Digitakt vs. Octatrack

What’s that focus and how does it differ from the DT?

OctaTrack is more focused on Sampling, slicing, and live loop mangling. DT is more focused on sample playback of one shots and pre-recorded/pre-mangled loops.

I’m fairly proficient with the OT. I believe my long time experience with the box allows me to say that it’s a PITA to use compared to the DT.

Now try to use your slices in DT and tell me what ones a PITA… As I mentioned, they have their own functions and both do a great job at what they are made for.

The OT is actually very straight forward and easy to use. I’m sure most would agree after a “long time experience with the box”.

Its all a matter of taste, if your in it to just drop down some one shots and loops DT is your tool. If you want to dive into those samples even deeper, and have further customization of your sound OT is the tool.

You’re absolutely right. Thank you for the enlightenment

The Arp and midi Lfo’s controlling the arp are one of the best things in the OT for me. It’s the most powerful combination of functions for sequencing in all elektrons (not sure about the monomachine) imo. Generative territories easily achieved.

2 Likes

DT is great, simple fast, OT is powerful, flexible, deeper. If you are looking for more power on the sampling side OT, if you want a basic sampler with slighly different sequencer DT.

3 Likes
2 Likes

That’s a huge assumption. I know how to use those features correctly on my OT, but don’t find much use for them in my music. But I’m also less concerned about using my equipment to its fullest potential just for the sake of doing that. If the music I’m making satisfies me and makes me happy, my equipment is operating at its highest potential. This is not to say that I’m not open to learning and exploring new methods, etc.

Which one is best, :green_apple: or :pear:?

3 Likes

That’s not exactly a right comparison.
Eating two different FRUITS you base your preference on taste and etc.
DT vs OT are not very similar specs wise :wink:

Haha yes!
But you could also argue that fruits have very unique specifications as well. If you for example look at nutritions, visual and physical attributes etc.

For example: “I love bananas because they are so wondwerful to hold”

I guess you are right… bananas tend to constipate some people yet apples are like a flush train :grinning:

But to be honest I’m not sure what happened to me because I was never really interested in Elektron stuff.
Now I got A4 arriving on Monday, DT under two weeks and I’m already watching demos of the OT as I do like the full sampler capabilities and the crossfader :astonished::scream:
I don’t compare DT and OT to be honest as I know DT will be mostly for weird beat stuff but the OT can take me much further in terms of even sample lenght and so on. I just need to figure out how does it work with Cubase and how can make it all work.

1 Like

Hey thanks but I don’t think this answered my question. I’m thinking about composing on the go using samples, and then switching patterns over to using MIDI and external gear at home. Is that possible on DT do you know?

once they release the overbridge software that includes the Digitakt. yes…sort of. I have used overbridge with the rytm and the analog keys. Works great! it will sync up with your gear in reverse as well. I said “sort of” because the midi will live on your Digitakt sequencer and the overbridge software does not have a built in sequencer or midi import yet. I am hoping I can take midi clips from ableton and drag it to the digitakt…but it really defeats the purpose of buying this expensive gear since they have sequencers. The overbridge software basically saves all your song, sound and filter settings from project to project. Elektron makes awesome sounding gear but it is mainly aimed toward the electronic 64 step sequencer filter tweaker crowd…you sort of need ableton or another DAW if you are producing pop or rock songs.

The samples will be synced with overbridge as well…On The OT you can save all your samples to a CF card and you just made me realize there is no external storage on the DT. dangit. Hopefully OVERBRIDGE premium will have midi and sample import and swapping as well.

that was me…

Sounds like your about to be in a good spot to do away with cubase all together =). I haven’t had much fun driving my OT with midi through a daw, but I use AKeys midi out to ableton and back to internal voices via OB for live looping outside of the sequencer, sure the same can be done with A4/Cubase, just maybe a little more cumbersome.

I think I am leaning towards this scenario :slight_smile:
Though I still have plenty of other stuff that I want sequenced through cubase so I just need to wrap my head around the process.
For most part if I can get them to sync without issues I might as well just dump audio directly and sequence elektrons from the hardware side.

The DT is buggy responding to midi right now. OS 1.02 did not fix it.