Drambo (iOS)

Thanks!, glad it got u movin!

Hi
Is anybody using the Korg nanoKEY Studio with this?
Does it work well? If not what other portable controllers would you recommend?
I’m looking for something to throw in a bag for the commute ( when that happens again ), lunchtime noodling
Thanks

do you mind taking a pic of the setup w/ zoom and ipad ? i have the zoom h6 myself and wish to do the same… tx

here you go:

11 Likes

Nice pic. Thanks for posting.

Are you recording audio and video simultaneously to the same device? Or do you record them separately then sync them up in an editor app?

I’m very lazy…so I route all Audio into the iPhone which captures the Video and Audio in these type of live sessions.

I use the Zoom when I’m mobile…but use the FocusRite when recording from my hardware setup…but in both cases, all audio goes to the iPhone which records everything in a single take.

1 Like

Anyone got the lowdown on an affordable IPAD that can run this and other cool music apps. I think it’s time I jumped into the IOS world.

any of the iPad Pro models will serve you well.

1 Like

2017 used iPad Pro. Still got the headphone jack, never had too little juice. It’s actually thinner than my 2019 model

5 Likes

Here’s another Drambo only piece. No samples or external audio in this one.

2 Likes

Thanks, was curious.

I’m even lazier. I just record room into iPhone mic. But I do plan to make more use of my Roland Go Mixer Pro for recording anything that makes effective use of stereo - as in having something actually different happening on the L vs. R sides, something other than just ping-pong/back and forth panning.

1 Like

thanks a million !

I use the same iPad. It’s still quite powerful, but does suffer the odd crackle and stutter in music app operation, when you load it up with a few apps at the same time. The battery lasts about an hour though on full charge and even if I keep it juiced via the Apple power/usb dongle, it barely keeps the battery from draining out - time for a battery swap out, once lockdown is over :slight_smile:

Yeah man sounds like a battery replacement issue, granted I do have a tendency to leave mine plugged in 24/7 with the rest of my studio now I’ve got my new one for around the house. Probably factors into it that I use it with my other gear too so it’s not bearing the full processing load but honestly I’ve never had so much as a crackle even using it alone. 12.9 version. I have a tendency to use it more because it’s already in my studio plus the headphone jack makes life easier. I just upgraded cause my contract was up

1 Like

Drambo with my 10.5 ipad pro is maybe going to replace my Octatrack.
I must do some testing first, make sure midi clock is solid and stability is good.

My IOS setup is Ipad pro 10.5, Largo key mixer (sounds card and mixer + midi interface) + Korg Nano key 2 and adapter.

For my usage, Drambo sounds better and easier to use. Filters , effects, workflow, etc… suit me more.
Im not there yet but its the first time im considering an alternative :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks !
I currently am using a Presonus 1810c (Amazing sounding unit !) Thinking of repurchasing Audient ID22 ( inserts on board for external hardware processing)
had a Zoom U22 and was pretty impressed with sound quality for the price point.
Question : does iPad see MPC one as USB audio interface ?

Yeah, mines the 12.9 version too. Maybe I’m just running too much at once. I was thinking of upgrading to the 2020 version, but was a little disappointed that it’s pretty much a 2018 version with extra stuff I don’t care about. So think I’ll wait until next year and stick with the 2017 version. Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far what I’m missing with Drambo sequencer v OT is fills. Also, I find having to add modules for conditional trigs not so convenient. I’ve still to test program/project change from external midi (for now Drambo must be hosted in AB or AUM for this) and whether the new project loads in sync, is there a delay on loading etc. For performance ,I personally I prefer the OT knobs, scene buttons and crossfader to touchscreen. Drambo and OT will surely make a dope combo! But I’m holding back to get more familiar with Drambo before hooking it up to the OT.

I’d describe Drambo as Reaktor 6 streamlined!

@sovietpop Thinking back to your posts from a couple of weeks back in the Coronavirus thread… hope you’re keeping well.

2 Likes

Yeah bit disappointed with the most recent iPad announcement. I suppose the 3d lidar camera thing is good for…3d modellers? I don’t know. Don’t see that many applications for it but it who knows.

@Skypainter the main thing keeping OT in the race for me right now is that it’s my weirdo tape recorder x8 . Youve made me think to dig into some reaktor modules and try to recreate them as drambo patches. Could be fun

2 Likes

Im keeping my Octatrack :slight_smile: I really like Drambo and a part of me want to find an alternative to the Octatrack because the workflow is not that intuitive for me but me too i prefer knobs to touchscreen.

Btw thanks , its tough to be honest but im doing what i can. I have a brother with serious mental health problems and this virus is not helping . Thanks for the kind words.

2 Likes