Do the A4 work well with Linnstrument et al.?

Do anyone play their A4 from one of those super-expressive controllers like Linnstrument, Eigenharp, Seaboard, etc.?

I’ve been yearning for an Eigenharp day and night for years now, but the price tag means that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Still, out of curiousity I’ve been reading a bit on how those kinds of instruments/controllers work and the technical challenges involved in making them play well with other gear.

The way I’m imagining setting this up is a kit with 4 identical, monophonic voices on the A4. Each on its own midi channel. Then, since the controllers can cycle through midi channels when playing polyphonically, one could play four voice poly, but with full control of parameters per voice. I think this would work in theory, but apparently some synths choke on the large amount of midi data transmitted. Do anyone know if this is a problem with the A4?

I also like the idea of using the A4 CV outs to play my modular monophonically. I’ve never tried to send midi out on the CVs. If I’m reading the manual correctly, it seems the A4 can receive some CCs (modwheel and breath for instance) as 14bit values. Can these then be mapped to the CV channels?

1 Like

The A4 can cycle through voices (and retain their individual settings) by itself, yet for polyphonic aftertouch and individual controls per voice (modwheel, breath, pitch etc…) you’d need to take the approach with individual midi channels anyway.

I think this would work in theory, but apparently some synths choke on the large amount of midi data transmitted. Do anyone know if this is a problem with the A4?

For most of these controllers you’ll need a computer to hook them together anyway. So you can rely on USB-Midi which has enough bandwidth to make controllers pass through without MIDI-Choke. You’d have to set the A4’s MIDI config input to USB only to gain bandwidth and speed.

Yet with only 4 voices it might still be playable through conventional MIDI, yet I guess it won’t be as smooth as it could be using USB exclusively.

If you don’t want to use a computer in-between controller and A4 there might be solutions like the Kenton USB MIDI Host, also the McMillen QuNexus offers a standalone break-out-box and seems to be quite expressive to play, yet I haven’t tried for myself.

1 Like

For most of these controllers you’ll need a computer to hook them together anyway. So you can rely on USB-Midi which has enough bandwidth to make controllers pass through without MIDI-Choke. You’d have to set the A4’s MIDI config input to USB only to gain bandwidth and speed.

Yet with only 4 voices it might still be playable through conventional MIDI, yet I guess it won’t be as smooth as it could be using USB exclusively.

If you don’t want to use a computer in-between controller and A4 there might be solutions like the Kenton USB MIDI Host, also the McMillen QuNexus offers a standalone break-out-box and seems to be quite expressive to play, yet I haven’t tried for myself.
[/quote]
From what I understand, the chip that “reads” the midi is often the issue. It is often not spec’ed to deal with the large amounts of data needed. I have no idea if such a chip would be bypassed with USB-midi though. Perhaps?

I tried to send 14bit modwheel CC values to the A4 from Midi Designer on my ipad, btw. I think it worked, but it was hard to move my finger slowly and smoothly on the screen, so it was hard to tell if I got any stepping or not.

Connecting the Linnstrument with the Analog Four was the first thing I did with it. It is no short of being amazing, the amount of expression you can get by assigning various axis of the Linnstrument to A4 MIDI parameters is never ending fun.

It is like having 200 of the Analog Keys Joysticks that you can assign to any group of MIDI CCs. Play and press independently of each other. :joy:

This is pretty much what I do most of the time. I haven’t run into any issues with MIDI data. There is a new Linnstrument OS/Firmware out that has even more MIDI CC customizable settings. I’m about to install it this evening and give it a shot with the A4. But overall I haven’t had any issues, it’s been fantastic.

I hope some of this info helps.

Cheers,
Chad

3 Likes

Damn you Chad! Like I need another reason to desire the Linnstrument!

Thanks, this is excellent news. Time to set up a new saving account, then. :slight_smile:

An Eigenharp with the EigenD software running on a Raspberry PI2 should work just as the Linnstrument for the A4. A less elegant setup, but as I’m struggling with RSI pain because of my computer day job I think the ergonomics of the Eigenharp will be better for me.

My wife has taken a liking to the Linnstrument, though, so if I’m really lucky she gets one to use with her ipad at some point. Was it hard to learn how to play reasonably well on it?

