Does anyone else get headaches/dizziness from the Digitakt's lights?

no issues here. the lights of the Trigs are really dark i think. if i put the OT MK2 beneath it - its lights on the Buttons are shining like a christmas tree :slight_smile: maybe you got a Digi with too much power on the LEDs? warranty, maybe?!

I don’t know. It’s just out the box new. I don’t have other elektron equip to compare.

When I had the key cap off, the light was crazy bright. I could really see a major diff between the normal bright and the extra bright flash with the cap off. My wife agreed so it’s not just my normal over sensitive eyes.

best bet would be you make a video and send that to Elektron (or post it here). ask them if this is normal. seriously, i often have issues noticing the white light on the Trigs from the DT. Red and Green are OK, but white is often too dark for me. But im also not working in dim light environment - i always have a bright room im working in.

for the time being: increase the light in the room you are working in. that should help.

I have two and both are bright. The thing is, it really depends on the circumstances.

A. Some people are more sensitive to (flickering) lights. .

B. If the room is darker than it will be way more obvious and annoying. When my room is darker I get tired from it pretty quickly and it’s a little disorienting at times. I therefore keep my room light enough. At a gig I’ll take a light with me to shine on the digitakts. It’s kind of weird that I would need to do that though :). Never had this issue with Maschine for instance.

So best thing to do is, make the room brighter, or aim a desk lamp on the digitakt. It really helps a lot. An option to lessen the brightness would be really welcome though.

If all leds were as bright as the purple/green ones in temporary mute mode, there wouldn’t be a problem I think.

6 Likes

dont forget that the color of the light makes a difference too. a red or a purple is always darker to our eyes than a white. even if they have the same intensity. so the red and the blue could be much brighter than the white and you still think that the white is brighter :slight_smile: this is described somewhere - i have to check if i find that article again. was very interesting to read …

2 Likes

Ah that’s interesting indeed! :slight_smile:

Ableton’s Push 2 has nice options to dim and desaturate colors. push never bothers me but I don’t use it much.

Do not buy MAschine or torraiz guys :wink:

Never had this issue with maschine or push. I think the pads soften the less in a way maybe.

Happened to me for the first time tonight, made a headache I had much worse. Would really appreciate an option to dim the brightness.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but I’ve just bought a Digitakt and it was definitely giving me headaches everytime I used it for more than 15 min. I got an Analog Heat MK2 before the Digitakt and it was also giving me headaches. Since the Heat doesn’t have much blinking lights, I figured it was the OLED screen. I also read some articles about how some ppl have issue with OLED screens on some newer phone models. I decided to cut up use some old xbox 360 cases and use them as filters and so far (about 45min on the Digitakt) no headaches! I think any type of filter could work, altough the xbox case are thick plastic and not just a “film like” filter, idk if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

I play mine in the full sun with the curtains open. And struggle to see the light???

I think the issue for me is not really the brightness, but the stroboscopic aspect of the OLED display. Either that or maybe it’s the high contrast of the black and green screen. The trigger lights are probably just as bright and they don’t affect me at all. Anyways, I’m just glad I can use it without headaches now hehe

Waldorf Quantum made me feel dizzy

1 Like

100% agree with this issue.
I used to use my ipad for a few before going to bed but have started using my DN or DT and that was the first thing the wife said… “Can’t you turn that down?”
Deluge has a dimmer feature for all the LED pads that works perfectly.

2 Likes

I don’t get dizzy from the lights but my preferred time of use is in the evening and sometimes I just want to use the Digitakt like a gameboy to zone out. The flashy trigger lights are the biggest problem for me. Especially when other lightsources in the room are dim or off. When my girlfriend is trying to sleep next to me, she is bothered with the lights even though her eyes are closed.

An option to dim the trigger and display light would be a great solution I think.
Aside from my issue with it’s brightness I really appreciate the Digitakt’s design. Aesthetically i prefer it’s display and triggerpads over colourful Pads like Push has it.

2 Likes