DIY fix for sticky buttons!

Hi there. I own a digitakt for 5 weeks now, and I like very much. Since the beginning I had some (2-3) sticky buttons. Here is my solution which may help you to fix the sticky buttons. For me it worked perfect. Buttons go very easy now.

Here is what I did:
At first I took a good look at my buttons. I noticed that the distance of the buttons to each side was not equal. They all seemed a bit closer to the right side of the top plate. I assume that is the problem, the buttons get stuck on that side due to contacting the plate.

In my case it was just pure misalignement. You can check this at your device with a flashlight shining direct from above onto the buttons. Then the green board shines through the space between each button and faceplate. If it looks offset to one side you could try my method. All you need is a Hex ( or Allen) Screwdriver 2mm. In my opinion, there is no great danger to harm the digitakt - just use commom sense and do it careful.

To fix this I

DISCONNECTED POWER from Digitakt,

then

1. Completely removed the six screws on the top.
  2. Opened careful the top.
    There is one board fixed in the base, and one board on the top (this one with the buttons, display etc.). Both board are connected with 2 cables. You can kind of swing it open to the top half without disconnecting the cable connectors.
    If you look now on the bottom part of the top plate you see the board with the buttons is fixed with 9 screws to the top plate.
  3. I just loosened all those screws a bit.
    Now it was possible to change the postion of the board in relation to the top plate. I changed it, so that the buttons where in the middle of each ones holes.
  4. Screwing the loosened screws tight again.
  5. Testing the perfect working buttons.
  6. Put the top plate back in place, screwing the top plate onto the base box.
    Fixed. :grinning:

If you try this please be sure the POWER CORD is DISCONNECTED from Digitakt.

If you want to see how it looks opened google for ā€œElektron Digitakt Teardown flickrā€. That way you can check for yourself if you can manage this method.

I hope it can help some of you.

18 Likes

Are you sure that opening up the DTā€™s case doesnā€™t void the warranty?

Hi Hans. Just check the pictures of the opened Digitakt (google for ā€œElektron Digitakt Teardown flickrā€). There is no seal to be broken. If you do it careful, you will leave no traces - but may have smooth working buttons.
Good luck.

1 Like

My Digitakt came with half its buttons like this. I bought it the first week it was out. I only now just found this thread!

10 minutes later all my buttons are working great! Thanks!

Finally I can use my gear the way it was meant to be!

3 Likes

Marry me !!!

2 Likes

I hop this is a joke. You should mention so before another user actually considers this.

No joke dude. Even some of the elektron peeps said this usually the only fix needed if youā€™ve got an especially troublesome button mine cleared up in the first few weeks after heavy use.

Well damn. I stand corrected I guess.

I still much perfer OPs fix which seems to nip the problem where it started rather than spraying stinky, greasy lubricant into my electronic device.

I would still avoid that no matter who says otherwise.

I have a digitakt on the way but I had this same issue with my A4 mk2 and Iā€™m super relieved to hear its most likely just a mechanical alignment thing.

If Elektron really told you to spray WD40 inside your new synth, my respect for them has just dropped significantly. Maybe surgically applying a minuscule amount with a q-tip or somethingā€¦ but just blasting some into the side of the button sounds like a total mess; inside and out; now and for posterity. That stuff will be weeping out, like forever; very possibly wicking its way into/ under the screen, or at the very least, to the underside of the display cover and leaving screen looking like greasy dirty window. (if it didnt already spatter there from the initial spray. Youll have to take the whole thing apart to clean it off, which will be a good time to mop up any extra WD that is now a thin film covering the entire PCBs and enclosure, because if you dont, more will prob work its way back onto the screen, eventually.)
Thankfully, ive never done this on a synth, but I have on a newly purchased vintage Suzuki tach/speedo set, and i get to remember how stupid i was, every time i look at the gauges.

Personally, Id spend 10 mins with a screwdriver and a little care and do it right, like the OP did.
That is what Elektron should have told you. That, or exchange it.

3 Likes

I was talking about opening the box not wd40 you guys.

1 Like

Ha! Phew! My faith is restored in Elektron
That clearly hit a raw nerve with me. Dude, you dont joke around about WD40.

I think we all need to start using the reply button. :wink:

1 Like

Lol same. Say no to WD40 kids.

4 Likes

Glad Iā€™m not the only one. I thought that was pretty wack for a minute. I actually flagged the dude who posted about it first.

You really donā€™t need to be joking about that stuff when someone who doesnā€™t know better could take you seriously.

The user was banned for something else - but that ā€˜jokeā€™ post is now removed fwiw

3 Likes

Ah wow. I guess a few ElektroNuts are to be expected sometimes.

Thanks for sorting it out. :+1:

2 Likes

First off thx @sulob for the dyi idea!

Does anyone know if this fix applies to the octatrack too? I strongly would guess that it does. Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried this, because my device still has warranty, but i had to send it back twice already! Each time it took about 4-5 weeks to get it back. Now i got a new device, but btn 1 is sticky and pushing it a lot hasnt solved it. The thing is i really hate the idea of sending it in a 3rd time and wait another 5 weeks. The device has been almost away longer than iā€™ve actually used it at home. Thats why the whole thing is quite annoying me. Beeing picky iā€™m not sure if it will stop bugging me :slight_smile:
So i might have to perform the operation myself, because 10mins in relation to wait 5 weeks seems to be worth the risk! But i would like to know if this applies for the OT too, before risking anything. No more nerves to send it back a 3rd time currently. Even if they did a great repair job, id rather use the device for now!

Cheers

2 Likes

It works on Octatrack MK2 too.

2 Likes

I had the same issue with mine and I contacted Elektron about it. They said they wouldnā€™t void the warranty since I contacted them but Iā€™d recommend you contact them first.

If you do need it looked at they warranty it for 3yrs from the manufacture date regardless of whether your the original owner or not.

Thanks for this! Helped a ton - no more sticky buttons. :smiley:

1 Like

Just got mine today and had the same issue out of the box. I was like WTF?!

This fix worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!

1 Like