Dreadbox Abyss

Got mine and loving it. Hit them up last week asking for a blank PDF of the faceplate so I could print and save my own presets. (I prefer hard copies) They replied this morning saying they’ve now added to the product page. Looks like they’ve supplied them for the other units too.

http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/abyss/

4 Likes

This is such a great synth. I had to part with mine, or cancel my Alpha Base preorder. It was a regretful parting. A lot of special sauce in this one.

1 Like

How does everyone like this badguy? I’ve seen a few demos and it sounds wonderful.
Btw @Prints how can you pre-order the Alpha Base??

I live in the US; pre-ordered with Detroit Modular. From you side of the pond, I think you should be able to order from someplace like here though.

Yup ordered today from KMR Audio in the UK… receiving tomorrow… cannot wait.

Receiving tomorrow!!?? They already have them??

There have been units floating about in the UK since April at least.

Oh, the Alpha Base, sorry was going by topic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Shit sorry! I got confused… i was referring to the Dreadbox Abyss, not Alpha Base… i ordered one of those today.

For what its worth i contacted Jomox to try and place a cheeky pre-order but Jürgen politely told me to fuck off…

He wasnt particularly friendly at all… perhaps he’s just swamped with trying to get them out on time? A close mate placed an early bird order through their website (paid in full) and still hasnt received his.

haha everyone’s been talking shit about what an asshole he is over on the Muffwigglers forum. Everyone seems to have stories about how horrible Jomox customer service is. I almost cancelled my preorder after reading that thread.

I havent seen/read but I can tell you I wont be ordering from him. I think companies/individuals massively underestimate the significance of being straight up polite. Takes marginal effort. No doubt he makes some dope products but theyre always half finished or in beta… prob because nobody wants to work for him :joy::joy::joy:

Allan Hall however over at AJH Synth… what am exceptional guy… spent an hour on the phone talking geek and synthesis. i bought all his modules. He sets the example…

1 Like

Ok - first impressions are very very good. Damn this thing is more musical than I thought… spent a few hours noodling and have to say the interface is very inuitive…

If you are into moving soundscapes/drones, then this is for you. The effects are genius and this is where the synth comes alive. The 2 LFOs do much of the heavy lifting and you realise how awesome and necessary they are to create movement within the patch.

The detuning is quite aggressive and you need to get it right so it doesnt sound too disjointed. Having the ability to modulate the changing waveform and its rate is a very very cool feature.

The only criticism I have is that the release slider on the VCA feels more exponential than linear in nature. On my unit it needs to get to at least 3/4 of the way up before longer release times start to kick in.

Build quality is pretty darn good - only my VCA knob felt slightly lighter but its no big deal.

I recently sold my Perfourmer as it wasn’t getting used much as of late - figured I’d give this a try. Two completely different animals even though both 4 voice…

This is my first venture into Dreadbox territory and have to say I am impressed so far. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I made the mistake of listening to the Sonic State vid, with Gaz demoing/discussing his Abyss.

Damn! Now I want one.

I’m still thinking about the other thread in which there is much walling and disgruntlement over an 8-voice poly synth/sequencer module - Abyss is only 4, LOL! But goddamn it sounds so good.

1 Like

May actually ditch both of my 128-voice poly digital workstations, and replace them with a Digitone-Abyss unholy duo.

Just wanting a good, sturdy, roadworthy travel bag for my Abyss. Any recommendations?

Two are better than one…

1 Like

Magnificent!

1 Like

The Vermona-Dreadbox Woodshed Room:

Middle Left: Vermona 14
Lower Left: Waldorf Blofeld
below Blofeld (out of shot) Vermona perFOURmer
Middle Right: 2 Dreadbox Abyss (configured as 8 Voice)
Lower Right: MS-20Kit

5 Likes