Dreadbox Abyss

The vermona 14 looks awsome. I know I will never have one but it is such a dreamy synth :slight_smile:

1 Like

How deep can the phaser get if you input one into the other Abyss?

Have not tried that yet!
Probably thick as the effects of one will be compounded by the other!

1 Like

Never played one but I think it sounds incredible from the vids I’ve seen! Anyone think they’re worth the 2000+ they’re going for now?

I would say no, since Dreadbox is supposedly still working on an updated version with 8 voices and preset storage.

2 Likes

It’s hard to put a price on value, but probably not for $2000USD. It has a great “vintage” sound, and it’s what-you-see-is-what-you-get, which I vastly prefer to the modern Dreadbox (Typhon & Nymphes). But unless you’ve got a decent amount of disposable income, I’m not sure the Abyss is worth that much.

Thanks for the responses. I know it’s kind of impossible to answer my question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts!

I know the 8 voice might be coming sooner than later, but sometimes newer doesn’t sound better you know?

Yeah, I really wouldn’t bank on it sounding exactly the same. To my ears, I prefer the sound of the Dreadbox Erebus v2 to the v3, when they switched production styles.

1 Like

Anyone with any news of the updated version?

They’re still working hard to get Nymphes out the door, and it’s a month or more late, so I wouldn’t expect the Abyss any time soon. That said, I don’t have any actual news!

Still no news on the MK2.
Hopefully this will be a nice synth!

1 Like

Does anyone have insights or an educated guess into whether this Abyss MK II will ever see the light of day? Or do you think they decided to focus on Nymphes/other new projects instead?

There was a Dreadbox HQ tour last year where they showed a prototype case for the Abyss II (with 8-voices) and it seemed like it was being developed in parallel to the Nymphes.

Yes, I know about this, but that video is from July 2021. They obviously used it to tease a new Abyss. Making a case for it also seems like it’s a real thing close to production. But I have no idea what this historically means for Dreadbox or other synth manufacturers. Would you assume it’s coming sooner or later or are projects like these often axed in favor of other things?

I don’t need another synth, but the Abyss seems to ooze character and is somehow really fascinating. I prefer sliders and small sizes and the Abyss seems to be one of the few polys that checks both boxes.

I am going to have to think hard and long on the status of my two Abyss.
I had originally bought to create an 8 voice with midigal as the controller
but as two disperate synths they were too different even when dialed to the same settings.

They works great as a dual 4 voice but I only have enough room for either my 2 Abyss
or my Vermona PerFOURMer.

I guess they do not take much room in their boxes in storage, but I am underutilizing them!

1 Like

I’m speculating here but perhaps Dreadbox parked Abyss mkII due to the global parts shortage? I really hope I’m wrong though.

1 Like

Yes, that was my thinking as well.

+1 was the perfect timing to have to find some replacement parts.

Only one Abyss is in shot- the second one is above visible

Midi Controller for Dual Abyss:

Abyss #1 panned left, Abyss #2 panned right
Microbrute - MIDI via Kenton USB2MIDI to MIDI Ins on Abyss’s
Microbrute- LFO (synched via master MIDI IN) to Echo 1 and Echo 2 CV on Abyss’s.

Vermona '14 panned middle (mono)