Digitakt - what's the magic?

Well conceptually a drum machine was supposed to replace the drummer. A Digitakt does not do that, by design it needs to be operated. Compared to a classic drum machine like the 808, for example it’s a very hands on device and capable of making pretty much any kind of song in, but you cannot program the drums to a song or a live set in it and just leave it running in the backround, like a drummer. Conceptually a totally different type of device.

I’m using the Digitakt for sampling a piano and acoustic guitar and bass and create full songs with it by triggering the patterns manually. So I’m using the Digitakt the wrong way all the time?!? :open_mouth:

1 Like

No, you’re using it as intended :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean drum machines in the 80’s were touted as being good as a stand in drummer, no one ever said you had to leave them alone when using them.

No, but they offered the option because conceptually, a drum machine was supposed to replace the drummer, not be a workstation for building full songs with.

Like you, I am not a fan of completely ditching my DAW when producing. I wanted to get a device for the sole purpose of “not using piano roll” for creating drums, yikes. In that sense, I didn’t really need a full-fledged groovebox, or a deep stand-alone device. I have been very happy to be using DT for this purpose. I have made an imaginary template for the 8 tracks (sub/kick/perc 1-kick layer/perc 2/lead-drone/open hat/closed hat/bonus), for which I have created a template in Ableton. Each of these tracks include utility to adjust the low volume out of DT, compressors, saturators, some soundtoys plugins and many FX based return tracks ready to be armed right away.

In this way, I start my projects with having fun/experimenting first. Then I add synths or pads in the box and start mixing. If you get a device for a specific purpose, I would say you will be more productive and happy with your purchase. This was what I have been missing in my workflow, and DT filled that in quite perfectly, even added extra juice I didn’t know existed (like p-locks, trigless trigs, etc.)

I would advise you not to buy something for the “magic” it anectodally offers, or how well it goes with the DN. These products have been offered to markets with specific price points and target audience in mind. They have been purposefully deprived of certain features so that you must go higher in their product range. So you won’t get all you want from a single device, which is a good thing. I wouldn’t want my acoustic guitar to sound like theremin, should I need it someday. I’d say get the DT if you need a good sampler/drum machine with some good accidents to be had down the road.

3 Likes

stop playin with me…

Depends on the user. I actually haven’t made a single beat on it yet and have been using it purely as a sampler for my synths, mostly sampling sequences/loops. It’s so quick and easy for this and I never need to do any editing of samples. I also love the sound quality. I use the Rytm Mk2 for drums. I do really like the sound of the Digitakt as a drum machine though and will use it that way for a future set/album.

I’ve thought of the Digitakt as more of a groovebox as well

I’m not saying Boo-urns

Overbridge multitrack…magic

2 Likes

Multimagic! What a great band or producer name!

This :slight_smile:
Thanks @Eaves for clarifying all this :pray:

1 Like

Programm-change per step, and plock, pitchbend, modulation, even midichannel you can change, it’s a machine with wild midi options,

1 Like

That is actually already working :slight_smile:
Works like a charm with some external synth, mainly microfreak and novation MiniNova.

Randomize LFO 16th step length to Programm Change- Magic!!!

3 Likes

Well, when i was writing in this thread formerly, i actually had to bite my tongue, because i was part of the private beta testers and knew what was about to come out. I´d say…Digitakt the best drum machine, Elektron has ever made with this new OS update. Yes still no song mode, but those new features lifts it to a new level of pure awesome Elektron machineyness. Conceptually and practically. Do you get the magic now?

:wink:

11 Likes

Yea…wow… What an update. A lot more magic now since this thread was published. @djst jumped in at the right time! The DT happily swallowed many hours of mine last night.

4 Likes

This update is simply amazing! So many of the minor issues I had with it solved in one update, most notably the lack of a second filter/EQ, a second LFO and the ability to route my Digitone into the Digitakt (rather than the other way around) for easier sampling from the Digitone. Hats off, fellow Swedes @ Elektron! :sweden:

3 Likes