Dirtywave M8 - VS - Octatrack MK1/2 (THE BIG THREAD)

Havent seen a thread about this and I would really like to hear your opinions on this one. Im on the fence of either purchasing a Dirtywave M8 (Version 2) or Octatrack MK1 (2nd or 3rd time)

Im not playing live on shows etc, only for use home and be creative to complement with Ableton as well but want to stay away a bit from the computer…

Whats your thoughts, which one do you like the most and which one is collecting dust in the drawer?

Ive used the M8 and i really like the tracker workflow, find it a bit similar to the sequencer of Elektron with parameter locks and so one. Ive owned basically all the elektron gear of the past years but ended up selling them and thats included the Octatrack but i really love that as well.

I really love the thought about the portability of M8, to bring everywhere when i want to make some music. In studio i much prefer work in DAW with my 9U modular case for main focus, ive tried to include OT before with the modular system but i find its too confusing…

1 Like

Apples and oranges tbh. I would say considering you plan to use it at home, go with the M8.

5 Likes

Ask yourself if a tracker is the right piece of gear for you before you fall in love with the form factor, then weigh that headache against the other one.

4 Likes

If you’re comparing these two machines, my questions to you would be: what makes you think you want the m8? What makes you think you want the OT? What musical problem are you trying to solve? They have wildly different capabilities, goals, and design philosophies which will cater to wildly different approaches.

I owned a m8, sold it to fund the purchase of the m8 model:02. Truthfully, I haven’t really thought about it in the 2 weeks I’ve been without it, which tells me I may not need the new m8 even though I really enjoy using it. But without knowing what draws you in about these devices it’s impossible to answer this question.

(It also may be worth asking in the m8 thread)

5 Likes

I want some device to come away from DAW a bit and just play around.

Then I would personally get the M8 as it offers more for creating. OT is great too, but not easy.

3 Likes

Yeah… I think i had Octa like 3-4 and sold it every time and even though I find I can work my head around it and i like it a lot but i just get so fed up with it all the time and i think you can really feel thats a old device with clumpsy UI

2 Likes

Extending on the OP’s question: which one is more standalone?
Thank you

I would say in that case its the M8… But thats just my opinion.

I have and love both. But the M8 is a deeper bond and used more often. It’s because it’s so portable, a fun thing on the sofa, waiting for the kids, on the train. When you want, you can plug in a midi controller (tho the touchscreen x and y for params is very fun for continuous controlling). And plug in external devices of course. And the synths are very, very good indeed. The OT is a big huge clunky thing.

Live recording and immediate playback is where OT excels of course, and scenes. Aside from that, for programming sequences that play back samples, making sample chains and chopping them, I think tracker and OT are actually quite aligned btw. There is a longstanding argument that an OT is basically a horizontal tracker, which I’ve seen around here a bit.

If you’ve sold OT so many times (no judgement, I’ve been there) then surely it’s not the device for you? So give the M8 a try. I will say that M8 is more meticulous and not for live performance, whereas OT is more see what happens in the moment, wanging the crossfader from side to side, come what may, happy accidents and all that.

2 Likes

having both, what the octatrack has better is the immediacy of the sequencer as well as the looping options. loving the m8 more. having both is the best option.

1 Like

I have both and love both. Gone through periods where one sees a lot more use than the other. At the moment, I’m playing gigs once a week, so it’s OT/Syntakt. The M8 has been to make stuff to sample into the OT for gigs. I also have the M8 plugged into the rig in case anything goes wrong with my other gear, I can just start a tune I’ve already finished while I’m sorting out any issues. Haven’t had any problems yet, but you never know. M8 is still the king for writing on the road for me.
If I could only own one? Octatrack I think, but I’m thrilled it’s just a hypothetical question :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Given the want to simply play around with something away from the computer, I agree with this. m8 is more self-contained, plus the portability means you aren’t tied to the computer/ studio/ daw. I get a ton of mileage out of the synths on the m8, and they’re one of the features that in my mind makes a comparison between the two quite difficult.

1 Like

I’ve got both, but personally I end up using the OT way more. But that is because I really like experimenting with different routing setups with my modular and stuff like that. I am less interested in sitting down and composing music, which the M8 is very good at. I tend do do more messing around with synthesis and routing than finishing songs, and OT is great at that.

2 Likes

Can you. give me some examples how you experimenting OT with your modular? I use modular as well but i like to experiment more in DAW with the modular…

So I’ll use the cue output as a send to the modular. If you separate left and right channels you can send two sources into the modular. So I’ll do my things like send a drum loop into the modular to be processed, doing things like envelope following the drums and making it affect a voice I am doing in modular, a little like sidechaining.

I have also been thinking about trying to use the octatrack as an audio rate modulation source for the modular, but haven’t messed with that yet.

I’ll also often use the OT as effects for the modular, with the crossfader giving me a really performable way to do transitions and doing fun stuff like the stutter freeze delay.

1 Like

You’ve used an M8 and like it. You’ve owned an OT and sold it. So it sounds like you know what you want. Are you asking if that’s okay? If so, yes. It’s okay to like whatever you like. Don’t worry about the gear police. They’re a figment of your imagination.

6 Likes

What do you want to do?
Why?
What tools will cause the least inertia while getting to where you want to be?

I started this thread for more discussion since im interested how other people thinks about it and not to be afraid of gear police :wink: