gain Controls (from MIC to Eurorack Levels)
Saves up to 49 Presets

Looks pretty straightforward, and non-confusing to me.

The BBD is for the chorus-flanger, which perhaps some may recall is a type of effect created in the analog domain with very very short delay times.

The digital delay is a separate effect.

1 Like

So i see the freeze button being used at :24 seconds into the video, together with the Delay control.

The youtube description also says Available Summer 2019.

this description is slightly different than the youtube screen capture above (2nd post; doesnā€™t say analog or BBD for the chorus-flanger). which is what I was going off of. makes sense now.

1 Like

The BBD on my prophet 6 is digital. Itā€™s pretty good. People digital is not bad. Play with a novation peak and see for yourselves

1 Like