Does performing a song on YouTube ruin the mystique?

The problem with most demo or performance videos is they all sound the same, Dubby stabs and four to the floor kick drums, I turn them off as soon as I hear that dubby echo sound that I’ve heard a million times. On the other hand I’ve seen amazing live performances that have made me want to check out the artists music eg a Karenn live set made me want to check out Blawan and Pariahs music etc

3 Likes

For a couple years I was really into performing at “beatdowns” where producers went toe to toe in competition. Although I could have fully automated my tracks, I always left myself with plenty to control. I did witness some very hands-off moments from my colleagues.

1 Like

short answer: no.

long answer (1.5 hours):

3 Likes

I think it depends on my intention going into watching their videos.

If I’m looking to break down and and reverse-engineer how they made the song (see: Red Means Recording) I find the visual reference very helpful. If I’m looking to just enjoy some tunes, I find the videos can be a bit performative and unnecessary (twisting knobs just to keep their hands busy, etc.)

1 Like

for sure. For example, many people including myself are clearly overusing stutter effects like the octatrack freeze delay.
Less is more. Same with guitar solos :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Totally. For me I think it stems from years spent playing mostly gear I built myself and not having a sequencer. Just making sure that sound was leaving the speakers required constant activity. That was a long time ago now but it’s still a challenge. Easy to feel like you aren’t doing anything if you’re letting a section play out for a minute. The whole “less is more” thing doesn’t come naturally.
I struggle with it in non-electronic music too. When drumming I find it difficult to let any two measures be exactly the same. With guitar it’s hard to solo without tapping madness or sweeping. I’m starting to get better at restraint though, it’s just another thing that needs to be practiced.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Now we’re talking. While not on video, Atom™ and Tobias’ Bunker live set is incredible. I studied that one thoroughly when preparing to play live for the first time.

2 Likes

Also, submitted as further evidence for the “no, it does not” case. Of course, these two are extremely accomplished electronic musicians transmitting from an insane world-class studio.

2 Likes

how do you like watching Ylva‘s youtube performances? I love them…

does it ruin the mystique? not for me… it adds a lot imho (but maybe I am biased because I own the exact hardware)

12 Likes

One of the scariest videos i’ve ever seen. I must have been detained and tortured in an East Germany jail in a past life.

2 Likes

My favorite of Ylva’s to date - in all honesty it makes me close my eyes to immerse my mind in the music without visual distractions.

2 Likes

You’ve kind of nailed my point here. COVID and not being able to play live has made me think about what would be the best live performance for my band’s music. We’re thinking of (once everything is back to normal) hiring our own venues, having a blacked out stage and have people sit and watch things on screens in an immersive art installation fashion instead of the boring knob twiddling type of electronic music performances with flickering lights everywhere. Also we’re massively influenced by BoC here and their lack of gigs throughout their career. They don’t even do their own videos - the fans make them instead. And Autechre’s blacked out stages, ofc. Hence the mystique instead of the obvious. :thinking:

5 Likes

I guess the essence of this debate dates way back before You Tube to the advent of the pop video, or even seeing bands perform (or mime) on music shows on terrestrial TV. Undoubtedly millions of young minds in the 80’s were seduced by the music of some pop acts thanks to the slick optics of expensive production videos. Adversely, having been gripped by a great record heard on record or radio, many were turned off with the sight of the same band miming on Top of the Pops.

3 Likes

That’s the opposite of my thinking - no negativity though, just making sure I don’t get flagged.

The reason I like making videos is because I want to show certain folks how music is made, with hardware synthesizers and midi. In some ways, making a song without anyone knowing how it was done doesn’t really do it for me. I like to make the music, the explain the process if they ask. It is more welcoming and easily accessible to more people - versus just making a track.

3 Likes

Crikey, why mention flagging? That’s cool if you want to show people how you make your music. Still, I’d say most people listen to music or watch a music video for the distraction, escapism, atmosphere, not to find out about the process of how the music came to be.

1 Like

I’m just a regular cat. One time someone in class asked me they were interested in hearings my music. I had an iPad with my beats programmed; but I was like, they won’t understand this beat. So, from that moment, I realized that it’s a lot easier for someone with very little background in music to watch a video to understand what a hobbyist musician considers music.

This way assures that the listener visualizes the process, since it’s all on screen - a tune that can either be watched or just listened to.

It was just that one instance that changed my outlook on making beats.

3 Likes

why not both? be part of the art installation. Crazy makeup, crazy clothes, crazy visuals / mappings.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I would imagine if your really into an artist and worship the groumd they stand on then just seeing them flip a switch or turn a dial would give you a lasting sense of arousal. I remember watching Sparks and seeing him move his eyes. That was enough. So i guess it depends on how much you adore the artist or group.

5 Likes