Digitone vs A4... which one to buy?

I guess the key thing here, regarding the sound palette and analogue vs digital etc, is that if you’re more interested in making music than trying to slavishly copy the sound of some other device then it doesn’t matter so much. I’ve seen discussions going on for years on KVR about which VA software synth is more accurate and it sends me to sleep. To put it more politely, you’ll probably be happier if you accept something for what it is. I’m not a professional musician or producer, I’m just a hobbyist who wants to enjoy noodling with electronic music away from my computer screen and I’m sure most of us would agree that for that purpose, the DN (among many other great groovebox products on the market) can go a LONG way.

Regarding the input/mixer thing - that’s great news and one more way to have fun.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree.

I wanted only to point out, there are differences, which we can’t change. I love my DN and my analogue synths for what they are. They complement each other.

1 Like

Used as a standalone box, I have more fun with the A4 than the DN. That is less to do with synthesis and more that the A4 has the mini keyboard buttons as well as the 16 step buttons. I find it so much easier to play and tweak melodies on it than with the DN. Also far prefer the A4 for drum sounds.

I often contemplate upgrading my DN to the Keys…

2 Likes

In my opinion, the digitone is easier to program than the A4. The A4 is deeper. The digitone has more sweetspots. Only sweetspots actually if you ask me.
The fm on the DN is no problem to learn. Invest some weeks and you will get there easily.
As you already mentioned, it’s also a joy to not always know, where you end up when you create sounds. That’s the beauty of fm for me, and especially on the DN cause they picked the parameter ranges and combinations so that it always sounds good.
I love both synths, but the DN is more instantly satisfying I think.
And while not emulating analog synths particularly, the digital filter sounds super lovely, so while digital, subtractive synth sounds are easily achieved. It sounds super hifi and also punchy. Production ready I would say.
I could say many great things about the A4 as well, but you seem to tend towards DN so I thought I just encourage you for that decision. Don’t be scared of Fm, it could not be easier and more user friendly implemented as on the DN imo

2 Likes

Cost does come into this as well. I’m lucky enough to be able to afford a £1100 synth but I don’t take it lightly as that is as much as I would spend in 5 years on software. I want to be able to enjoy this thing for some time and not feel that need to buy more.

I think if I can get past my own issues of expectations and enjoy it for what it is then I’ll be fine with a £650 Digitone. I get enjoyment from my M:S (techno jamming now) but having to choose and pre-load samples just milks a lot of the immediacy out of it for me.

Does anyone know if Elektron stuff ever gets a decent Black Friday discount anywhere? It’s not a cheap purchase for me so if I can save a reasonable amount on the best UK Digitone price (currently about £630) then maybe I’ll wait.

If you want to hear some stunning DN tracks check Ivar‘s latest videos

2 Likes

As far as forum feedback- plocks make more sense. personally, with subtractive synthesis than FM. its more likely that you have a better understanding of what you’re affecting with sub synthesis than with FM.

But from a wreckless point of view- the digitone will provide you greater unexpected results

Im dying here! I can’t decide DN or A4 :frowning: …probably neither
Im not smarter after watching all those videos on yt, probably 50 of them. Tbh im only sure that now i miss my Mnm even more!
It’s surprisingly sad how similar A4 sound in those yt videos! Many talented ppl on yt but i mostly hear the same sound design, 99% the same genre, and I don’t know who’s to blame? A4’s inability to sound more diverse or the prevalent stylistic trend? Im not sure that i can make it sound ‘mine’ as I could with Mnm.
Digitone demos obviously sound more diverse but im not convinced it’s more interesting than Mnm and I don’t want do regress

1 Like

I had the same question and decided for an A4 … I am glad I did

2 Likes

A4 definitely.

2 Likes

the latter, if anything

1 Like

When I had an A4 for like 6 months, I made very diverse sounds with it. Some went into a harsh noise release, some for ambient passages for a podcast, drums for an industrial metal / rock song etc.

It’s exremely versatile. If most people on YouTube just remake the same sounds and either techno or ambient, doesn’t mean that’s all it’s capable of. It’s a modular synth in a box with 4 voices, it’s capable of pretty much anything, especially if you add some outboard effects. IMO it really needs an external filter, something with a lot of character since the built in filter is quite neutral.

3 Likes

I made a video comparing my thoughts on the DN vs A4:

The short of it is that I like both for different reasons: Digitone has more voices, is less complex and thus makes it faster to work with IME. Easier to make full tracks on because of that. The A4 on the other hand gives you way more sound shaping options but has fewer voices. For me, working with the A4 is slower because there are so many things to tweak, and making full tracks using only 4 voices takes more creative thinking and workarounds. As for sound, I’ve been going back and forth on which one I like the most. Right now I’m in an A4 period :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’d buy an A4. (Caveat: I have a DN already.)

Obviously, neither will replace a MnM and if buying neither is an option, then maybe do just that.

I find the DN ambient (and techno) ”scene” pretty boring for the most part but it sure does lend itself great to that dusty ambient sound. However, the DN masters have shown it’s a very capable and versatile device. The same goes for the A4.

2 Likes

I’ve had both and the Digitone is more interesting to me. You can get analog-style sounds out if it and much more. The A4 has a few extra modulation options but the core timbre is much more limited. Easy choice with the Digitone being half its price.

1 Like

True if you buy a new A4 mk2 but A4 mk1 and DN prices are very similar. Both in the 500€ range here in Finland.

You’re also right in that the DN is capable of pretty analog-like sounds. Those are actually some of my favourite DN sounds.

3 Likes

I’m extremely tempted to sell my 0-coast and buy an A4. But then I’d know the same issues with it would make me want to sell it and buy something simpler. Woe is me

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. You know there’s one available in the usual place right now? 550€. I’m trying to hold my NGNY pledge and it’s not like I NEED one right now. (Do we ever?)

Yeah… I’m tempted! Not enough to put on my buying pants, but still

1 Like

If we lived in the same town we should probably buy it together. You know, an A2 each. :grinning:

1 Like