Digitone or Syntakt for a beginner

If you want one and only one machine. It’s difficult to suggest Digitone without any other companion.

It will require heavy sound lock on one track for drums, doable but not straightforward.
Using two track for drum give you only two tracks for bass/melody, which can begin to force you to do some tricks.

Not that Digitone can not make great track alone. But it’s a bit more challenging. Or it’s music without drum.

The Digitone FM possibility are indeed bigger than the FM machine available on syntakt by the way.
But I really believe Syntakt is easier to master and at the same time really deep and all in one.
And Digitone will require more work if used standalone.

2 Likes

I think you should go with the one whose sound appeals to you more. In each case you will have limitations to overcome. It’s a lot more fun to work against limitations if you love your source material.

5 Likes

@Jacob mostly techno but I like it melodic. I don’t have very good experience on the piano.

Yes, I said only one, but I see that a lot of users get addicted to more Elektron boxes over time. Maybe I’ll be one of them, who knows.

I will most likely buy Syntakt.

You are really a very kind and fast community. Many thanks to all of you for your help and advice. :+1:

10 Likes

It sounds like you like the sounds of the Digitone better, so I would recommend that one. You don’t have to be a master of FM synthesis, at least right away. It comes with some good presets, and you can go to Elektrons website and preview other sound packs there. There are tons of sounds you can load into it, and if you want you can use them as starting points and learn and tweak from there.

3 Likes

@HoldMyBeer yes, Digitone has a wonderful sound, but due to the limitation of 4 tracks, I think I will struggle a lot, it won’t be easy for me even on Syntakt at the beginning, but I think I can learn to work on it faster as a beginner (I mean the entire Elektron workflow).

1 Like

I don’t own a Syntakt, but if anything would tip me over the edge to buy one, it would be this track.

For me, I have no complaints over the Syntakt sound after hearing that.

4 Likes

@bibenu I haven’t listened to the ambient, chill music that can be made on Syntakt, very nice.

1 Like

…a sampler is always the most simple, most direct, most comprehensable audio treatment/ music instrument…

while synthesis is level two…

…so, at first a dtakt…and then, same same but totally different, the stakt…

2 Likes

If you’re into techno, Syntakt is probably the best experience-wise, I wasn’t overly impressed by the sounds I heard from Syntakt from deep-diving but I absolutely love the sounds now, and it’s still a young machine early in its development, so it’ll open up more in time. I tried out Digitone for a bit and while I liked it, I didn’t absolutely love it like I do the Digitakt & Syntakt.
Also don’t rule out the Digitakt, it’s a powerful machine that allows you to expand with a couple of small synths and do a whole lot.

Syntakt without hesitation. I always said to myself that if I had to start again on an Elektron device, it would be the ST.

2 Likes

I’ve also studied Digitakt and know it’s powerful. Unfortunately, I can’t afford more boxes for now, so I will only buy Syntakt. And with time, who knows…

4 Likes

I do.

Those inputs combined with the FX make a GREAT rationalization for a future purchase :grinning:

3 Likes

Even though I own and enjoy my digitone, for an all round machine I would absolutely love to see this turn into an “I bought an analog four mkII and never been happier” post. Here’s a helpful video from eaves comparing the two which almost had me lean the other way.

I think my biggest hesitance with syntakt would be that it does everything except polyphony, I like digitakt as a sampler so I’m not that worried about whether the synth can sample or not, but analog warmth with no polyphony in a thousand dollar synth is heartbreaking.

Just my .0005 cents worth.

3 Likes

Syntakt is a perfectly good choice based on what you’ve said about your wishes. Don’t let all of our chattering distract you, we like to talk. And do check in with your experiences as you work with it.

4 Likes

cheap: Digitone
not cheap: Gotharman’s LD3

The ST is something that sounds great on paper, excellent specs, but I have yet to hear any demo that made me sit up and say “I need this.” I also don’t particularly enjoy programming drums, so much there is lost on me. My workflow would probably be to let Digitone handle chords and melodies, then cover beats some other way (loops, software, multi-tracking, etc). It can do such crisp and clean plucks or drifty, glassy pads, there’s plenty in there I’d want to work with.

Both boxes have similar drawbacks, with lack of kits. But I wouldn’t fall into the trap of “what it can do” if you don’t like how it sounds.

