Digitone, or Digitone Keys?

Yeah! Digitakt for my synths, Digitone for my pedals.

The DK has plenty stereo outs so I can have…

T1 - Internal DK FX
T2 - Boss RV500
T3 - Boss DD500
T4 - Boss MD500

Love this thing just for the outputs. I can then send all these back in to the DK from the mixer to add more FX.
Think the DK has been my best investment in a while.

If I get DT then I could control the TD-3 etc from there.

I’m not near my DK right now but do midi cc have to be setup per pattern or by project?
I ask because I’m wondering whether I can assign my midi controllable pedals to different midi tracks on the DK and then control by the DK per pattern OR is it a case of setting up the external midi cc’s per pattern?

Just thinking/planning stuff out here

Per Pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks, thought it might be.

1 Like

I have a keystep.
can’t decide whether to get a DN again or go for the keys.
can get the keys for €850 and the DN for €650.

I don’t need individual outs.
since I have the keystep already would there be much point getting the keys?

[EDIT] - I went for the DN Keys :slight_smile:
€850 Inc shipping is a bargain.
can’t wait, woop :partying_face::raised_hands:t3:

I’m kinda oscillating between picking up a Dkeys and a DN at the moment.

I did own a Digitone prior, I loved it. And would probably love it again.

But i love the idea of noodling on a keyboard and doing tweaks. and also having the full Dtone setup whenevr i want to get sequency.

I guess Im wondering if a regular old midi keyboard can give you the same thing as the dkeys. maybe even with some mapped controls as per the knobs on the DNK.

but i guess you dont get those nice hold keys and stuff like that.

do any Keys owners have any recommends? maybe people who have had both devices?

i even had the foresight to offload my sysex last time i sold the DN, so nothing lost really :slight_smile:

My first post here - time for me to get involved, rather than just looking!

I’ve had the DN, sold it as it felt a little claustrophobic for my tastes. Then bought the Digitone Keys late last year (the price drop helped) and have never looked back - I love it. It’s far far more than just a DN with a Midi Keyboard attached to it.

• 8 dedicated knobs for common tweaking
  • 8 customisable knob settings of your own choosing (easily switchable)
  • A ‘latch’ or ‘hold’ button so you can leave it jamming (without the sequencer running) whilst you tweak and improvise
  • Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend and Aftertouch can have 4 additional modulation targets assigned to them, per sound. A lot of fun

Overall, it seems a very integrated package. Only one power supply to worry about, it’s a lot of fun to jam with and it looks cool!!! The keyboard is very nice to use (e.g. it almost feels luxury compared with my Wavestate).

I hope this helps. Getting the Keys has simply brought to life the Digitone experience for me.

6 Likes

I’ve had both and the keys is far superior. Fatar keybed is great. Aftertouch add so much life to the sound and the extra dedicated knobs are a workflow charm. Not to mention, the external control setup is super nice.

1 Like

I was thinking about selling my Digitone Keys I bought it and tested the encoders, updated it and put it back in the box Iv’e never had it back out since the day I bought it due to house renovations, also bought a Digitakt same day and that’s been in the box since June 30th 2020 lol… Hmm decisions

That sucks that you’ve never really given it a proper go. Dig out the Keys and have a play first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get that DK on the table and dive into it for a week!
It’s far too good a synth to sit in a box.
You’ll keep it for sure.

There, I said my piece…

3 Likes

I think I should to be honest because the day I bought it the thing looked fantastic. I am definitely selling the Digitakt as I use the MPCX for sampling and sequencing… Maybe the Digitone Keys deserves a chance once I’m done my renovations here :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right. I’ll probably need to update it. Last time I had it open was 30/6/2020 I’ll get it out and plug some headphones in later.

1 Like

Thanks guys :slight_smile: Nice advice @ShadowWhirler, and happy first post!

Actually, I found a nice ‘open box’ deal locally, and now the brand new price has actually dropped to that price also. It’s only $150 more than a brand new DN, and people aren’t really budging on those second hand at the moment. So a great price for the keys.

2 Likes

They’re are a couple mint ones on reverb for about $800… That’s a freaking steal…

1 Like

Yeah i’ve found the keybed to be really good, the form factor is ideal, it’s a great price, the individual outs are a huge different, and they are stereo and balanced. I have no complaints about any of the Elektron gear, to be honest, this stuff is absolutely amazing.

1 Like

Each of us chooses his own working tool. Digitone Keys was my choice. A modern instrument should have a lot. It is important for me to be able to modulate the sound, modulate on the fly. This is the only way I can find the sound I want, the sound well placed in the mix. 16 additional sound modulations (Mod Wheel x 4, Pitch Bend x 4 and Aftertouch x 4) allow me to work wonders. Digitone Keys is just additional features in sound design, everything is done very high quality. The keyboard is great. Digitone Keys became my main keyboard. In my case, the buttons and keyboard are much better than just buttons. The soul of the instrument is very in tune with my desires. I’m creative with Digitone Keys. Thanks everyone and good luck!

4 Likes

I lucked out and got a used one in near mint condition for $600. I’ve had the desktop version before. Aside from the huge size of the keys, I like it more in every way. It’s so fun and immediate and powerful. Even at $999 I think it’s a steal for what it is!

2 Likes

Unbelievable.

If I found one that good I’d snatch right away. DN got me into hardware behind a Moog mono. I’d prefer a cohesive Keys unit.

Today there was an Analog Four MKII mint on Guitar Center’s used outlet for $750+ tax.

$820 or so out the door but I was too late. I tried.

Whoever you are I’m coming for you!

2 Likes