Digitone feature requests!

imho this would be rather unintuitive/cumbersome if using a DK or AutoChannel MIDI keyboard

1 Like

MIDI Arp and perhaps one more MIDI LFO. Iā€™d be happy with just MID Arp though :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Imho itā€™s totally cumbersome hold a button while playing notes on a keyboard.
Not at all to select a step. Am I the only one? :frowning:
I usually use 2 hands to play a keyboard. Even with A4 and DN! :smile:
Another reason would be to play an arpegio with one hand and change octaves with the other one in order to make unique arpegio quickly.
At least a button combo to hold/latch notes entering. Iā€™d even solder a switch if the behavior donā€™t change.

Good point but pressing twice rec allows you to do it normally in Grid Recording modeā€¦
Iā€™d need a better reason to change my mindā€¦

1 Like

I was a bit shocked and pretty disappointed as I realized that I canā€™t change the sound of a track with Program Change/Bank Select. Every multitimbral synthesizer I owned has this ability except for the DN. Iā€™m using an external Sequencer (which is superior to the internal one) for all of my gear and the PC/BS is directly bound to each sequence.

I bought the DN mainly because of the four independent (and beautiful) voices on a very small footprint. Binding this voices to each other makes this device needlessly unflexible. Despite that, having to change each voice by hand in a live set is a PITA. Especially because this is mostly needed in transitions. Many of you know that this situation is often demanding because many knobs have to be turned.

So please make it possible to change a sound by sending PC/BS directly to the associated channel of a track. The collision with the associated sequence is an non-issue in this case, because the internal sequencer isnā€™t used anyway.

2 Likes

Loving the new update! Hereā€™s a list of my feature requests, updated to the new firmware:

Easy Fixes

• Make arpeggiator-generated notes respond to trigless locks - this is my #1 request, would be so nice to have some trigless lock action on an arp!

• Random Mode for Arpeggiator! Amazed this still hasnā€™t been added >_<

• Option for Ctrl+All to affect soundlocked sounds

• On the trig page, func+turning the root encoder should jump up and down octaves, not just flip to the highest/lowest possible note values

• In the new sequencing mode, allow the midi-keyboardless users to create chords which span over an octave by waiting until the up/down key is released to advance to the next step. For example, I hold function and press the C+E key, then press and hold the up key to go up an octave and add a G, then release the up key to advance to the next step. As it functions currently, it automatically advances whenever notes are no longer held. Hopefully this makes sense, itā€™s a pretty simple request but hard to explain :stuck_out_tongue:

• Add toggle in the arp menu to lock arpeggio note offsets to trackā€™s scale (the manual still states this should be the way it behaves, so it should really be updated as an option).

• Make LFO Fade Parameter impact the modulation generated by LFOs in all modes, the fade being triggered by trigs with the ā€œLFO Trigā€ toggle (e.g. in Hold mode, new trigs would cause the held value to fade in/out, creating dynamic envelopes!)

• Add Trig conditions 1:9 thru 9:9, Iā€™ve been missing those in triplet-heavy tracks

• Make all LFOs regardless of mode recieve a one-time message to reset to the phase set with the lfo phase parameter whenever playback is started, so that tracks sound the same every time you play them, instead of depending on what random phase the freerunning lfo might be in when you happen to press the play button.

• Func+Pattern/Track transpose arrow up or down should should jump by values of 12 (octave jumps) like it does in the note page

More involved feature requests

• Add more scales, ability to use all trig keys to play multiple octaves of scale.

• Smooth Random LFO Shape

• Plockable Arp/FX

• New algorithm with 3 modulators modulating 1 carrier (a 3-way branch structure). Itā€™s the only thing I really feel is missing in terms of Algos (other than a crazy feedback Algo, hehe)

• Additional LFO Destinations, a dedicated Vibrato LFO

• Fixed Operator ratios, which can still be multiplied/divided by the ā€œRatioā€ parameter - just add a toggle underneath each ratio offset which changes them to a Hz value selector :slight_smile:

• Loopable Envelopes

• microtonal scale support (please, glide isnā€™t cutting it!)

