Do aliens listen to music?

With the recent wave of NYTimes articles about UFOs

eg the latest with quotes such as

Current officials are now concerned about the potential threat represented by the very real, advanced technological objects : how close they can come to our fighter jets, sometimes causing a near miss, and the risk that our adversaries may acquire the technology demonstrated by the objects before we do.

What kind of music do you think the aliens listen to? Techno? Rock and roll? Drone? Noise? Traditional Irish folk music?

Maybe they don’t listen to music at all!?
(what a sad existence)

5 Likes

Haha, cool thread. I have occasionally wondered if digital music would sound choppy or if aliasing would be super audible to an advanced alien species; should they be able to “hear” at all of course…

2 Likes

Yea :slight_smile: This is fairly tongue in cheek, but it’s interesting to think about.
What if a species was even just 1000 years more advanced than us? Assuming they had similar tribal beginnings, would they have explored all of the same kinds of music as we have or have a completely different branch?

Would they have started with melodies and rhythm similar to humans or maybe they started out with purely tone based music and are only now starting to explore melody. Perhaps they picked up our radio waves and that’s why they are now exploring earth… they just want to listen to our melody/rhythm based music to bring it back to their home planet! :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s subconscious conditioning by pop sci-fi but I always picture alien instruments like glowing orb, tone emitting, synesthesia machines. It’s a much funnier proposition to project human like qualities/impulses into the mix; i.e. aliens having equivalents to GAS, pop music, an underground scene, dad’s music, punk, jazz, and cruising in the space vehicle tunes.

It’s definitely all organic/analog tech though…

Oh, and I think from now on I’m going to make music under the premise that aliens are looking for sounds to take home.

5 Likes

Like this?

16 Likes

Haha!!!

More like this:

8 Likes

i like to think music will become a multi sensory experience via the evolution of technology with creative content able to be channeled directly into your cerebral cortex, programmed to the trigger all the sensory emotion of a rave without chemical enhancement.

so light and pattern triggering internally, sub bass reactive body vibrations like your standing in front of a massive rig, maybe emotion triggers but this deviates away from how we as humans experience music based on our personal contexts.

but ETs probably create and experience art in ways we can’t fathom.

1 Like

Well, if they’re anything like humans, they don’t listen to my music.

4 Likes

It would probably depend on the atmosphere of their home planet since sound is just vibrating air.

3 Likes

mars-attack-21

Sometimes only once, haha!

7 Likes

THIS.
sound is only possible in some environment where mechanical oscillation can spread as waves.

3 Likes

True but what about the mental perception of sound; like hearing in a dream? (which I know is a product of memory, but still…)

1 Like

Yes, they’re listening to the golden record right now!

6 Likes

This is interesting, the question of whether ETs even create art I mean.
Is art inevitable in the same way as science?
In my opinion no. Science is inevitable, meaning it’s likely that every advanced civilization in the universe has an understanding of maths/physics.
However art does not seem to have the same inevitability, it relies on creativity rather than discovery which to me seems like it may not be as widely available.

That’s not to say human scientists aren’t creative, the opposite is true in my experience, and perhaps explains why humans are so scientifically advanced for being not much more than slightly smarter apes.
But if you left a completely uncreative species with similar brain “power” to humans for a million years, they’d probably have figured out most of the same science as us by purely trial and error, however it seems unlikely they would have created any meaningful art.

This got deep for what was originally a partial joke thread :smiley:

2 Likes

ah … ok, here’s mine then

A Scotsman, an Englishman and an Irishman walk into a bar ..

:wink:

2 Likes

Have you got any links to these articles ?
In my part of the world beautiful crop circles often pop up that sometimes have harmonic code in the patterns

The Englishman
“If aliens are real, we will take their land for our own”

The scotsman
“You’ll never take their freedom!”

The Irishman
“Are aliens better poets than the Irish? Can they even create art?”

1 Like

Facehugger, the Predator and ET walk into a bar…

6 Likes

A few of the articles I’ve seen recently:

older articles:

NYTimes has been taking this stuff more seriously, trying to the bottom of what is going on (it may not be ET, but something is definitely going on)

I personally tend to avoid the paranormal/ET explanations, because those tend to be highly polluted by mentally ill conspiracy theorists etc, however I trust the NYTimes to do real investigation so I’m happy to read what they come up with!

2 Likes