DIY Octatrack Protective Lid/Case Thing = $0.00, With Pictures!

One of my favorite things about the OT is how portable it is, how I can take it pretty much wherever I can find an outlet. I’ve been searching for a solution to make it safer to travel with, and I’ve found one that works well for me, and it didn’t cost me a thing.

I did this with the OT, but obviously, you could do the exact same thing for any other Elektron box. I started by cutting a piece of paper to match the dimensions of the OT. I then mapped out where all the raised controls were placed. I then cut a piece of foam that I had received as packaging material for a purchase to match the OT’s dimensions, and taped said piece of paper to the foam, and used an Exacto knife to cut out holes for the knobs and crossfader. I cut a hole that holds the crossfader in the center, but it would work well with a larger hole as well.

I then cut up some cardboard and taped it together. That part is pretty self-explanatory really. Just make sure you leave room for the jacks on the back, and that the fit is reasonably tight. It needs to grip the OT just enough so it doesn’t slide off without being provoked. I seem to recall that I used two layers of cardboard all around, for protection and longevity. Once it was good and solid and I checked the fit, and wrapped the whole thing in gaffer tape. It provides a durable exterior, and looks nice as well.

Lastly, I used a spray adhesive to attach the foam to the cardboard exterior. I put some books over it and left them overnight to make sure the bond was solid.

I actually built this about six months ago, and it’s been going strong ever since, with no issues. I didn’t intend for this, but it actually functions as a nice little stand while I’m playing the OT. It can fit flat in there, or you can turn it around, which puts the OT at a nice angle for quality jams without the weird neck angle.

The Elektron lid looks like a great product, and if you can afford it, it’s probably a better option. If you can’t, this works great for me :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Very nice!!!

1 Like

Pretty good

Great idea.

Honestly, I was hoping these were going to be laser cutter files for a plexi cover…

Yeah that would be cool…
Just cardboard though :joy:

Snazzy at that price point - nice job :smiling_imp:

Pretty ingenious

Very nice!

I made this out of 3 euro foam board… Works great in the studio…

7 Likes

chime in :v:

cost me nuffin! :zzz:

4 Likes

That’s awesome! God forbid I ever acquire two Elektrons (:joy:) I will totally borrow from your design.

1 Like

I like your’s better than mine! That’s pretty cool dude.

i made one as well… in grey for the mk II :slight_smile:

4 Likes

great work! I’ll most def make a version at home! Maybe even a couple handles and faux leather paint job to make it look like a small suitcase

Beautifully done! Looking so good :thup:

wow, this looks so cool. I know it is kind of a dead topic now, but I am planning to make something like this for my digitakt and this is a big inspiration :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always think about trying my hand at DIY vacuum molding dust covers for gear, but I doubt I’ll ever get to it.

1 Like