Digitakt v MPC Live: real buyers survey (UK£)

Point of pedantry Motty…

"Nearly all the Brazilian supporters are wearing yellow shirts – it’s a fabulous kaleidoscope of colour!”

:wink:

2 Likes

I was quoting from memory, and it’s not what it used to be. Luckily you youngsters have got facechat search and whatnot to look these things up in cyberspace. I remember when Beckham scored only his second goal for England but it was his fourth or fifth from a free kick.

3 Likes

Very sweet of you to refer to me as “youngster”!
Made my week that has. :blush:
Who can forget the ultimate classic?

“For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the yellow strip.”

Gotta love Motty!

1 Like

As mostly a fingerdrummer these days Mpc live for me, if it’s sufficiently fast and fun might sell my toraiz and buy a digitakt (is it a bad sign that autocorrect wants me to say “digital toy” :stuck_out_tongue: ) several months later.

This is fun. Thanks for doing this

There’ll be groans but can you switch me back to just MPC… DT hit the crossbar!

The excited talk of ballache workarounds, already, has put me off… The whole ‘sample stream just to get more one-shots’, Ugh… It’s cool on OP1 cos points can be ‘auto/random’ or ‘set’ and you can play it like slices, and polyphonically, but that much stress just for extra one-shot sounds, nah… The thought of MPC being able to have the entire DT project sound pool of 128 samples laid out in banks of pads kind of sums it up for me… And figured that MPC can provide me with quasi-conditional trigs galore on my OT/other gear. So it’s just the granular stuff on the DT that I’m gassing on for now…

I have a feeling they’ll refine/expand the DT a lot over updates (slots mode for more than 8 playable samples to hand at once, poss ‘snap to transient’ start point scrubbing for picking stuff out of ‘sample streams’ etc) and I’ll come back to it but for now it’s just too much crossover with my OT/too lacking and a fun/luxury item I can’t really afford.

Decent box but I have legit need for a hardware poly so the new 6 voice deepmind has taken DT’s spot in the rearview mirror…

3 Likes

It’s like a merry go round!

I too groan a little at the workarounds folks are already dreaming up. Those Cenk videos are fantastic but when I hear how folk think they will use DT I’m just thinking “these are the kind of reasons I sold my OT” (though I do regret that…).

I think I’ve settled on the DM12 desktop (no idea when that arrives) but still a slot for a hardware sampler…

2 Likes

MPC Live for me. I own an OT and a MDUW so there is too much crossover but I really like the form factor and functionality of the DT. My main interest in the MPC Live is the promise of adding Ableton Link support and also the USB host for my OP-1.

1 Like

Digitakt 18
MPC Live 23
Both 4

It looks like a one-man show here, although there are two men involved.

4 Likes

Clearly MPC Live for me, but I hope to not disappointed by it in time. What i do know is i will buy only hybrid gear from now on. Only device who speed the workflow, who speed routing, recording, control… in general with or without the computer. So, the TORAIZ will gone because it’s not giving me much… P-locks is very limited if you exclude FX destination, i can’t mixed with it without sacrificing the FX1, also i always put some very long evolving layers with random beat-repeat prepared on Ableton Live and i can’t drop it on the TORAIZ… and probably never be able to do it. But I’m sad to return it because i really love the sound and i’m sure in LIVE it allow to be reward instantly on that sound quality. But as my Live is not written i will focus on that before !!! it will give time to pioneer to make it maybe more the way i want it and then maybe i will reconsider it.

i sold a lot lately for personal reasons, included my HEAT and not happy but I will take a second time when i will approaching my Live ready status (because I already know it will get through the HEAT before to be heard). For now I focus on composition.

[ Analog Rytm / Analog Keys (mono) ] + MicroMonsta (poly) + MPC Live (Program + Long Layers) > Behringer X16 > :loud_sound: Focal CMS50 + SubCMS (Headphones AKG K702 + Ultrasone Pro900)
iMac at some point to prepare and Finnish few EP before to propose the Live.

Thats the PLAN, if Akai would like to release the damn thing but as i reduce the setup i can’t start in Ableton for now so… it’s ok)

Maybe i will regret the Octatrack for working on Long Layers so it’s still on my Gear List.

1 Like

I hear you William. I had to sell a Tempest recently for practical life reasons. Sucks to let it go.

What am I missing most about it? Well…, A lot. But the incredibly snappy pad performance finger drumming playability - off the charts. I have a Nord Drum 2 plus Pad which is also killer for this, but can’t get around latency when using the Pad to trigger samples in Ableton etc. I’m incredibly sensitive to it, even if the buffer’s down at 64 samples.

Tried out a Touch the other day. As a controller, Push 2 feels way better for everything except playong the pads. If the Live feels as snappy as Tempest latency-wise, the fact that it’s standalone might just be the ticket. So I’m leaning heavily towards the Live. I will let this thread know when I lock in my decision. Digitakt looks amazing but mainly lack of stereo = can’t justify the price for me.

2 Likes

My shop emailed me says my Live ships to me in a week.:fearful:

Don’t know whether to thank them or bring a baseball bat and wreck their store yelling “LIARS!”

4 Likes

Digitakt 18
MPC Live 25
Both 4

‘Not the first half you might have expected - even though the score might suggest that it was.’

4 Likes

Do Both jus In case

I change my choice, -1 for Mpc live, + 1 for Digitakt

I love simplicity, i love small device, i love this kind of sampling

Unfortunately i cant make music at the moment

I’m definitely getting both, just was surprised to get the news. I was hoping to get both at the same date.:grin:

Digitakt 19
MPC Live 24
Both 4

The referee is wearing the same yellow-coloured top as the Slovakian goalkeeper. I’d have thought the Uefa official would have spotted that - but perhaps he’s been deafened by the noise of this crowd.’

3 Likes

I wonder what this survey would look like right now if Elektron had gone stereo instead of mono for the DT.

3 Likes

Eh. Mono is probably best for the limited storage size. And the storage size is probably best to keep price low. The method of storage is probably best for the firmware organizational structure necessary for the efficient flow of the units software

3 Likes

Good question but this is obviously just fun and hardly scientific - We’ve got around 50 participants who may or may not be representative of the target market for Digitakt. Two things we can observe:

1. Digitakt votes were boosted significantly after the recent demos
  2. Digitakt has probably split the install base customers v MPC Live for those interested in a new sampler/groovebox fornat. If we consider that price point is similar enough and those existing Elektron customers would have ignored the Live if Digitakt had offered whatever “more” means for them (Stereo, battery power, innovation etc have been headlines in the various discussions).

I also suspect there are quite a few more “both” votes than declared - most of us here will at least want a dabble with the Digitakt - we’re Elektronauts at heart and many of us self confessed gear junkies - so who will resist remains to be seen :slight_smile:

Actually, none of the players are wearing earrings. Kjeldberg, with his contact lenses, is the closest we can get.’

6 Likes