Digitone 1.2_ bugs discussion

You encountered something wrong in OS 1.2x (1.20 onwards) and want to check if others can replicate it ?
Here is the place.

Doesn’t replace a support ticket, of course, but you might want to check if it’s not a feature before declaring a bug.

Please report all bugs via the Support Tickets section on elektron.se if they have not already been confirmed below.

Please specify relevant version numbers after 1.20 is superceded

EDIT: Post changed to reflect further testing.

Hey ‘Nauts. I’m hoping someone could confirm this bug for me. What’s going on is that if a midi sequence is programmed externally, then recorded on the DN in grid recording mode, then the external midi track is muted, additional recording passes on the DN (like for recording parameter locks on the DN), results in most of the sequence being deleted and replaced with unlocked yellow lock trigs. The logic behavior is super-weird and I can’t quite figure it out, but I’ll give you the steps to reproduce reliably:

1. Connect something that can send a midi sequence to DN midi in. Clock the DN from this device.
  2. Send to the DN on channel 1.
  3. Create a 16 step, 1 bar sequence.
  4. Play the sequence, and record it on the DN. Stop recording on the DN but let the machines keep playing.
  5. Mute or stop the incoming midi track.
  6. Hit the recording combo again, on the DN, and let the recorded sequence play through twice.
  • Behold the weird-ass results.

This can happen with other combos of notes other than the full 16, but like I said, I can’t suss the logic. The muting/stopping of the incoming midi track seems like a critical component to make this bug happen. I look forward to your results! Thanks.

EDIT: I’m on os 1.20, and I don’t know if this was an issue in earlier DN os’s
EDIT: I tried this out with a Keystep, Octatrack and with Ableton as the midi source. Same behavior- pausing the keystep, muting the OT midi track, or stopping the Ableton clip after recording, then doing another recording pass on the DN results in the partially deleted sequence and yellow trigs…

If you have access to a computer then I would check if and what MIDI messages the OT is sending when you mute a MIDI track.

The muting combo itself isn’t sending anything. Watching a midi monitor when muting, the OT isn’t leaving any hanging note ons. Everything has a corresponding note off. Looks more likely that the OT isn’t the problem here.

1 Like

I isolated the issue. It has to do with the order in which steps 4 and 5 of the original post are executed. To summarize, if the DN record button is pushed to stop recording after the first recording pass, and BEFORE the external midi sequence is paused/stopped, then you get the deletion/yellow trigs on the next DN recording pass. If the DN record button is pushed to stop recording AFTER the external midi sequence is paused/stopped, then no bug.

1 Like

I think I found a bug.

Someone has experienced probles when removing several trigs at the same time? I can create them but when I want to remove them I have to do it one by one…

A possible bug involving the new arrangement for sending Bank Select messages in OS 1.20 is under discussion here:

1 Like

Not completely sure but I think now when, for example, I create 4 triggers at once it´s ok, and when I try to remove them, maybe only 2 or 3 are removed.

There seems to be a conflict with the new Reload Track Sound (NO + T1-4)…as during live record that is already used to clear trigs as the sequence is playing. I tend to use this a lot so it’s pretty annoying to keep accidentally reverting a sound I’ve been tweaking.

1 Like

Yes this seems indeed to be a bug. I will notify our firmware developers about this. I tested, and if you press T1-4 + NO (In that order) then it will only remove the trigs (in live record mode) and not reload the track sound. Still, that NO + T1-4 does two things at the same time is obviously not the way it should be.
Thanks for the heads up.

6 Likes

The mod wheel, pitch wheel and aftertouch doesn’t work after I updated. I don’t know if it’s only in overbridge mode or in the other mode as well. I can’t check it because I’m not home for the moment. Is this bug reported to elektron?

I’m using Digitone together with an Arturia Keylab 49.

2 Likes

The new control all revert feature only reverts the current page and not every control-all tweaks on several pages. If you keep holding the MIDI button and go back to the different pages you had been tweaking and press NO they will revert to their default state but actually not fully on some tracks. I have experienced a few times where some tracks did not revert fully.

It would be great to have this fixed and have this new function revert all Control-all action.

(Func+No reloads the pattern fully and tracks may be muted so it’s not the same)

This. Saving project with FUNC+SETTINGS turn on the mute mode, then you need to press FUNC again to exit.

Noticing a velocity bug when using aftertouch.

Doesn’t happen all the time but I’ve been able to recreate it sporadically using a specific work flow. Soft velocity note on and apply aftertouch. Sometimes after releasing key, the velocity will be stuck around that level. Meaning hard or soft hits will be noticeably quieter. To fix hit any key hard and apply after touch. Volume will spike back up…

Some Plocked steps don’t flash, while others do. Seems totally random.

Aren’t sound locks flashing?

Yes, but not parameter locks. That’s not normal is it?

Just a wild guess: can you set a lock trig (yellow) which doesn’t actually contain any locked parameter?

Because:

The [TRIG] key of the locked trig blinks red (for note trigs) or yellow (for lock trigs) to indicate the trig now contains a parameter lock.

… sound like it’s blinking yellow when there is an actual parameter locked (compared to a lock trig without a parameter locked).

Erm, not that I know of?

Is that a line from Inception? Haha.

It’s from the manual section where it gets explained how to set parameter locks.

1. Press [RECORD] to enter GRID RECORDING mode.
  2. Press [TRIG] to add a Note trig or [FUNC] + [TRIG] key to add a Lock trig and to where you want to perform a parameter lock.
  3. Press and hold the [TRIG] key of a previously placed trig (note trig or a lock trig).
  4. Turn the DATA ENTRY knobs that control the parameter you want to lock, and set it to the desired value. The graphics become inverted for the locked parameter, and the locked parameter value is displayed. The [TRIG] key of the locked trig blinks red (for note trigs) or yellow (for lock trigs) to indicate the trig now contains a parameter lock

So it seems you set first a lock trig (2) and afterwards lock a parameter there (3 + 4).

But when you stop after (2) then you have a lock trig (yellow) without a locked parameter which will not blink.