• Song mode

• Retrig function from digitakt

• drive/distortion in delay feedback loop for really dubby sounds

• More filter models (comb+ and comb-, acid, notch, lpg, various other filter types).

• Allow patterns settings to connect track sounds so that edits to one affect the other (a simple optional kit implementation)

5 Likes

If they did that they could maybe implement it like the monomachine copy paste scheme. Trig+copy is std. but a long press on copy opens a context menu. Maybe copy trig as track settings. Then you could paste it on to a track and make it the new default track settings. Save it as a new patch in the sound manager. Done.

2 Likes

Why canā€™t you just treat a pattern as a multi program of sorts? Use program change to switch patterns which gives you a multi swap? What sequencer are you using btw?

3 Likes

this is already possible - itā€™s a bit button intensive but it is consistent with how other transposing keyboards offer similar functionality and how teh DN facilitates octave jumping

you simply have to hold at least one of the notes down when you jump octaves

so Press and hold Fn to get the keys

Play and hold the C
Play the E
Hold the AddNotes button and scroll octaves with Up/Down - so in your case up arrow once - then whilst still holding the first note play the higher G then release all notes and the split chord will be entered

2 Likes

I want to use each voice independently, just like 4 different synths. With the current implementation, Iā€™d have to specify the exact order how each of the sounds is used in the set. This leaves no room for improvisation and also limits the use of the DN for transitions.

My sequencer is the Deluge. The Elektron sequencer is nice for drums and Iā€™m using it on the Rytm. But creating melodic content is an awful process with this kind of sequencer. And there are plenty of other reasons why Iā€™m preferring it over everything else on the market.

Thanks for typing that out - that works as a pseudo-solution, but what if I wanted to enter, for example, a C and then another C one octave below? Thatā€™s not possible with the method you suggest - plus, using the octave keys just seems a lot less clunky to me, since youā€™re not jumping around with which notes are held / released.

Ah yeah, I doubt this would come to fruition as all of their products are defined by their sort of groove box like nature. Trying to turn it into a sound module seems like a bit of an edge case. Also I suppose youā€™d have to have the sounds loaded into memory of the project in some manner still so youā€™d have to carefully place patches into the sound pool. I fear this is probably not one of the things thatā€™ll be investigated :frowning:

1 Like

I believe this was actually addressed in this release, 1.30

I have a way of doing that I find pretty fast.

5 Likes

Thanks for the video, I really appreciate it! I know about this method of note entering, but what I was talking about is the new sequencing mode - I want to be able to enter a multi octave chord in that sequencing mode (via func+keys), and still have the sequencer advance to the next step when Iā€™m done entering it. Hopefully that makes sense, not sure Iā€™m explaining it well >_<

Ohhh I see. Yeah not sure thereā€™s gonna be an elegant way of doing that. I canā€™t think of a workflow that would allow it. :confused:

am I the only one who is finding that on the Digis it is too complicated to add sounds to the pool? I would like to be able to add them everywhere (e.g. double press track button --> enable the right tab) to the pool ā€“ not only when in that one particular sound manager which is hidden in the menus.

8 Likes

No - i find it super convoluted and itā€™s just not easy enough to arrange - this is an area iā€™d like to see some enhancements - i didnā€™t find a neat way of saving a track sound straight to the pool

9 Likes

Yes, my dreamy feature would be hold a trig, turn Level, choose an empty Soundpool slot, press Yes, and itā€™s in the Soundpool! Eventually with a save as sound procedure just after.
A replace choice if the sound is existing.

4 Likes

Itā€™s pretty easy easy to switch to Grid Recording, but I also think Step Recording mode can be improved.

Thatā€™s exactly how I use mine.