DIY MIDI Fader box

Hey yall!

I’m looking to build a pretty simple CC controller that has 8 CC assignable faders, I’m hoping to control the mixer section on my digitakt with it. I’m sure there’s some documentation out there using teensy or something similar, but all the stuff I’ve found doesn’t quite match my needs and doesn’t show/tell how to make a custom controller layout. I’m a noob when it comes to ardruino/rasppi stuff so sorry if this post seems ignorant.
Any help is appreciated!

Are you absolutely set that you want to build this, or is it you aren’t finding a ready built product that does what you want ?

ADDED:
Here’s open source code for a 16 fader version to run on teensy. You can easily trim it down to 8.

If you would be OK with a ready made product check out this thread:

2 Likes

Sweet thanks!
That device seems to be midi over USB, would that still work as a controller with the digitakt sing it’s USB port or would I need a device in between to route the MIDI to DIN?

you’ll be limited to DIN midi as the digitakt is not a USB host.
Do you have anything else that acts as a host?
Unless you are looking to jump into the DIY world, I recommend what Jukka states and buy something. It will be cheaper in the long run, and look better.

this library has pretty much everything code wise you’d need to build even a huge controller. if you are also planning of going down the road, i’d recommend teensy boards over arduino as USB midi is built in.

3 Likes

I don’t know if the project i sent has DIN MIDI or not. If not there are lots of project that have DIN MIDI and you combine them to get DIN MIDI. MIDI is a set rate serial protocol, with opto isolators so that part of the project is the easier part of this.

This code was used in the product that i put in the thread i listed from Michigan Synth Works. That has both USB and DIN MIDI.

Nice link — thanks for that.