Digitone + Lyra 8 + Heat = INDUSTRIAL DOOM

Yeah, mine’s red as well, I’d assumed they’d run out of green LEDs.

1 Like

New track, still just Lyra 8 and DN through a bunch of pedals and the Heat at the end. It’s part of a larger jam that I cut down to this because the rest was shit.
This track is mostly about getting the sounds right together rather than anything compositionally interesting. I think I’m one good chorus pedal away from getting the sound just how I want it.

2 Likes

Tried the lyra but in the end it almost always sounded the same. I also found it impossible to pair with other instruments or reproduce any sound. That aside the feeling while it was playing was great.

1 Like

I see the Lyra as being similar to a guitar or a theremin, in that it is an instrument with a relatively limited range of timbres, rather than the traditional idea of a synthesizer. I think that, much like guitars, the Lyra needs a mixture of decent effects and processing and a level of virtuosity that can only be gained through a lot of practice to really shine. Hopefully, 10 or so years from now there will be a whole load of artists making a whole load of awesome sounds with Lyras far beyond the ambient shit most of us amateurs are inflicting on the world right now.

4 Likes

Sounds like a plan Sir!

1 Like

You might be correct in that. 100% a instrument that will evolve in time. Still great for dark ambient and drone based sounds

2 Likes

I agree somewhat. I dont use much other than reverb . Lyra has its own delay overdrive so that takes care of that.

And yes, unlike midi based intstruments that be driven by computer programmes, Lyra needs artistry from a player. That part is crucial.

Unlike a guitar or synth , Lyra doesnt really do very well at lead or rhythm, although you can sort of tease it out sometimes… kinda.

Lyra is texture , Lyra is harmonic . That is what Lyra does well. Trying to do anything else, might lead to frustration. Let go of fixed ideas about scales and the world of Lyra opens up significantly.

I have had bit of writers block lately using my other (equal temperament) synths. Never have that problem with Lyra. I can always get something beautiful out of it.

2 Likes

Totally agree, the guitar analogy doesn’t really hold up when you want to think about what you use the Lyra for.

Luckily for me I know absolutely nothing about musical scales, making the Lyra the perfect instrument for me.

1 Like

Its an awesome instrument. I’m really looking forward to my saxophone player bandmate to get back from Antarctica so we can play again. Its been too long! Getting itchy to start finishing the EP too but I said I would wait for him.

Having some knowledge of scales is essential for making music in my opnion. Until you play a Lyra, then it all goes out the window! Hahaha!

1 Like