Do the A4 work well with Linnstrument et al.?

I’m considering purchasing a Seaboard Rise.
On my A4 I use the Midi in for clock.
Could I still use all the multi timbral expression features of the rise by connecting it to the USB port of the A4 and setting it to receive midi via USB+Midi?

No. Seaboard requires a computer as a hub to translate the gestures. Then after a bit of setup you can theoretically feed it into A4 midi in, as its USB port is also designed for computer connection. There’s been a word for a new firmware for Rise in the future that will enable computerless connection but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

1 Like

Would it work with a Midi merger?
For example OT(master clock) sending midi clock and Rise for midi cc to control the keyboard on the A4 both connected to the midi in via a merger?

If you figure out a way to get the midi from Rise sent via USB to the A4, I can confirm that using Midi In for clock and USB for the controller works well, as that is what I’m doing with the Eigenharp.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be quite simple though?
Midi in for clock receive and USB in for CC control direct from Rise?

I sent Elektron this the other day:

‘Basically I’d like to use a seaboard rise which send note per midi to control the A4.
Could I use the midi in of the A4 to receive clock and the usb port to receive cc messages via the seaboard rise if I set the A4 to receive midi via usb+midi?’

They replied:

‘Yes it will work make sure that there is no clock on the USB if you are sending clock on the MIDI and the other way around.’

1 Like

If you figure out a way to get the midi from Rise sent via USB to the A4, I can confirm that using Midi In for clock and USB for the controller works well, as that is what I’m doing with the Eigenharp.[/quote]
How have you hooked up the Eigenharp to the A4 if I may ask? Is it stable enough to use the USB port for cc control? I’ve heard the USB isn’t as stable as the Midi?

In which Sonicstate’s Gaz Williams controls an A4 with a Linnstrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFafNa2-uUA

2 Likes

Reanimating this thread. I’ve got an A4mk1 and a Linnstrument.

I get that you set the Linnstrument to voice-per-channel, and the A4 to 4copies of the same sound.

Here’s my question: let’s say I hit 3-voice chord and hold it. Now I want to do that fun thing with the A4 where you tweak the sound wildly and then hit “reload”. Is there a setting on the A4 to e.g., sweep the filter on all 4 voices at once, and than having to select just 1? I feel like I’m missing something here.

Thanks.

You can do this with performance macros.

Hi,

I’m reanimating this thread. Have any updates or workarounds emerged for programming poly patches on the A4? I confess that I find programming a mono patch and then copying it 3 times is not the ideal for me, especially when I want to edit and save.

TIA!

Tell me in you like Linnstrument and A4?
Really interested in it)

With the kludgy copying, I’ve moved on to other options. If Elektron ever releases a true poly patch programming solution, I’m in.