Digitakt vs. Octatrack

this comparison video was already discussed in another thread IIRC?

Would like to see that thread, if someone can dig it up. :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s clear is that both sound great.

What sounds better is feeding a DT through the A4 filters! :smiley:

which one has better effects and sample mangling power?

Its a distinct sound, well rounded lows and crunchy highs. However, the lows can get pretty deep to stop someoneā€™s heart with the filters. It will destroy small speakers too.

OT has more options in both FX and Mangling but I think both are better on DTā€¦ the mangling is more debatable though.

1 Like

Things like slide trigs, 64GB CF capability, live looping, all those LFOs, LFO designer, various sequencable FX parameters (without sacrificing MIDI tracks) got my jones off the DT and back onto an OT MK2.

Iā€™m certain either would be great additions, but concerned I would grow out of the DTā€™s capabilities much sooner. Where as the OT can wear so many hats, it would be difficult to grow out of.

An it doesnā€™t hurt that the fact it isnā€™t available yet gives me more time to save up for it.

I also just really like Kits (Parts), and DTā€™s implementation isnā€™t my favorite in that department.

Without DT, Iā€™d mostly be losing out on immediacy, but with practice I can overcome that.
And trig conditions, but I have two other sequencers with that feature, and LFO designer should help bring the random.

CTRL ALL is something that scene can easily fake with a bit of Scenes setup, and Iā€™m not opposed to taking the time. In fact with MD, I went to great lengths to make CTRL ALL more customizable by p-locking steps on sounds I didnā€™t want affected by that action. So in this regard, Scenes are no more work for me.

The real question is what kind of Trinity Name does an AR MK1 + AK + OT MK2 get bestowed.

3 Likes

the Abstractly Responsive Trinity

i love the sound of the Digitakt

OT sound is fabulous also, and actually has a variety of sound design options to achieve the warmth clarity and presence of the Digitakt ā€¦ i think 24 bit mode is going to be almost essential to use on the OT to achieve the same quality.

Iā€™ve never used an MD but just FYI, OT scenes do affect plocked steps. Sometimes this is great and sometimes it makes scenes feel too drastic - would be cool to have an option for it somewhere. Lord knows there are already enough options though!

I am fine with that.

I only p-locked steps on MD in this manner to isolate which sounds I did not want affected by CTRL ALL.

With Scenes I just invert it, assign parameters on sounds I DO want affected.

2 Likes

itā€™s great the way the non-p-locked parameters will morph back into place once the xfader is returned to the scene with no parameter locks.

quicker workflow

1 Like

Couldnā€™t decide if this was a DT, OT, or just general topic, and Iā€™m sure the mods will move appropriately.

Since picking up the DT Iā€™ve really become intrigued by the OT. Up until now I hadnā€™t really given it much thought-its a sampler with a crossfader so what?

However since having the DT the possibilities that could come with the OT have really changed that thought process.

Iā€™ve seen a few posts with people trading up their DT
So my question is really for those that have gone from DT to OT (or vis versa) -

was it the right choice?

Is the OT everything you wanted?

Pros/cons?

Thanks.

So are you one of those thatā€™s moved from the DT to the OT?

*edit

Youā€™re aware I was being flippant about it just being a sampler with a x fader? Course I knew it was more than that-itā€™s an elektron machine after all! :wink:

I think with OT MKII on the way and dropping soon, itā€™s best to compare DT to that.
When I look at the two, it is clear that while DT has some of its own tricks, OT is a bit more of a DT Pro, and DT a bit more of an OT Lite. So with that, the OLED screen and new buttons make the two even in those categories. Otherwiseā€¦

DT Pros:
Conditional Trigs/Fills (+ only Elektron sequencer to send conditional MIDI notes)
CTRL-ALL
MIDI over USB
A little more immediate
Forthcoming Overbridge upgrade (for digital multi-track recording via DAW)
Smaller footprint
2 rows of 8 steps is more physically logical for chromatic mode
1/2 the price.

OT (MKII) Pros:
Scenes
Stereo Sampling
4 analog outputs, 4 analog inputs
CF Card up to 64GB
Static Machines can play back long stereo files.
Live looping/pickup machines
One shot trigs.
Slide trigs.
80MB Flex Ram.
Slicing
More/assignable FX per track.
ā€œMaster Trackā€ / Compressor
Neighbor Routing
FX parameters can be p-locked (without using a MIDI track aā€™la DT)
3 LFOs per track
LFO Designer
MIDI ARP
Can act as a mixer for other gear.

4 Likes

A few more for OT:

-8 recorders(samplers) that can be fully automated with recorder trigs, and each recorder buffer is available as a sample to be pre arranged on sequencer tracks and updated when sampling, which can be continuous (The possibilities with this are extreme)

-Thru machines for monitoring external sources through fx that can also be sequenced
-Parts
-Trig modes: slices, slots, quick mute, delay control
-Audio editor
-Track scales
-ā€œPlays freeā€ tracks (tracks not launched by start button, disconnected from sequencer)
-Arranger
-Personalize menu to customize ui
-Setup menus for playback/filter/amp/lfo/fx for advanced configuration of how they operate

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more tooā€¦

4 Likes

Oh wow so you are getting the best of both worlds then. I hadnā€™t followed that thought process-having both. And fun is absolutely the right word fm to describe my experiences with the DT as well.

I too am praying for midi retrigs!

A DT pro. Thatā€™s a very interesting take on the mk2.

I was thinking OT og, would be the next step, but putting it that way has me thinking

I also wasnā€™t aware that it could be used as a mixer. I suspect that really does allow for it to be a live performance machine.

Is the slicing as you would expect, or is it slicing, but with a quirky elektron way of doing it?

Customisable UI? Crikey. I want that on my elektron machines!!!

A bit of both, and very powerful.
Check out the numerous ā€œOctatrack Sliceā€ videos on Youtube to get a taste.

1 Like

Indeed the list goes on and onā€¦

Thanks for amending!

2 Likes