Digitakt vs. Octatrack

I’ve had a bit of time the last couple of days and currently using DT alongside OT. DT currently handles drums , OT everything else. Coming around to the DT a bit more now, though if I had to choose there is no way I could get rid of OT. It’s just so versatile, and exciting and Scenes, man I love those and the cross fader so much.

I need to spend more time on the DT this week and watch a few videos.

2 Likes

So I’m in my 30-day return period for the Digitakt, but not for long.
Been already idly contemplating whether a DT or OT is preferable for my needs, but with the striking look and slightly improved workflow of the Octatrack mkII, this seems like a question I really have to consider. I’ve never used an OT so don’t really have a sense of what features they offer that the DT doesn’t/won’t.

Can someone help lay out the comparison better, with the mkII’s (largely but not entirely) aesthetic update in mind? Will have some notes/questions below from my still-beginner understanding…

-Loading samples - easy with the DT, bulk transfer of entire folders by USB. seems to be same with OT?

-DT has small on-board storage capacity, but should be plenty for one-shot samples. OT’s larger CF cards are better suited for long samples, making it perhaps more ideal for non-percussive uses - mangling long field recordings for drone/ambient tracks, for example? can still do that with DT, just not as much storage for it

-Building up songs - dedicated song mode in OT. ad hoc mangling and tweaking with the DT, intended to build up songs in more of a jammy, organic way (honestly this is what I do with the MD and A4 - song modes are offered but I’ve mostly ignored them. however I can much more easily see a use case for a sampler/sequencer like these boxes being the centerpiece for creating full tracks)

-MIDI sequencing external gear - DT is in the process of implementing/patching this. OT does this too it appears

-form factor - love the smaller form of the DT, appeals to me in a way that “just feels right” whereas the shape of traditional Elektron is more clunky. could even curl up on the couch with DT and work on stuff for hours comfortably

-sequencing - conditions and probability triggers are a big deal for me as I think pseudorandomness really adds liveliness, and I’m in for the Autechre-y feel of never allowing anything to exactly repeat if I can help it

-firmware - DT very much evolving rapidly now. OT seems finished, unless Elektron starts upgrading OT firmware again (would be amazing) (edit: appears this won’t be happening)

-button layout - the 8x2 layout of the DT makes more sense to my brain than the 16x1 layout, more intuitive for chromatic stuff and the like

-project workflow - with DT you just hit “save proj” and forget - with OT and traditional elektron there are the separate metaphors of projects and kits that need to be accounted for and saved on their own, right? that always felt frustrating - just something I’d rather not think about…

-lots of stuff I don’t understand yet, but might be cool - flex and static, scenes, etc. not sure?

-DT has less modulation/tweaking parameters. Master section is empty right now. no timestretch or slicing, which is surprising (OP-1 has these in various forms, as does ipad app Samplr). this is a big question mark for me - is DT too shallow ultimately to do the kind of deeper modulation and editing work I want? is this the main selling point of the OT over DT?

-forgot to mention, Overbridge on DT but not OT. since it’s not implemented yet I’m not entirely sure if it’s a gamechanger. using the DT as a sound card is intriguing as well.

I know this was not exactly the question, but considering what you’ve put in balance, I would definitely say keep your DT (disclaimer: I never used the OT). There will always be limitations on both machines, and finding creative solutions is part of the fun - e.g. for longer samples, you can grab an old Ipad and buy Samplr.

2 Likes

:pear:, definitely.

30 days return but the MkII isn’t here yet and will without doubt come a little later then promised as will it probably have some bugs to fix. Sell your DT when the time comes, get used to it’s workflow first, do research on OT (maybe play with it in a shop) and then decide.

You will probably be, not unlike like me and want both as these machines will without doubt be very powerful together.

2 Likes

For live performances I’ll stick to my dark duality for now: OT mk1 and AR.
But I admit I’m curious to see a grey combo in action.

