Does anyone else here make reggae/dub/dancehall with Elektron gear?

That’s very kind, thanks - he’s a huge inspiration obviously, as well as others like Jammy, Tubby, Keith Hudson, Errol T, Bobby Digital, etc… I’ve been listening to Jamaican music for a long time, the well is deep and seemingly bottomless.

4 Likes

mostly i do house, but it’s heavily influenced by reggae and dub. I’m currently messing about with reggae sample packs, trying to chop up these samples in octatrack, so they come out more like house music…

it’s a lot of work getting all the samples in the right key to sit well together, when you’re working with melodic samples in key and layering instruments.

can sound like shit real eazy.

2 Likes

Yes! I made a reggae quick jam in Instagram a few days ago. What do you think about it?

3 Likes

On the 3 first videos of the OP i can barely hear the bass.

I don’t have a sub but my DT880 picks up quite well low frequencies in general. I thought it was a mixing choice of yours since bass is more proeminent on the Model’s videos.

dope, i got similar, LoL!

this was for a perfect circuit competition, LoL

2 Likes

9 Likes

hell yeah, feeling massive dub vibes right here!

1 Like

Fantastic!

1 Like

Ooh this is great!
Last dub stuff I did was on the Electribe 2, I think.
I’m going to try on the MC.

This recording had some vibes but strays a while.

3 Likes

Thank you…appreciate.

appreciate…it was a collab.

@ isaac_anthony

great works!

1 Like

Oi big up to everyone on this thread/dread, keep it up! I’m big into roots dub and as well as technoier directions (Pole, Rhythm & Sound etc) and straight up dubtechno and London sound dubstep, and happy to hear people going full on roots!!

Much appreciatiation!

3 Likes

the “original” version of the remixed

big up to you. yes…introduced to R&S and all that is dub tech since 95-6 and Pole since 98 etc…Deep sound of Jamaican Dub since late 80s. King Tubby still reigns in the present from the after life…and now Lee Perry.

1 Like

Khaled voice

Another one.

Still loving the unofficial X.05 firmware for the Machinedrum. Here’s another dub where I limit myself to one machine (with some help from a spring reverb). A simple two-chord progression based on “Native Woman” by Gregory Isaacs, made possible by the polyphonic tonal mode in X.05.

It’s a simple I-ii progression, Cmaj to Dm, but the notation is done in quarter tones (24-tet), so for a major chord you would enter your base note and then use intervals of:

+8, +14

… and for the four-note machines you can add an octave at +24 or if you’re feeling spicy, create a 7th chord by using +22 instead. The rest is just classic Machinedrum madness. I know a lot of people use the MD for glitchy stuff, but I think it can excel at more realistic sounds too with enough care.

8 Likes

Nice work. Just left a post on the X05 thread about how I think the silver boxes excel at Digital dancehall / dub styles. Here’s one of mine I did for the X05 gnd machine compilation, and a dancehall style beat. These are both chopped and ready to be fed to my OT …

6 Likes

Serious bass on this one. You can definitely hear Rhythm & Sound’s influence… very cool.

1 Like

Love hearing dancehall on the MD, nice! I didn’t know there was a compilation for the X.05, I might have tried to cook something up…

1 Like

It was a while ago … not quite sure what happened to it, somewhere in the X05 thread I think