Division Department 01/IV

A video with Digitone sounds:

Part 1:

Part 2:

(nicer, IMO)
11 Likes

Part 2 is solid. Great sounds, nice mix, good composition.

Second jam is a nice little thing!

Also nice from the same person:

And Japan:

And some dub:

The more I listen to demos of this machine - and I am the one who shared the Perfect Circuit video a few weeks ago in this thread - the more I feel like it’s too vanilla. Too tame. It doesn’t get wild like a DFAM or Pulsar. Though I do love the amount of controls per drum and that it’s knob per function.

1 Like

Its interesting for sure. I was keen until the Model:cycles came out. Where I live the 01/IV and the Cycles cost the same so… yeah, 4 voice no sequencer no fx, vs 6 voice with sequencer and fx. No brainer for me.

2 Likes

kinda where I’m at as well. I already had stuff that crossed the same sonic territory anyway, so I wan’t sure. then M:C came out… has a sequencer and plocks, so kinda kills it in many ways. still…all analog style interface is nothing to be sneezed at. I’d love to play with one some day but I’m OK where I’m at right now.

1 Like

Yep. Also I noted the hihat voices on the 01/IV are digital, not analogue.
I already have a bunch of analogue gear (DFAM among them) so for me, the unusual sounding Cycles was more appealing.

1 Like

they just cover a lot of the same territory sonically. I have the DRM1, Syncussion and DFAM. Model:Cycles was deemed OK because it does other stuff than just crazy drum sounds, and it’s more adventurous with the Elektron sequencer. with all that, the 01/IV is simply overkill. but again, still wanna spend some time with it…

Just went back to @Ess’ video again, so great - realised it sounds a bit like an MC202.

2 Likes

The inability to have open and closed hi-hats on one channel is a real pity. Have you found any workarounds?

(I almost ordered last week, but talked myself out of it for now)

You can play it ‘gated’ via some octaves in the MIDI spec, so short gate = closed, long = open. But doesn’t change the actual decay time of course, so depends on how you want your hihat to sound like.

2 Likes

I tried out what @Ess said and it works quite well if you program very short notes: 1/64 for closed hats and 1/16 for open. than adjust the decay parameter on the 01/IV to your needs.

I still think it’s a very cool drum synth!

1 Like

It’s a pity you can’t use more than one midi channel from a Digibox - one for each 01/iv voice would be the most intuitive way.

I’m still very slow programming in even simple patterns … finding the right note for triggering dual channels etc means either trial and error or keeping the note-card handy at all times. Is there a logic to it I’m missing? An octave per voice would be logical … but it isn’t quite that?

It is extremely versatile and has lots of character.

4 midi tracks on the same channel then?

1 Like

Forgive me if terminology isn’t correct. I believe it’s … four voices (Division Dept call these ‘channels’) via one Midi channel from the Elektron … and this only.

I have tried using more than one Elektron track set to the same Midi channel but that doesn’t seem to work (unsurprisingly I guess).

That’s strange because on my digitakt i am able to set my midi tracks out to multiple channels and have 4 tracks sending notes to the division department to basically have each midi track to send trigs to each 01/IV voice.

1 Like

^ Ok, that’s promising. I will have another look this evening. That really would be helpful.

Yeah it makes programming different note lengths and stuff pretty exciting. despite being in shelter in place i haven’t gotten to dig too deeply into it yet, but there’s a lot a really cool things to do with a digitakt sequencer and the 01/IV voices.

1 Like

I have the 01/iv on midi channel 1.

What does your midi setup page look like please?

I’ve setup:

Midi 1 Channel 1
Midi 2 Channel 1
Midi 3 Channel 3 (for another synth)
Midi 4 Channel 1

And no joy.