1 Like

man, I’m disappointed in elektron right now. They give us the DT and it barely works and now they are releasing the OT MKII. I would of bought the new OT instead of wasting money on the DT

OT got a lot of flack when it came out too. Give it time, they’ll get the bugs fixed! Mostly… :loopy:

I had an OT and just spent so much time menu diving and getting confused. The DT on The other hand is a joy to use, and conditional trigs are vital to me too.

2 Likes

“barely works”

Hyperbole much?

1 Like

OT MKII is the same basic unit at OT MKI… if you didn’t want MKI over Digitakt then you shouldn’t want the MKII. Unless your deciding factor was solely based on button and screen quality and a few shortcut buttons. If you want I am sure you can flip your Digitakt as they are sold out pretty much everywhere you might look. Pretty much only one bad bug at the moment that is easy to work around I’ve had plenty of 4+hour sessions now in 1.03 with 0 crashes by avoiding the save proj shortcut.

4 Likes

To me, the DT is basically OT lite. (I know, it’s got OB, random trigs and granular effect which OT doesn’t), so zero interest for me as an OT owner. Will be interesting to see if many DT users decide to “upgrade” to OT. I think Elektron anticipate there will be quite a few, thus the OT MK2.

1 Like

…but how would peeps feel about “upgrading” without cond.trigs? Perhaps the OT will get those somehow yet?

Why would you chose OT MK II over DT but not OT? OT MK II isn’t any different from OT, they’re running the same OS and provide the same set of features.

1 Like

I very much doubt the OT / OT MK II will get conditional trigs. For OT Elektron representatives have stated on more than one occasion in this very forum that OT will not receive any new features, IIRC even conditional trigs specifically and I think it’s safe to assume the same holds true for MK II. Telling people now that OT MK II is only revamped hardware running the same OS would indeed be unfair to people who have just bought or will buy OT between now and when OT MK II becomes available. Having said that I like my OT no less since I got the DT, but I would certainly love conditional trigs on the OT.

2 Likes

They said it’s the same OS so to me that sounds like if MK2 will get cond trigs MK1 will get them too.

There’s really not much reason to “upgrade” and pay the extra and I am pretty sure they won’t move many of these units before all the MK1s are off the shelves and the MK2 price has dropped to where MK1 price is now.

That’s unless there’s still some surprise waiting beyond the things that are listed, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I think the only changes are the cosmetic ones, and maybe less menu diving on some things due to the new buttons. I didnt learn enough on my OT MK1 before selling, but now I am using the digitakt halfway in my sleep. Im wondering if I should MK2 it or just go back to MK1 and give it another learning go around. Now I will say as a graphic design major im a cosmetic snob, so I will admit the design of the MK2 is what I’d gladly pay extra for. But I need rationale folks like you guys to keep me from GASsin it lolol

1 Like

That’s true if you are just looking at a feature list… But I do think the Digitakt just straight up sounds better though especially if you are using oscillators to do wavetable type stuff, that stuff sounds sooo good on DT and fine on the OT. It is kind of an awkward split, OT is way more feature rich but DT is more quality rich in actual sound and in workflow. DT only has 1 reverb but it sounds better than any of the OT reverbs, DT has less filtertypes but they sound better than any of the OT filters, the bitcrusher and overdrive are all next level also, DT lets midi notes sustain even after new trigs OT cuts them off. DT is more of a spur of the moment improvisation while OT is more plan out these cool cross fade fx. There is lots of stuff DT straight up doesn’t do, slicing and time-stretch are probably the biggest to me. The sound of oscillator type stuff and the filters is enough better that I wouldn’t give up DT for OT (wouldn’t mind having both though). Having chromatic mode lay out like an actual keyboard is super nice as well. OT is god damn amazing but its sound engine is definitely a step below DT.

1 Like

Interesting for sure

Surely you can replicate the DT sound with the rytm sample side tho?

Interesting to hear that the MIDI seq is improved… Such a shame it is much more limited in terms of LFOs and arp.

1 Like