Does a damn external midi clock exist?

Im looking for a external midi clock like the Midronome (literally NEVER in stock). I need an external midi clock to sync my synths, digitone and digitakt. Why dont I clock off one of my units? I have tried that. It works but its off a tiny bit with my Trigon 6 sometimes. They all have to sync off an external clock. There was a company called midiclock er-m but they went out of business and while you can find units if it breaks you are shit out of luck. Disaster area makes clocks… for pedal boards. I could use one of those but why doesn’t anyone make a damn clock for us? A very rare Roland SBX-1 would be nice, But not for over $1000

SND ACME-4. However, I truly do prefer the E-RM Multiclock since I found that to be more intuitive, easily configurable on the fly and it offers extremely rock solid clock output.

For instance, Multiclock is so precise that with Octatrack; I’m able to use a pickup machine to capture a complete loop without interruption - which is something that’s normally only possible with internal clock, as most other external clocks would cause the recording to stop nearly instantly after staring. I use it a lot, but it still blows my mind that this even works at all.

EDIT: My apology for any misguidance… I’m not sure why; but I’ve had Octatrack (MKII) stashed away for a while now, but I plugged it in a moment ago to test and try to verify this. Unfortunately, I’m unable to use an external MIDI clock + the pickup machine to record now. I hope that I’m simply doing something wrong and that I didn’t just imagine this was functioning previously. I seem to recall using it to great effect on a few occasions and I believe that included overdub. I also remember that I only couldn’t change tempo (or that would interrupt recording).

It appears Multiclock will get produced again:

1 Like

Midigal. One of the available firmware versions is a “super stable midi clock”. It’s still in production and the price is pretty good.

3 Likes

Maybe check out blokas MIDIHUB? It’s an unbelievingly versatile tool, MIDI clock should not be a challenge for it.
Eventually you will find a ton of other inspiring ways to generate or modify MIDI data:-)

From the documentation:

1 Like

Yes, Multiclock is being continued by a new company.
https://floatingpoint-instruments.de/
Some online stores in Germany showed it is in stock, but you can never really trust their estimates :slight_smile:

Edit: all this info available plus much more detail in video linked by @lesstalkmoredisco. Forgot to properly examine what I am responding to. Hey, it’s the internet :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Retrokits RK-006 midi-usb interface does standalone merge/thru/clock/sync (has Pocket Operator modes too which is super useful).

Small, flexible and cheap!

Uses TRS midi connections but that’s the compromise you get for its tiny size.

4 Likes

This makes me think that a Midihub with four internally assignable buttons, encoders and a tiny screen in the same size would make it even more essential to any setup. It’s already the greatest thing but having that would push it into ridiculously powerful territory. Give it an internal battery as well and wow.

FWIW you can assign MIDI controller CCs to alter parameters in the pipes, which gets you part of the way there, but no screen obviously.

There’s so much potential for a Midihub XL if they choose to do that one day, maybe offer those ideas on their forum?

1 Like

Hello,

If you happen to be into eurorack, a Pamela’s Pro workout with midi expander might do the trick.

You could use the thru’s on the devices to route the clock.

Not the most ideal solution, but worth looking into if you were to already have a Pam.

so you’re willing to spend up to $1k to fix a clock issue that exists with one synth in your setup? have you looked around to see if others are having this clock issue? have you talked to Sequential? maybe it’ll get fixed in a firmware update.

I’ve had like 30 machines going in my studio, all midi’ed up, with clock and transport and midi notes being fired all over. with some pretty ridiculous daisy-chaining, no dedicated clock boxes, and only a couple cheap midi thrus (mostly used synth/machine’s midi thru). no issues like you’re describing.

4 Likes

You are missing out on CLOCKstep:MULTI.

It’s $209. In stock. Does Master Clock and Transport duties. Sends MIDI and multiple CV outs/sync rates. Receives Sample Accurate Audio Clock from a DAW with a Latency Compensation feature. Supports a very robust MIDI Interface for remote control. And the cherry on the top is it sends an Audio Metronome out if you want to incorporate that in your setup as well.

4 Likes

What exactly is the problem?

How do you know that? What makes you think that another clock source would be better?

3 Likes

This looks awesome. Can any users on here vouch for how solid the clock timing is?

Interesting…! Can you overdub too? I explored this with my Multiclock but clearly not enough as wasn’t working for me so assumed it was due to the fact it’s meant for when OT is master clock

I have the rk-006, (as well as the rk-008!) and I can vouch that to my ears, the timing is very rock solid and stable. I’ve never done any kind of measuring to confirm though

1 Like

RK-006 clock is solid for me and if I feel inclined later this eve I’ll post a bit of detail and some screenshots etc. Don’t use it much now I’ve got a MioXL - just for mobile rig - but I’m interested to compare the two more scientifically myself now so might do this later.

2 Likes

just one the best things i ever bought for my studio and live projects. it solves so many problems i had. highly recommended. clock is very solid. never had any issues.

1 Like

If the problem is from daisy chaining you could try using a midi splitter instead.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who took time to reply I have a little bit better idea of what to do now. Thank you.

2 Likes