1 Like

It’s very intuitive for quickly playing monophonic lines. I’m still learning different ways of phrasing chords.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/chord-and-scale-shapes.html

1 Like

It sure does…buy mine! :slight_smile:

Do you have any demos Chad?
I’m really keen on getting a Linnstrument to replace my Analog Keys but not sure yet… Any advice?
Thanks

I’ve had my Eigenharp for a couple of days now. The experience of playing the analog four from it is fantastic. What I end up playing and the sounds I get are so different from what I do when using the A4 directly that it feels like a completely new machine.

I’m having tons of fun playing my modular via the cv outs. And creating a collection of “Eigenharp kits” to see what kinds of sounds feels good to play in this way. Still early days, but the impression so far is that the A4 and one of these expressive instruments is an excellent match.

1 Like

Is it quite easy to set up? I’m not good at Midi programming so not too sure about switching my Analog Keys for a Linnstrument and A4… I do believe that they could work wonders together though. The Linnstrument is something I’d defo want one day

The Eigenharp can be difficult to set up. There are some technical concepts unique for the Eigenharp one needs to learn. The software for it is very powerful and highly configurable, but that also means it is confusing at first. The Linnstrument is probably much easier, though. The A4 side of things is straight forward. You just set what the various modulation sources (like aftertouch, pitchbend, modwheel, etc) does, just as you probably already do for the joystick and performance macros.

1 Like

I’m currently in the middle of a project right now but I hope to share some videos of the Linnstrument in the future. In summary the Linnstrument makes any MIDI capable instrument better and more expressive.

The latest OS update for the Linnstrument allows you to assign any MIDI CC to any of it’s grid axes. So you can control almost all of the A4 parameters discretely if you wish. Or modify multiple A4 parameters at once by assigning them to a Performance Knob and send that Performance Knob MIDICC on X, Y, Z axis. Easy to setup, you don’t need a computer to interface the two.

Do you have any specific questions on the Linnstrument with A4?

1 Like

How would you do something like Multi map or Midi ext on the A4 using the Linnstrument. I’d like to replace the keyboard with Linn S. but wouldn’t want to sacrifice too many features. Are there some features I’d lose out on if I switched? Do you believe the Linn S. with an A4 is more expressive than an AK on it’s own?

As far as I know MultiMap works the same on the AnalogKeys as it does on the A4 with any external MIDI controller. So you shouldn’t lose any features, it’s just a different workflow. If you need external MIDI you can still route out the A4s MIDI thru from the Linnstrument.

There is a split mode with the Linnstrument which I use almost nearly 100% of the time. It allows you to split the surface area into two resizable zones, each zone can have it’s own individual settings. So your left hand can control CCs while your right plays notes. Or left hand can be triggering notes offset by note + octave and even different row note offsets 4ths, 5ths, etc. I also usually have the low row set as another MIDI CC strip.

The one big difference is playing the Linnstrument vs a normal MIDI keyboard is keyboard velocity. The Pads vs Keys feeling is quite different. Depending on your playing, will Pads fit your style?

I’m not sure if you are close to a dealer to try one out? It is always nice to get a hands session. Roger is accepting full refunds for 30days if it doesn’t suit you.

1 Like

I also wanted to mention you could just use the Linnstrument with the AnalogKeys. Unless you are specifically trying to downsize your studio footprint from the AnalogKeys. Maybe just keep the AKeys and add a Linnstrument? :joy:

As long as I’m not losing any features from the swap I’ll be a happy man.
I just love how the Linnstrument works and would swap it over a normal keyboard any day. It looks more my style from what I’ve seen of it so far :slight_smile:
I’m downsizing my set up as well so having the A4 and the Linnstrument would be a preferred option :slight_smile:
Thanks a ton for the help Chad and let me know when you upload something with you and the Linnstrument ( =
I’ll keep you posted on how it goes… in the meantime if you know anyone who would like to buy an Analog Keys in Oslo point them this way :slight_smile:

Hi again Chad
Is there a hold feature on the Linn like on the Keys for sustained note holds?

Could one of you who has done this please make a video
Of the linnstrument controlling the A4
Or AK?

Not exactly what you want, but I’ve written about using the A4 with PMCs (which includes Linnstrument) here: http://ticticelectro.com/2015/09/04/elektron-analog-four-with-polyphonic-multidimensional-controllers-pmcs/
Written for people who don’t already know the machine, though, and not specific for the Linnstrument, There is a video at the end where I play the A4 and modular from an Eigenharp. The multimap feature on the A4 is used for the percussive metallic sounds on the A4.