Digitone mislabeled as Digitakt on hardware itself

Just like the guy who got the factory-defected Nikes that are worth $100k, you should keep it. (and sell it for $50k three years later)

There’s probably a Digitakt somewhere with a Digitone label on it.
That would make a cool collectors pair.

9 Likes

I would keep it.

Reach out to elektron support who would probably supply you with a new screen with instruction on how to fit, confident it wouldn’t be that difficult.

Previous owners with similar defects like buttons upside down scored free t shirts and stuff.

Cool story.

Although this is certainly unintentional, this is elektron who used to print obscure Easter eggs on their circuitry where they may never be seen.

I also totally get how a hand built machine could have the odd cosmetic defect in say one out of every 500. After all there is only a difference in 3 letters, an honest and easy mistake for an assemblyman.

Don’t sweat the small stuff I say

4 Likes

Keep it and request another screen from elektron I say, it’s one of a kind and they’ll prob send you another one in case you sell it soon and lose value

1 Like

I’ve seen a few Tone/Takt screen misfits in the past year or so between Reddit, Facebook groups, and here. There’s been a few posted with multiples of a number button as well, which would probably annoy me more. I think with these I’d be more worried about them being assembled late in a Friday afternoon than the loss in resale value.

1 Like

I like this one:

I sent it back to the retailer this morning. Just knew I would stress over it. Would rather have a correct one. New one is already on it’s way. Can not wait.

1 Like

Nooooooooooo!

As an update a month later, I am perfectly happy with my correctly branded Digitone. I do miss the novelty of my frankenstein model, but the piece of mind is better IMO.

3 Likes

these remind me of back in the day when I was a kid and collected baseball cards and the error cards were worth more so we always tried to get those.

1 Like

Keep it its like misprinted stamps.
they seem to make more mistakes at elektron with some button names too

most likely if you contact Elektron direct and open a support ticket, they will send you a new entire faceplate with the correct screen cover and you will have the cool factor of having both faceplates. Its a simple swap with 9 screws and popping the knobs on and off. … super easy and quick. Keep it and create a support ticket, dont go with the retailer you bought it from.

I just got a brand new Digitone Keys with a Digitakt screen. Probably works just fine, but I plan on returning it and getting a new one, so not going to test it.
It is concerning and disappointing that there appear to be so many mistakes made in assembly.

SICK! Nth of its kind. Maybe the only one!

KEEPER!

Just swap the screen cover if the unit is otherwise good! Can’t imagine this has happened many times, I don’t know how you say “so many mistakes” when yours was the first in 7 months. One of a kind I’m sure.

1 Like

I say ‘so many times’ because I have seen lots of instances of assembly mistakes, like incorrect buttons, etc.
I’m going to get a replacement unit. I don’t think I should have to get a repair done, or do it myself, on an exoensive brand new device.

Hmm, I am starting to think that the employees at the factory doesn’t know the difference between Digitone and Digitakt.

We want to have everything now, very fast and very cheap. But hell breaks loose if a button or a label sticker is wrong.

4 Likes

I would not call Elektron boxes cheap and it would be better if every company would take their time instead of stress out products with various issues.

I think it’s cool!

If it sounds different cuz of the branding…sure send it back.

I have a feeling it doesn’t.