Digitakt - what's the magic?

Small but important distiction :slight_smile:

LFO to sample slot and resample the output…

2 Likes

Live performance oriented drum machine without song mode. Happy now?

Oooo, haven’t even got into resampling the outputs yet. Pandora’s Box, here I come!

2 Likes

Conceptually?

Opinions cant be true or false. They are just opinions. You don’t agree its a drum machine. Thats where it ends.

Doesnt matter what anyone calls it. Doesnt matter what anyone thinks it is on a conceptual level. Doesnt matter how anyone uses it. Or what type of sounds they make with it.

Like digitakt, dont like digitakt, doesnt matter.
Think its magic, think its shite, doesnt matter.

Use it, make sounds. Or not.

4 Likes

Beat making (…) drum machine…

We were talking conceptually :stuck_out_tongue:

No we are talking about what Elektron is saying themselves about it, aka facts.
And the concept behind this, which related in the design.

Wellll you said conceptually, and conceptually it’s not JUST a drum machine, but much more. That text says it’s a beat making powerhouse and a formidable drum machine, both of which are true but conceptually it’s more of an all around groovebox than a “just” a drum machine.

Hmmm you said less, because of the missing song mode…

:crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I actually said “just” :sunglasses:

No you wrote:

🥸

I’m confused, where did I write the word less?

Ah ok, you were just repeating this. I understand. I misread that.

1 Like

Conceptually a drum machine needs a song mode, as it’s supposed to play the drum beat in the backround so you can concentrate on other elements of the music. Digitakt does not do this, conceptually it’s meant to be the main instrument in your setup. It’s very much meant to be played, hands on instead of pre-programmed and do it’s thing in the backround. Thus conceptually, it’s not a drum machine but a groovebox.

I could do this all day.

Yes, that’s your opinion. Elektron thinks differently. See the picture above.
There is actually no authority that declares these definitions as a common rule for everyone to use as a must. There is a common understanding, which doesn’t mean that there can’t be exceptions. And Digitakt is simply a drum machine without a song mode. This doesn’t make it a not a drum machine. It is a drum machine.
I wouldn´t call it a groove box, because of the missing song mode. It has grooveboxey features yes, but is marketed as a beat making … drum machine.
To finish this little discourse, i can agree with you that we disagree. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure if you dug through the preview videos, they said that it’s conceptually much more than just a drum machine. But yeah, let’s drop it since it was a stupid semantic argument to begin with. I felt like I had to jump in because selling the Digitakt as a drum machine is kind of misleading, as it’s not really that good as a basic drum machine. The lack of song mode means that it just doesn’t work really well if you for example want a drum machine to play in the backround when you’re playing guitar, or to use live for beats.

Where is it written in stone that drum machines must have song mode?, or that they are meant to be used as a backing up tool?.

Well conceptually a drum machine was supposed to replace the drummer. A Digitakt does not do that, by design it needs to be operated. Compared to a classic drum machine like the 808, for example it’s a very hands on device and capable of making pretty much any kind of song in, but you cannot program the drums to a song or a live set in it and just leave it running in the backround, like a drummer. Conceptually a totally different type of device.