Do you use the master track, how

Or maybe as 8 tracks ?

I pretty much always use it as a couple of master effects, its indispensable having a compressor and a delay/reverb effect on my mix, just to keep anything from getting too rowdy on its way out during a live mix.

Can it be used as a master recorder track?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I understand the questionā€¦

Are you asking how to use the 8th track as the Master track?

mainly to filter and compress the whole mix

1 Like

I tend to use it as a master as well. Usually for compression, EQā€™ing or for distorting the main thing up a bit.

i use the mastertrack always to compress, sometimes i add a filter, reverb or delay to it

I never used it as an ā€œnormalā€ track since i bought the unit.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

The same for me. Only used as master track with compression and, very often, beat repeat effect thanks to delay

I always plan to use it as a master effects channel but I always forget the key command to set it up as such :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I use it as a master track when playing out, and as a ā€œnormalā€ track when writing, since in that case, all the processing is done in Pro Tools once Iā€™ve dumped parts in.

2 Likes

Using the master track is no option the way I use my octa.
Iā€™ve set it in studio mode and use the stereo out and the cue out as seperate output pairs, to which I route the individual tracks. to have more control of the octa on the mixer.

nevertheless, I think the master track is a neat addition to the octatrack, but doing everything in the octa is way too limited for me, especially when I connect some extra machines to the octa.

this machine is missing some exra output anyway

2 Likes

I second that.
When I first heard the octa was coming, I was assuming -considering the monomachine had 6 parts and 6 outs- it would have 8 outputs.
But regrettably it only had a stereo output and an unusable cue output.
I think elektron tried to take a shot at the DJ market, which is their good right and I hope elektron will sell more and more so they will keep on making these neat little musicboxes ;).
But Iā€™ve been ranting a lot about ā€˜freedom of outputsā€™ on E-U back then and luckily they implemented ā€˜studio modeā€™.
Now itā€™s quite usable allthough Iā€™d love to see more flexibility to configure to 4x mono. I can live with 2 tracks routed to a single output.
I can achieve it by panning tracks left or right, but I think some effects will sill leak to both channels, like delay and reverb.

It would be awesome to have a setting 4xmono next to studio mode :).

.R

2 Likes

Hi

I find 7 tracks is fine, and always use the master track
i always find it handy to have the extra fx, namely delay and filter on all tracks to use with the scenes

I have the MD going through the OT and coming out the CUEs , unfortunately the master track does not effect the cues, but it means my drums are separate for the sound engineer

I do not feed the a4 into the OT precisely because of the lack of outputs

1 Like

I find tracks to be at such a premium on the OT I canā€™t fathom having only 7 to work with, as much as I wish I used the master track more. I was gonna ask peeps the same thing.

To add:
Howā€™s the compressor, at least from a bare bones functional standpoint? ā€œMixā€ is nice as you can do parallel compression, yea? I often switch into ā€œOT as drum machine on crackā€ mode when writing.

how to set the 8 track as the master channel?, i try to but i canā€™t

Go to Project Menu by pressing [FUNCTION] + [MIXER].

Go ā€œControlā€ -> ā€œAudioā€. Check the box ā€œTrack 8 Masterā€.
Pages 35, 36 of manual

3 Likes

I use it in my liveset for the band. I use just a tiny bit of compression/limiting, for the external synth and laptop audio going thru the octatrack, when we get wild I tend to tweak filters and such as a madmen. It lacks details in itā€™s metering for that type of performance art.

What I need is a better way to check my outgoing level, so Iā€™m thinking of dragging an outboard compressor/limiter with me on stage so I have visual level meters.

iā€™m allways using it as master track.
benefits are:
global sampling,
general volume,
comression,
filter,
and FX like delay, reverb etc.

Same hereā€¦ Mainly because I want to have an individual output for my kick (when I use samples for that purpose). I think it depends how you connect your other gear. When using the inputs and working with the OT as a kind of hub/mixer propably it makes more sense to use the 8th track as master. But since Iā€™m sending all my stuff to a mackie mixer and than just record the stereo output from that I prefer to have an extra track. Although Iā€™m pretty interested in the beat delay stuff, etc. - just had no use for that in my tracks up to now. Should give that a tryā€¦