Digitone Shoegaze

Made a shoegaze track with Digitone as the sound source. Some of the sounds are sampled into and sequenced by the Digitakt but all sounds originate from the Digitone.
Recorded live through my Analog Heat (saturation setting, little bit of drive envelope on the kick, lots of the high end rolled off and the low end fully boosted) into a zoom h4n.
It could definitely do with a bit of master compression and a bit of dynamic EQ but I didn’t call myself “No Masters” because I love mastering tracks, did I?

51 Likes

Good stuff!

1 Like

Damn! I should have take the name “No Masters”

This is really impressive stuff! Great work!

1 Like

@ViolentMeals thanks, praise is important to me.

@Ryan I don’t even like the name, but my wife and all my friends think it’s great, which is more than they’ve ever said about my music.

Thanks for listening folks.

5 Likes

This is pretty damn good.

2 Likes

Great stuff! Read the description and thought “there’s no way that it’ll actually sound shoegazey” but works super well, bravo!

4 Likes

Really enjoyed this track, please keep them coming!

1 Like

I’m really surprised myself at how versatile the Digitone is. I’ve covered a lot of different styles with it and it never feels like a struggle getting the sounds I want out of it.

I’ll do my best.

1 Like

Wonderful fuzzy crunchy sound.
I’m still getting the hang of the digitone. It really is an impressive synth.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a very fine line between this and really needing a de-esser.

Thanks for listening.

3 Likes

Also really liked this track. Great work! More, more, more!

3 Likes

How would one go about getting the mbv sound on digitone? I’d probably sample it on digitakt and then bit crush it, any tips would be appreciated.

1 Like

So yeah, the easiest way is to sample your Digitone sounds with the Digitakt. It’s all about layers though.
For the track above I had two “guitars” playing on two Digitone tracks with a lot of chorus, reverb and overdrive.
I also had two samples of similar, but more pad-like sounds from the Digitone on the Digitakt, one playing forwards with lots of reverb and delay and a little bit crushing, the other playing backwards to give that sort of false reverse reverb effect.
Tiny amounts of pitch mod with the LFOs on both DT and DN scattered about go a long way towards that mbv sound too. You can replicate a bit of the reverse sound on the Digitone by playing with the LFO speed and phase on the pitch and a very slow LFO on the drive can yield nice washy results if paired with the HPF and experimentation with the filter env.
I also have a Quadraverb on an FX send doing a reverse reverb and flanger for extra layers, because nothing screams mbv more than old digital rack effects.

Without looking I don’t remember how I created the patches on the Digitone, but if I managed it, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Keep meaning to do more of this but keep getting distracted by other gear.

6 Likes

Ok, so it’s not strictly Shoegaze until the end and even then it’s pretty tenuous but here’s a bit more of the Digitone pretending to be in a band from the 1990s.
Everything except percussion is Digitone (except the tiniest bit of Lyra 8 at the very end).
Percussion is Digitakt, DFAM and Erica DB01.
Analog Heat and Quadraverb on master and send respectively.

15 Likes

This is so good. Great work!

1 Like

I appreciate this detailed response, thanks a bunch

1 Like

This is awesome, I couldn’t stop listening and was glad I made it to the finale! That wave of sound just washed over me, sounded great on my phone speakers. I’d love to hear this on my monitor headphones and just zone out. Make sure you include this in your next release, you should do a whole album of this.

1 Like

@spacelordmother thanks for listening, positive feedback is always greatly appreciated.

@harmonyinultra no problem, hope I have been helpful.

@Cepheid thanks for your enthusiasm. This and a few similar tracks are on a list of tracks that my two man band are working on for our first release. That’ll be ages though, as we have very little opportunity to meet up and rehearse in the current circumstances.

1 Like

Sublime. Your best work yet. That I have heard anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m very much going with the plan of recording once and moving on.
I think it’s going pretty well.

2 Likes