1 Like

I’d probably recommend the Syntakt unless you are specifically looking for a synth voice to play with keys and sequence external gear, or as a tool for sound design.
I see it as a good companion to an existing setup.

I started with the Digitone as my entry point for both Elektron boxes and FM synthesis, with the intent of using it as a groovebox. While I don’t regret it, that’s really diving in at the deep end.

FM synthesis is complex enough by itself, and trying to fit a song into four tracks while dealing with things like voice allocation can be frustrating/confusing if you’re new to this.

Part of where I have struggled with the Digitone is the interface.

• There are about 52 different parameters to define a sound on Digitone - split over five pages and five sub-pages (the exact number of parameters depends how you count it).

• With Syntakt, that number is 34 - with most of the controls on four main pages (eight parameters per page).
    That’s a lot easier to learn and use - but does not mean that it’s limited.

• Compare either of those to a synth like the MEGAfm, which has 32 faders for the four oscillators alone - and plenty of knobs/buttons dedicated to everything else, like its LFOs. It’s much more direct and hands-on.

Now I’m not suggesting that you pick up a MEGAfm - especially not as an entry point into FM synthesis. It can’t do a fraction of what the Digitone does.
I’m only trying to express how complex and menu-divey the Digitone interface can be when designing sounds.

Maybe some people take to it better than I did, but as a result, I don’t find it a very inspiring machine to improvise on - unless I’m using it to play a sound that I already crafted.
It’s something that I have to set aside some time, sit down, and really focus on, when designing sounds.

None of this is to say that you shouldn’t buy a Digitone.
It’s a great synth which can produce sounds that I love - and there are a lot of amazing performances out there that use only the Digitone because it’s so powerful.
But it takes a lot of work to get there, if you’re wanting to do the sound design yourself rather than buying packs - which is perfectly valid too, if you’re wanting to make music with great sounds someone else put the time into designing.

I moved to the Model: Cycles next, which was the complete opposite experience.
It gives you access to the full(?) Elektron sequencer, 90% of the controls have a dedicated knob or shift-function, and six tracks are a lot easier to work with than four - even if they’re monophonic.

This obviously brought some pretty big limitations.
But working within a limited set of parameters is what really helped me to learn the sequencer/workflow - and finding creative ways to work around those limitations can be part of the fun.

But ultimately, the M:C does have much more limited sound design potential - which is why I replaced it with a Syntakt.
(though I still have some lingering regret over selling the M:C rather than holding onto it - even if the ST can do everything the M:C does)

The Syntakt is a great balance between those extremes, and a bit underrated as a synth.
I think the reason it has a reputation of “everything sounding the same” is because a lot of people use the basic chord machine playing minor chords for their synth voices, and have not explored that in-depth, modulated it, or tried out other machines for that task.

Sound design is not as complex as the Digitone, as each machine gives you a starting point and its own set of controls to experiment with.
But it has a lot more machines than the M:C, and gives you full control over the amp envelope, filters (with an envelope), two LFOs, and the analog FX block.

With those tools, you can turn many of the machines into a synth lead, bassline, pads, a growling drone, etc - even the analog tracks.
That starts to give you a wider sound palette, and gets you in the same territory as some of those classic FM sounds - while doing its own thing as well.

It’s a lot easier to build a song when you have twelve tracks at your disposal, rather than four.
They may be monophonic, but that may not be important for a lot of music.

And with some MIDI tricks or careful sequencing, it’s possible to play multiple tracks like a poly synth (you could even use three of the analog tracks).
No arpeggiator like the Digitone though.

7 Likes

Syntakt. It’s a great jumping-off point for other devices.

2 Likes

@Scyphozoa Many thanks for the comprehensive description, comparison and explanation.

When I say I prefer the sound of the Digitone I guess it’s because I’ve heard the work of other people who have dedicated months/years of work to it, pushed it to the limit to get the perfect result I heard. This requires knowledge, time, will, creativity and patience. That’s why I decided on Syntakt. It won’t be easy for me right away, but it will certainly be easier than on Digitone (as a standalone).

7 Likes

For me the Syntakt is the only true standalone unit between the two. Digitone is amazing but its the perfect accomplice to either the Digitakt or Syntakt or any other groove box you like.

5 Likes