Does anyone else here make reggae/dub/dancehall with Elektron gear?

Seeing the MT-40 mentioned here reminded me of this article I read the other day:

What an unsung hero!

2 Likes

Tunes here are quality.

I’d love to make some reggae beats on dt to play my guitar n bass along to - anyone got any typical “cheat sheet” patterns for drum machine sequence to make em? (I’d be there all day trying it myself…).

There’s only 1….fucking 1 (!!) reggae beat on my boss rc-10 guitar loop pedal, I’ve played along to it so many times, I need others…

Solid riddem…MD is still my fave drum machines.

1 Like

Do you think, by just using the lfo’s and maybe the fx track on the syntakt, you could you recreate the metallic echo of a spring reverb or the sweeping, high pass filter sound created with the Altec.

Iv been exploring making dub with the Digitakt before selling and now with Digitone and Syntakt.

Wondered if anyone had pushed sound design and tried getting these classic dub effect sounds by just using the internal effect, lfo’s, effects channel etc just sticking to just within the limitations of the Electron boxes no external FX or processing.

still come back to this for inspiration…nice delicate tones and deep feel of the bass…respect!

(RIP Mr. Issac.)

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s a nice thought, but personally, I’ve never found even the most highly-praised dedicated plugins to be able to properly recreate the sound of a real spring reverb, let alone trying to get there with a “generic” digital reverb. It’s a really tough thing to model. You can get half decent plate-ish reverbs from digital sources, but no matter how many times someone excitedly tells me about some new digital spring reverb thing, it always disappoints me compared to a $20 spring going through a cheap amp.

Plus, you can’t strike it, and that’s half the fun.

1 Like

One more from me. A tribute to Jah Shaka, though nowhere near his levels of production and vibe. Rest in power :red_square::yellow_square::green_square:
Mostly Syntakt, a few sounds from OT

1 Like

And a finished version of one I posted above, but since deleted from my SoundCloud … Mostly MDUWMk2

5 Likes

Hey! I just noticed this thread, I made a digital Reggae Dub Ep on the model:cycles only. It was so fun, I’m working on another one!!

5 Likes

Using the a4 as a filter fx

Does this count?

Listen to a_CM/Track 1 by MC#BC8E47 on #SoundCloud

First md only video I ever uploaded to YouTube. About 3 minutes too long. Back when X’s solo/mute flip was just a one button press… the good old beta test days.

1 Like

Not bad! I find the Cycles a little same-y after listening to it for a while but it’s pretty well-suited for this style.

Some nice arrangements in there. I’m coming back to this thread after a long break.

1 Like

Some really cool sounds in here… I can’t recall, did they change the mute / solo behavior? I gotta upgrade to the latest X firmware soon. Any caveats?

1 Like