Does performing a song on YouTube ruin the mystique?

I just posted an Autechre video on another thread and then thought, would that song be diminished if I saw how they did it with a YouTube video of it being performed? Would it ruin the sense of wonder to see it all laid out in front of me? On the flip side, would some songs not stand on their own if they didn’t have this live aspect filmed in exquisite detail? Discuss!

8 Likes

Depends if there’s any sort of virtuosity on display.
I’d wager that watching Autechre standing over a pair of laptops might not add as much to the music as watching Eddie Van Halen smash out a solo.

13 Likes

Totally! Maybe I should have limited the question to electronic music, with boxes of buttons being pushed and knobs being twisted.

1 Like

Definitely. When I see a person just staring at their laptop in a video or twisting a few knobs, it ruins the mystique of music that I had listened to for a while first without seeing the artist performing it.

1 Like

There’s a reason Autechre perform in total darkness these days. :wink:

I think this is an “it depends” one, quite a lot to be honest - Hieroglyphic Being smashes this set (for me anyway) sitting down with Korg Gadget on a pair of iPads and the slightest of head nods:

Shoegaze bands have been some of the most powerful shows I’ve seen.

5 Likes

Still one of the funniest YouTube comments I’ve read:

“4 minute mark when he takes his hand out of his pocket. Amazing!”

23 Likes

This.
Love to see a skilled pair of hands manipulating their gear and making good sounds in real time. "
Totally dull to see someone using song mode/ableton live set/what ever sexy sequencer arranger, tweaking the odd fader here and there, but not really doing much because its all automated.

6 Likes

I don’t know man, Cenk’s Digitakt Experience is a pretty nice performance and all, but to me there’s always this notion of “check out this cool product” kinda blocking any kind of artistic engagement as a listener.

To be fair showcasing the product was the whole part of the video, but eh… I guess you get my point?

Interesting topic for discussion!

7 Likes

Er yeah I do get your point. I’m totally aware Cenk is the Demo dude for Elektron. But I wasn’t thinking about him at all.

I guess it depends, I think in most cases it would ruin the mystique. Imagine finding out Boards of Canada’s stories of how they make their tracks are actually all just marketing and they don’t really use half the equipment they claim to.
Or finding out that Aphex Twin is actually just hooking up some random patches in modular and then “pressing play” and his productions are mostly a luck based numbers game of “if I make enough sounds something good is bound to show up”.
Obviously these are silly examples but part of the mystique in electronic music is “how did they make this sound” and by showing you how - that goes away.

On the other hand though - I think seeing someone making the music live somehow makes it more listenable. I find watching/listening to some decent amateur making generic techno live is a lot more engaging than listening to the same artist’s pre-recorded generic techno EP. (not picking on anyone here - it’s just there’s a lot of generic techno out there :smiley: )

3 Likes

Two different kinds of experience imo. There are virtuosic performers I can appreciate watching but I don’t find their music interesting or engaging outside the performance. Then there are people who write amazing, engaging music who are terribly boring to watch.

I’d argue there are more of the first kind of musician than the second, and places like YouTube are more suited to showcasing their work.

3 Likes

I think it takes a certain amount of balls as an electronic artist to put performance videos up on YouTube, as it’s just going to invite lots of the usual “not even a real instrument” and “just pressing play” nonsense. Not really too bothered what the artist is doing as long as the music’s getting me.

I think it’s also pretty tough on a lot of artists who might have been used to doing sets in clubs where nobody’s really looking at them because they’re too busy dancing/reaching for the lasers. Now they’ve been forced into streaming on the internet with 17 gopros recording their every move and a team of keyboard warriors ready to pounce if they hit the buttons too many/not enough times.

5 Likes

I dunno about ruins but it can be pretty unneeded at times. I think if it is edited well with interesting shots and cuts even if it is just a generative patch the visuals will do just as much to sell it as the music.

I actually kind of love watching people preforming who dont ham it up, there is something fascinating and ritualistic about the stillness. It just has to be dont right.

4 Likes

got any recommendations?

Keep your hands out of your pockets.

3 Likes

I’ve done a few performance videos, I think the key is to try to keep it interesting and honest, like don’t do pretend knob turning, or the stupid “hot knob” cliche, or alternating hands quickly on the same knob, all that stuff was whack 10 years ago and is so played out.

The focus should be on performing - whether it is a guitar, drum kit, modular synth, groove box or whatever, some people watching will probably know if you are faking it and really why bother?

I’m always impressed when I see a good performance no matter what gear or instrument is being used, so for me it does not ruin the mystique, but inspires me.

I think seeing someone killing it is the best way to make you up your own game.

Youtube trolls don’t bother me though, just burn ‘em :laughing:

12 Likes

no backback?? what a loser!

I think to some extent video did kill the radio star and youtubers like Cuckoo, RMR have a pure skill set adapted to them and Kink or indeed Beardyman are just out of this world. Getting a how they did it can be the best music experiences and make me admire them even more.

2 Likes

not really, mostly just stuff I have stumbled upon… I think one of my favorite performance examples is this afx live show… his face just like 2 inches from his gear.

10 Likes

Just to add on another thought. When playing live, do people feel the need to constantly be active even for the sake of it and does that lead to excessive filter sweeps, mutes, FX and the like that actually harms the track? Or is it just a matter of letting some sections play out as intended and resisting the urge to be doing something?

1 Like