Digitakt vs. Octatrack

mkII brings the master stereo volume indicator l.e.d.

Damn, all this talk about OT has gotten me interested in one :stuck_out_tongue:

Going to wait to see what the next OT software update will bring. Paying that amount of money for a 6 year old machine with only some hardware updates is a bit steep imho if thereā€™s going to be no changes at all. Curious to see what they are going to do with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I canā€™t stress enough the 8 recorders, buffers, and recorder trigsā€¦
The OT can be continuously sampling from its inputs or resampling (individual tracks, mains, or cue) samples of various lengths, starting on any step, even every step, and updating any step or steps of any of the tracks continuously with the new material, or slices of it. x8!
Itā€™s super deep and Iā€™ve never seen any other gear that can do anything like itā€¦ You could program it so you play in one note and it creates an electronic symphony that keeps morphing on and onā€¦
In my opinion this is what sets the OT apart from any other machineā€¦ :sparkles::monkey_face:

8 Likes

the OT is amazing and quite cold, logical yet eccentric for want of a better word. Not in sound, but rather in workflow and the initial ā€œgetting to knowā€ the instrument. Thinking about gain staging is vital. As is reading Merlinā€™s mini-manual, economical yet illuminating, the way he approaches and interprets.

the Digitakt doesnā€™t timestretch a loop.

but hereā€™s one reason why the Digitakt is the perfect companion for the OT: one shot samples sound 15 percent better on the Digitakt, this is due to the new breed programming and sample handling. And the OT already sounds clear, rich and amazing, so ā€¦ bonus.

Idea: sequence samples on the Digitakt and then realtime capture the loop onto the Octatrack and this is a perfect workflow matching catering to the best of both worlds.

also, if anyone says the idea of comparing the Digitakt and the Octatrack is like searching for similarities between apples and oranges, donā€™t listen to them :smiley:

Also to mention: there is no word in the English language that rhymes with orange.

4 Likes

I always said orange rhymes with storage, porridge ā€¦

It only when we over enunciate do we screw up our rhymes.

2 Likes

actually was meant as a semi-comical aside,
an existentially abstract non-truism,
although cheers for the share :smiley:

1 Like

beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess ā€¦

i think heā€™s a fricken genius, part-time shock jock notwithstandingā€¦ legit orange rhyming proof-of-concept or not :smiley:

somewhat confrontational lyrics sometimes are out of my gameplaying field of comfort zone, gotta respect the tweaky rhyming ability though. or not. celebrate the differences i reckon.

Eminem is a great MC. I donā€™t think you understand the nuances of rhyme.

1 Like

Letā€™s just agree to disagree.

1 Like

May I add ā€œplockable ARPā€.
Even A4 doesnā€™t get this !
Totally insane IMHO. With 10 CC and 3 LFOs on each MIDI track, it does overshadow DT on this area.

As you can set recorder trig on OT, you can capture loops of predefined lengths.
This makes OT the perfect instrument for on-the-fly sampling and sample mangling.

On DT pros, I would add the precision, although for reaching a value it can sometimes be annoyingā€¦

2 Likes

the user interface of the Digitakt must be mentioned as a highly desirable feature. Also the conditional trigs are next level.

lol i didnā€™t know OT brings the arpeggiator ā€¦
so there is something to be said for reading the manual after all.
does the global Swing parameter effect the arpeggiator playback?

accessing swing on arpeggiators is quite difficult or impossible sometimes. that is why i like Zebra - even though it is a software synthesizer, sounds great, and offers arpeggiator swing, very cool :heart_eyes:

I have a quick question. Iā€™m Planning on buying a OT MK1 this week. In the OT manual it says that each track can have a different time signature. So, just to be sure (This is really unbelievable. Been looking for this in a sequencer forever), I can have one track running at normal speed, then another going double the speed, and another half the speed? That is amazing.

yes

1 Like

I wish this was on the DT and the A4.

1 Like

Long time OT user, have a DT on the way. I wanted to add 8 tracks to my setup, mostly for drums. Was thinking about a rytm mk2 (still have one preordered) but Iā€™m not a huge fan of the rytm (sold my mk1) analog sounds and I mostly sample my eurorack.

This one of my only feature requests for the DT. Clock dividing on a sequencer seems like it could be such fun. I woder if there are enough people who have bothe the DT and the OT to make a separate thread? I would love to know how people are using these two beasts together.

1 Like

I think this is a good choice. If you want drums and bass sounds the DT is the most immediate, fun drum machine Iā€™ve ever used. When they come out with OB, things will open up eve more.

1 Like

I thought DT had individual length per track?

Page 32 of the manual:

10.9.2 LENGTH PER TRACK MODE
In this mode, the tracks of the pattern can be assigned individual lengths.

That is essentially a different time signature per track? Or did I misunderstand somehing?

Thanks for the support :wink:

By now, I know the OT really really well and can do everything very fast, but, menus and many clicking to achieve things is not always fun. Hope the immediacy of the DT to provide a more enjoyable drum sequencing experience.