Digitone vs. Digitakt Midi Sequencing Superiority

Whenever I look into this subject, the consensus seems to be that the Digitakt is better than the Digitone for sequencing external MIDI gear. Everyone lists the higher number of midi channels (8 channels on the DT vs 4 on the DN) and the higher polyphony (8 voice on the DT vs 4 on the DN) as the main advantages.

However, I never see anyone mention the one area that Digitone has Digitakt beat by a mile - the note button. It is so much easier and more fun to step sequence a pattern (or to edit a recorded pattern) by being able to see exactly what note is sequenced to a step right there on the chromatic keyboard.

I don’t understand why this never comes up in discussions on this topic and I think some newcomers are being mislead to buy the DT to sequence midi gear.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else agree that the DN is a more robust machine in this regard?

3 Likes

I picked DN specifically for its sequencer cababilities. I need transposing in a ”live sequencer”.

2 Likes

I think you have the polyphony wrong. Digitone has 8 note midi polyphony per track to Digitakt’s 4.

8 Likes

I have a horrible feeling I am going to end up owning both :weary:

4 Likes

You will. I bought the DT, then my local shop put the DN $100 off a few days later, bought it immediately

2 Likes

I guess it depends on your external sequencing needs. If it’s primarily drums, mono synths and the occasional chord, DT is more than adequate, plus has more channels to cover more drums, for example. DN is better for chordal work imo. Anyway, OT kicks both their asses with its Midi arp :wink:

2 Likes

Kinda like they were made to sequence each other.

1 Like

The notes feature alone makes the DN my favorite sequencer for notes. The only thing I wish it had was a Random feature on the arp, and of course having the arp plockable.

3 Likes

You mean DN? Also, I was amazed the other day feeding DN external midi and seeing the notes pop up on the Notes screen. Really useful stuff :blush:

Edit: also OT does both of those things and more if you ever get chance to pick one up for a decent price :ok_hand:

3 Likes

You will soon realize that one LFO per track may not be enough. Well, actually it is, but you’ll discover the magic of having an extra LFO per track with using the DT/DN combo

1 Like

Yes I meant the DN. The OT is great for drum sequencing, and plocking the arp is nuts, but the DN makes working with notes so, so easy.

4 Likes