Do you use the master track, how

think I’ve posted this before, but one trick is to use the master as kind of a fake send track. in studio mode treat the cues like they’re the mains, and then you can use each track’s main level to ‘send’ to the master track. you can obviously also use a similar technique to send e.g., just your drum tracks through one comp.

8 Likes

I pretty much always use it w/ the compressor and a reverb, especially after discovering sample chains.

always as a master…just wish I could do more than 2 effects, because I always want some reverb and compression but filter and delay is cool with scenes

since it is likely a resource issue with the hardware, perhaps they could allow additional effects to be assigned if they are not used on the other tracks :slight_smile:

1 Like

that’s a cool trick. +1
compression+EQ . compression tames things, EQ can get some nice transitional filtering for live use.

1 Like

That’s awesome rhizome!
I’ve missed your previous post but i can quite remember the existance of another similar thread.
Thanks for the back sharing :joy:

Compressor is a very mysterious thing for me. Any tipps/settings for the compressor in the master channel?

2 Likes

Same here :panda:

I never use the master track, as I am always running out of tracks :nyan:

I use track 8 as an aux send for reverb, rather than using it as the master. I’d rather use an outboard analog compressor if I want one in a live setting (nothing fancy, an old Alesis Microlimiter is like $40 and sounds great), and if I’m recording I like to track without any master effects at all and add them later.

For reverb I really prefer the sound and flexibility of using it as a send effect so I can adjust the send levels of each track individually rather than across the master buses, which just tends to make the whole mix sound muddy unless you’re really subtle with it.

I’m on a phone right now and don’t want to go digging for the threads with instructions on building an aux send, but I think there are at least links in the tips thread, if not the actual instructions. It’s a really useful trick.

Edit: just noticed someone else posted about it earlier in this thread, too.

1 Like

Always a compressor paired with either DJ EQ or delay depending on the track. I only use the master when I’m playing live.

If I’ve never used Track 8 as a master, and all my tracks are populated with samples in every project/part I’ve ever composed, what happens if I suddenly change to “Track 8 Master” in the settings? Will it preserve my track 8 samples and simply route all audio through the track, or will it really screw up my old work?

It’s a per project setting. You’d loose track 8 sample playing in the whole project.

2 Likes

Thanks. So can I safely change the setting for a previous project just to see the results and then reload the project if it’s a disaster?

I think disabling Master Track would suffice to revert to previous state, but in a safer way I’d use SAVE AS NEW to make a copy of the project.

3 Likes

In my experience OT will store both states - all parameter settings, fx, trigs, locks etc. for master track and non master track setting in a project.

I sometimes enable T8 as master in projects that are meant for live gigs to check something, but then go back to non master for tracking.

I do keep at least two copies of my project (‘save as new’), just in case.

That should work without any problem.

Still better to keep multiple copies of your project, just in case.
I usually alternate my saving routine between two project states (e.g. ‘my project’ and ‘my project new’). If anything goes wrong I can always load the previous iteration.

4 Likes