Digitone, or Digitone Keys?

Hi guys, I’ve been in love with FM synths for a while now and I’ve decided that I’m going to buy a Digitone. I already own a Digitakt and the interface works well for me. My question is: are the keys worth the extra 400-500 (?!) euros? I would love to hear some pros and cons, especially from people who have used both machines.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

2 Likes

I don’t have the DK but I love my DN. I also can’t play keys to save my life. However, if I could, I’d def. get a DK as it also has the individual outputs, which would be a godsend for someone like me who doesn’t use OB.

4 Likes

DK also have more dedicated controls (and even user assignable ones).

DN has something I love though: portability! So much power in such a little footprint!!

But if you don’t travel with your gear or often go jamming with friends and you have enough room in your place to have a DK, I’d say go for it!
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Although I have not used a DN or DK, I believe the DK uses a FATAR TP9S keybed, which I have used on the Prophet Rev2, and it is an excellent, high end keybed. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

i’m finding the Digitone Keys to be really really nice! you can stretch out on the instrument in ways you can’t on the desktop, which i also love along with the digitakt. just a different doorway into the same great synth engines! multi map is really wild as is the arp with the dedicated keyboard and parameter knobs, so many modulation sources added with all the keyboard jazz and wheels. lotta synth

2 Likes

When the DN Keys was announced, I just knew that it wasn’t for me, because I already had a DN, and I liked the compact size. But over time I am seeing the benefits of the keys version. All the physical outs seem great. I could record it to my DAW through overbridge if I just want to get down and dirty that way, or I could have physical outs routed to external fx, or samplers, at the same time without re-plugging things. The 8 assignable encoders seem great for tweaking stuff when jamming. The built in pitch and mod wheel would be great in that regard as well. And having multiple octaves on the keyboard just for auditioning sounds would be great, not to mention recording. Now, some if this could be remedied by a midi controller, to which I have a few, but I think the Keys could make a good midi controller In and of itself as well, and could replace a standard midi keyboard for me. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but the current deals on Reverb are tempting me.

2 Likes

I should add, that while I am definitely interested in the Keys version, and that comes across in my prior post, the standard version is still amazing. And for it’s compact size, it is very powerful. I really don’t think you can go wrong either way. If you want to dip your feet in and get wet, the standard DN will keep you going for a while. It is fun and quick to get things going. And if size is a concern, then get the standard. I think the keys is 34” long, so it is no small board. But, the thing I like is that it is not too deep. So it saves space that way.

2 Likes

I’m not the OP, but this is a topic I’m really thinking about right now.

I’ve been struggling to come up with a reason why I’d want to go with the Digitone Keys over the standard DN except for the convenience of having an all-in-one system, but your physical output example is really helpful.

I love my Digitakt, and I can really see the Digitone Keys being my “command center” to my creative space. Being able to control my Digitakt and my Mother-32, and other MIDI in enabled instruments from the DK feels really good to me in theory. Being able to send elements of the DK out to different pedals or through a mixer also seems super powerful.

3 Likes

On a related note, do the individual outs on the Keys bypass the effects as if using OB or is it configurable?

3 Likes

Audio from the TRACK OUTPUTS is always without any effects.

Page 71 of the manual.

2 Likes

Aha, so my money is safe. Thanks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Afraid to be off topic? Lol

1 Like

It’s a thread about the differences between the DN and DNK. So, it’s pretty bang on, no? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I’m getting a second hand Digitone and will invest the rest of the money in a nice 88 keys midi controller and probably piano lessons!

5 Likes

It is relevant. You made me search in the manual.

1 Like

Yeah, I was glossing over the manual today, and saw a couple things I missed before. Mostly the handful of buttons at the top. It looks like one of them turns on and off midi controller mode. And you can set up and save eight different midi controller profiles as well, which is pretty cool. And there is a multi map mode button as well. Presumably, this would allow you to set up splits of different sounds on the keyboard. There’s also a hold button, which doubles as a portmanto on/off switch. And an arpeggiator on off switch.

That’s great, I’m sure you will like it!

I have both. Had the keys about 2 months. It’s well good… The extra knobs buttons and wheels and buttons make it a top notch instrument. its the full Digitone experience! Mappable Aftertouch :sparkles: And the Multimap thing is grand.

External controller mode is linked to a granular synth in my laptop. superb

I thought I would sell the small one to half pay for the Keys I treated myself to, but I’m using it as a percussion synth jacked into the Keys inputs. a fine combo. I won’t be selling the little one.

The individual outputs are fed into the Octatrack for all sorts of fukry.

The Control Inputs… work… but need an update. Ive opened a ticket with Elektron and waiting to hear back from them. …

If you have space and the extra cash, get one… its a cracker :+1:

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. If I get one, I will keep the small one for drums. I have been hoping they would do a big box DN, but I think the combo of Big & Little would take me to a whole other place.

1 Like

it’s a magic thing!

1 Like